wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123
Rain Water Harvesting
Nicky thompson
#41 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 2:26:55 PM

nyce! lets send these Nairobi water and sewerage company employees on early retirement. They have been doing alot of nothing its about time they did that at home.
majimaji
#42 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 3:39:08 PM

In ASAL areas where it may rain once, all roof catchment may be collected and stored.
Tank size thus = Annual rainfall x roof area x run-off co-efficient

eg. Take Kamulu Area:
Annual rainfall (90% probability) - 500mm/year
Roof area - let's say 10m x 20m = 200m sq
Run-off coeff for mabati roof - 0.9 (it means you get 90% on the rain falling on the roof)

Tank size = 500/1000 x 200 x 0.9 = 90 m cubic

The most critical parameter in ASAL areas is to have storage that will span the drought period. Further, 90% probability rainfall for the area (not average rainfall)should be used. For the most economical design, always consult a water(civil) engineer esp if your only water source is rain.
#43 Posted : Monday, August 01, 2011 3:50:38 PM

Very good ideas. When I build I'll borrow the rain harvesting concept from you.
For now we have a farm we run (green house) using drip method and what we've done is we've dug a well and installed an electric pump which fills 1,000l tanks. When I learnt this I was over the moon because we were stuck and we could never have afforded a borehole.

BBI will solve it
:)
murchr
#44 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2015 1:54:27 AM

Trying to figure out how best to use rain water that flows to the shamba after rains. My thinking is that I could use it when it dries up, but how best do I store it? Anyone?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Swenani
#45 Posted : Monday, November 09, 2015 9:39:41 AM

murchr wrote:
Trying to figure out how best to use rain water that flows to the shamba after rains. My thinking is that I could use it when it dries up, but how best do I store it? Anyone?

underground Water pans
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
Tokyo
#46 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 11:56:07 AM

Any advice where to buy PVC gutter system?
work to prosper
Njung'e
#47 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 12:30:07 PM

@Tokyo,

Yasin Technology, hapo Mlololngo. It's a Chinese Company but they have very well and aesthetic and beatiful PVC gutters, downcomers and their accessories. Call them on 0776007293.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
Tokyo
#48 Posted : Monday, December 19, 2016 3:29:55 PM

Njung'e wrote:
@Tokyo,

Yasin Technology, hapo Mlololngo. It's a Chinese Company but they have very well and aesthetic and beatiful PVC gutters, downcomers and their accessories. Call them on 0776007293.

Asante sana. Will call them.
work to prosper
Taurrus
#49 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 11:48:49 AM

Tokyo wrote:
Any advice where to buy PVC gutter system?

Japan ama?smile
Chaka
#50 Posted : Friday, December 30, 2016 12:43:21 PM

Are there special filters used to keep out twigs,dust etc.. from entering the water tank i,e if the water is for domestic use?
duky
#51 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 8:47:31 AM

Gathige wrote:

Anyone out who needs tips on how to harness rain water for your home use? I recently completed two projects and happy that all my water needs are sorted out and no one will ever bill me for water!

Would be happy to share tips with anyone interested on how to do it right and avoid being conned my masons!

@Gathige
Are your concrete tanks still serving you well? Kindly send me the contacts of your fundi on kpaulm@yahoo.co.uk Appreciated
hardwood
#52 Posted : Tuesday, January 03, 2017 12:35:34 PM

Chaka wrote:
Are there special filters used to keep out twigs,dust etc.. from entering the water tank i,e if the water is for domestic use?

Yes. They are called first flush diverters.

http://www.rainharvest.c...first-flush-diverter.asp
sysdevPM
#53 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 3:36:20 PM

Barrywhite wrote:
@nostoppingthis,@tom_boy

hello Barry

what model of pedrollo are you using to pump the grey water ? the special trash pumps ama kawaida ones?

I agree. I have done the same. I did totally independent plumbing work for black water, and for grey water. Black water is generally of very little volume and that goes to a small sceptic tank and the waste decomposes naturally without any intervention by me. The grey water - bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and run-off from the compound goes to a soak pit, where l have installed a small pedrollo pump and have run the piping along the perimeter wall and the house perimeter. Twice a week, l switch on the pump for one hour. My lawn is ever green!

sysdevPM
#54 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 3:45:18 PM

Barrywhite wrote:
@nostoppingthis,@tom_boy
heI agree. I have done the same. I did totally independent plumbing work for black water, and for grey water. Black water is generally of very little volume and that goes to a small sceptic tank and the waste decomposes naturally without any intervention by me. The grey water - bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and run-off from the compound goes to a soak pit, where l have installed a small pedrollo pump and have run the piping along the perimeter wall and the house perimeter. Twice a week, l switch on the pump for one hour. My lawn is ever green!

Amores
#55 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:15:00 AM

Hello all,
I know these are old threads but am looking for fundi to construct an underground water tank. Anyone with contacts ?
I am happy
newfarer
#56 Posted : Tuesday, September 10, 2019 6:50:32 AM

Amores wrote:
Hello all,
I know these are old threads but am looking for fundi to do construct an underground water tank. Anyone with contacts ?

try

+254 722 894121 very calm and responsible .
punda amecheka
mjuaji wa stocks
#57 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 11:37:46 AM

@Gathige,

I need some info from you

Kindly revert mjuajiwastocks@gmail.com
God gave me the power to make wealth ... Blessed the work of my hands & enabled be A SELF MADE BILLIONAIRE ...... TO GOD THE FATHER OF MY LORD JESUS CHRIST; BE THE GLORY NOW & FOREVER MORE!

kayhara
#58 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 1:30:58 PM

Chaka wrote:

start with getting gutter mesh it filters out the big leaves and insects.

then try the first flush system which catches the first liters of rain before directing to your tank, you need to maintain it though.

try the wet system instead of going from the roof directly to the tank try bringing the downpipe to the ground run it across the ground then up to your tank I find this better because it acts as a first flush system and does not bring sediments into the tank.

To Each His Own
Gathige
#59 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2020 4:08:06 PM

mjuaji wa stocks wrote:
@Gathige,

I need some info from you

Kindly revert mjuajiwastocks@gmail.com

Done, Check your inbox
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
amorphous
#60 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2020 5:03:58 PM

kayhara wrote:
Chaka wrote:

start with getting gutter mesh it filters out the big leaves and insects.

then try the first flush system which catches the first liters of rain before directing to your tank, you need to maintain it though.

try the wet system instead of going from the roof directly to the tank try bringing the downpipe to the ground run it across the ground then up to your tank I find this better because it acts as a first flush system and does not bring sediments into the tank.

You guys are complicating a very simple issue with unnecessary madoido mob.
If you have an underground tank, have a wet system as delineated by Kayhara above, install inspection tees that come above ground at every corner, link all the pipes together and then connect them into the underground tank. At the lowest point of the system, install a very short inspection tee. When it rains, this will be your first flush point. Leaves and debris are hardly an issue for me but BIRD POOP is, and like it or not some of it will dissolve into your system upende usipende. About 1-2 minutes of first flushing will sort out of the bulk of this problem (I know hard to do in a water-scarce region like dustbowl) but necessary. The underground tank itself then serves as your SECOND FLUSH system. All the tiny solid particles that make it into the tank will settle at the bottom when all is said and done. CLEAN YOUR TANK at least twice a year to remove this stuff. It is made up mostly of HARMLESS things like clay/cement (from roof if made of tile) and bits of sand. From there, if you are smart, you will not waste your time building a hideous looking (and expensive) water tower high above your house. Build an ATTIC TANK of at least 1500-2000 litres (can fit very comfortably in the average maisonette roof). No unsightly concrete towers, no hefty expense, just a good clean hidden tank within your attic. This is you THIRD FLUSH system, because any further debris will settle at the bottom of it too. Clean it at least FOUR TIMES a year. I prefer to clean with bleach and vinegar alternately over time. I also have a second separate pump for my solar water heater on the roof. The tank holds 100L which is more than enough for a good weekend dip in the hot tub upstairs. I use tankless water heaters downstairs (the beautiful ones that rest on the wall, not those ugly cheap instant showers) wherever there is a showerhead. I do this of course to conserve water as baths "eat" too much water. The tank pressure is more than perfect for them. I dump the requisite amount of bleach (you can find how much you need to use for your capacity of tank from various sources online) into the underground tank as soon as the rain dies down and adjust according to how full the tank is. This sorts 95% of any organism/algae/contamination etc problem. Most importantly, I ONLY use this water for bathing, washing dishes and other household tasks. NOT for drinking. For drinking and cooking I further filter and clean the water and store in a water dispenser in the kitchen.

NIMESEMA!
New Normal!