wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

car engine switches off randomly
faa
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 4:06:17 PM

Hello,

What could be the problem when a car engine switches off randomly...the problem started two or 3 days ago

Please advise

Thanks
obiero
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 5:09:45 PM

faa wrote:
Hello,

What could be the problem when a car engine switches off randomly...the problem started two or 3 days ago

Please advise

Thanks

Car make? Manual or auto? Slow speeds only or even on highway (unlikely)?

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
sparkly
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2015 10:59:47 PM

faa wrote:
Hello,

Please advise

Thanks

If it switches off with a "cough" get the fuel system checked. If it just "dies" quietly, there is a problem in the electrical system.
Life is short. Live passionately.
faa
#4 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:39:59 AM

It's an automatic car.

Could be electrical since it just switches off then restarts Within 30 seconds or less.

Does this randomly mostly on slow speeds.

Also, noticed that sometimes the car doesn't start, all lights are off. After just touching th battery plugs alittle,sparks show and the car dashboard LED comes on and it can now start.

enyands
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:07:50 AM

faa wrote:
It's an automatic car.

Could be electrical since it just switches off then restarts Within 30 seconds or less.

Also, noticed that sometimes the car doesn't start, all lights are off. After just touching th battery plugs alittle,sparks show and the car dashboard LED comes on and it can now start.

You have a loose terminal connection to your battery . You need to tighten it up . Also just note that everytime you lose connection to your battery the rpm gauge will always be low and sound like it wants to switch off the engine .it will be like this for a while till the engine adjusts itself so dont worry.it should be somewhere a little lower than 1000 rpm.im sure by now it's somewhere 500rpm.
Swenani
#6 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 9:59:38 AM

faa wrote:
It's an automatic car.

Check for corrosion on the battery terminals and clean it with soda ash or cocacola or check for loose battery terminals then send me a cheque for 20K to wazuafishmonger@gmail.com
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
enyands
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:07:19 AM

faa wrote:
It's an automatic car.

You have a loose terminal connection to your battery . You need to tighten it up . Also just note that everytime you lose connection to your battery the rpm gauge will always be low and sound like it wants to switch off the engine .it will be like this for a while till the engine adjusts itself so dont worry.it should be somewhere a little lower than 1000 rpm.im sure by now it's somewhere 500rpm.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 12:57:14 PM

do people still drive cars!!! why not buy a 2-seater chopper and fly?
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
hardwood
#9 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 8:20:59 PM

faa wrote:
Hello,

Please advise

Thanks

Had a similar problem some yrs ago with auto car. Kwa jam, the rpms would go down to less than 500 rpm and engine would stop. Problem disappeared when i put a new battery.
Ash Ock
#10 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2015 10:55:36 PM

faa wrote:
Hello,

Please advise

Thanks

Too little information to receive any meaningful assistance.

Age of car?
Auto or manual?
Could be shutting down to prevent engine damage like too low oil, too high temp, coolant, etc....
Shuts off on load or idling?
Mechanical accelerator or drive-by-wire?
Alternator? Check dome lighting?
Etc.

First step is to diagnose the car (if it's not an old clunker like mine).

Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
majimaji
#11 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:30:11 AM

just add petrol.
Horton
#12 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 9:44:47 AM

I have had that before. Check battery
kayhara
#13 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 11:57:50 AM

Car experts please tell I won't have to cough up alot of money for this: Madams suzuki swift was driven over a rock which dented the ATF fluid sump, the car started giving a high pitched sound, Madam took it to some random mechanic and they opened the sump and straightened the dent, then put in new ATF 4 liters the car lost all power wont even move had to be towed, tell me that the gear box is okay or I am screwed. they used a cheap ATF 300 a liter.
To Each His Own
enyands
#14 Posted : Monday, October 19, 2015 4:20:47 PM

kayhara wrote:
Car experts please tell I won't have to cough up alot of money for this: Madams suzuki swift was driven over a rock which dented the ATF fluid sump, the car started giving a high pitched sound, Madam took it to some random mechanic and they opened the sump and straightened the dent, then put in new ATF 4 liters the car lost all power wont even move had to be towed, tell me that the gear box is okay or I am screwed. they used a cheap ATF 300 a liter.

After hit some rocks there is a high possibility that it affected the gears themselves for they were grinding each other hence high pitched noise .they were grinding themselves . I can't tell you if the gear box is ok but u need an expert to look at it .but be ready to buy new transmission box . Www.Beforward.jp have good shipping arrangements for cars and engines and gear boxes /transmission engines . Talk to them after your car is reviewed with an expert