wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

EPS technology, Interlocking blocks and Ndarugo
tinker
#1 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 10:08:43 AM

For last few days, there was Kenya Home Expo @KICC of the many booth, I visited, my attention
was focused on 2 of them:
1. Where EPS building technology was being showcased.
2. Where interlocking blocks were showcased.

Am interested in above cases as either of them is promising a cost cut upto 30% less.

Some of the way of cost cutting measure promised by the above technology are;
1. Reducing the number of Fundis/and days spent at the site.
2. Reducing the amount of building materials (Sand & Cement) needed esp in case of interlocking blocks.

Bone of contention
However the bone of contention is when I suggested either of this to my contractor cum architect.
Unfortunately, the contractor rubbished both of the options and insisted on Ndarugo stones.

My Fear
Could it be true that, my contractor is opposing the techonology just because he want to extend the time he spend in site
and the fact that he is involved in supply of material?

Fellow Wazuan, help your brother in need to figure this out.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
UpcomingPaperChaser
#2 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 11:46:40 AM

interlocking bricks tend to wear off pretty fast, especially those located towards the floor on the outside part...........of course its durability you cant compare with the other stones!!
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
nakujua
#3 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 1:15:54 PM

To be fair to your contractor, there is always a slight learning curve when it comes to new stuff - unless you are planning to get a new contractor experiencde in the same, you don't want the fundis experimenting on the new technology on your house.

Still for a single unit I don't think there is much difference, unless you are putting up many units, so your contractor might be right in the single unit sense.
majimaji
#4 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 3:40:18 PM

EPS and interlocking are both more expensive than ndarugo. do the maths.
Sober
#5 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 4:17:29 PM

tinker wrote:
For last few days, there was Kenya Home Expo @KICC of the many booth, I visited, my attention
was focused on 2 of them:
1. Where EPS building technology was being showcased.
2. Where interlocking blocks were showcased.

Am interested in above cases as either of them is promising a cost cut upto 30% less.

Some of the way of cost cutting measure promised by the above technology are;
1. Reducing the number of Fundis/and days spent at the site.
2. Reducing the amount of building materials (Sand & Cement) needed esp in case of interlocking blocks.

Bone of contention
However the bone of contention is when I suggested either of this to my contractor cum architect.
Unfortunately, the contractor rubbished both of the options and insisted on Ndarugo stones.

My Fear
Could it be true that, my contractor is opposing the techonology just because he want to extend the time he spend in site
and the fact that he is involved in supply of material?

Fellow Wazuan, help your brother in need to figure this out.

Shame on you Shame on you What is a contract?
To me it means having to construct the aid house according to the brief given, which in most cases is costed(Bill of Quantities) before being awarded to the contractor.
Any person would not like changes along the way as this exposes one to the risks they were not privy to when the job began.

If one wants to introduce a new technology, it's advice able that it is done at design stage so that when engaging a contractor they are fully aware of what they may be facing,
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
tinker
#6 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 5:25:11 PM

To allow us look at it more objectively, lets consider someone planning to build a 4 storey flats of 8 x 2B/room per floor.
and in effort to help those who may have a plan or are still in design stage and wishing to develop the project in Nairobi suburb. will it make economical and engineering sense to use either.

Interlocking bricks or
EPS building technology

The cost of one Interlocking brick is Ksh 70 per brick which is (400 x 200 x 190)cm -slightly larger than standard Ndarugo stone which cost about 55 per Ft.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..