wazua Mon, May 6, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Online Export Enterprise In Kenya
NapendaPesa
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 09, 2010 5:09:36 PM

I'm in the process of researching on the feasibility of setting up an online shop whose market base will purely be international clientele.
One of the hurdles i had faced was in the payment mechanism as Paypal doesn't operate in Africa. Google Checkout solved this problem.
My only other challenge currently is in figuring the most appropriate and pocket friendly goods delivery system. I have knocked courier (DHL and the like) off as they are quite costly. I'm leaning towards the normal post which in many countries in the west is pretty organised;

1) What are your thoughts on this?
2) Apart from taxes is there anything i need to know about exporting goods in Kenya?

PS: The goods i intend to export range between 1KG to 15 KGs
muzalendo
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 14, 2010 9:34:45 PM

@N-Pesa this is a good idea.I wud add yu check on securicor and other security firms which offer guaranteed courier services plus other well organised transport shuttle courier services.You may check on various routes depending on where yu want to sell yua products.Every province has a reliable shuttle system which will deliver at their regional office from Nbi at a minimal cost for your sales rep to pick and distribute.
Maybe the other thing yu need to know is the demand for your products,knowing the market is too congested with generics from Some Asian countries as this might take time to sell.
DonBen
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 20, 2010 6:29:55 AM

N-P

I think you may need to get a customs agents licence.

The licence will facilitate direct export/import documentation by your company and government authorities and will enable you negotiate directly with cargo airlines as opposed to dealing with intermediate courier companies like DHL and others who in most cases also acquire the same licence for trading.

Apart from fast tracking your transit times, you will dramatically reduce your freight and handling costs if you do this. Best of all, you will also be able to accept and process exports/imports on behalf of unlicenced firms / people.

http://www.kra.go.ke/cus...clearingagentsproc.html