wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Windows 10 Mobile
geofreygachie
#1 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2015 9:10:26 PM

Earlier this year i moved from Android to Windows 8.1 and i was very happy with the ecosystem.
I have found it very convenient to sync data between windows 10 and my current phone platform (Windows 10 Mobile Insider build).This will be a platform to reckon with hoping all goes as planned.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Cornelius Vanderbilt
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 10:42:02 AM

geofreygachie wrote:
Earlier this year i moved from Android to Windows 8.1 and i was very happy with the ecosystem.
I have found it very convenient to sync data between windows 10 and my current phone platform (Windows 10 Mobile Insider build).This will be a platform to reckon with hoping all goes as planned.

bad move . and you canNOT compare windoes ecosystem and android ecosystem.thats why android is number one mobile platform
Nimerudi
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 12:06:48 PM

Windows Phone is a dead platform. Limited apps + No developer interest. Heck, Microsoft provides better apps on iOS and Android than its own platform. That said, continuum will be interesting to watch.
geofreygachie
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 2:12:35 PM

Cornelius Vanderbilt wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

bad move . and you canNOT compare windoes ecosystem and android ecosystem.thats why android is number one mobile platform

We are all have had bad moves in life. Lumia + Windows is not one of the bad moves for me.
I think it depends with how you use your phone.I got the Lumia 730 Dual Sim and frankly speaking the build quality is way above what i could have on Android( and some Lumia have Carl Zeiss optics for some crisp photos as you can see below ,that even flagships on other platforms fail to deliver).I also hate bloatware which is the order of the day in Android and a standard user has no way to uninstall them.Luckily on windows you can uninstall ANY APP and maintain a lean phone .Regarding the apps.I only use the browser ,Emails,Microsoft Office Suite + onenote,whatsapp and Here Maps (offline),Onedrive 40GB ,Skype,Remote Desktop.
All this and i manage to have 2 days from full charge to 10 %.
* Windows will update phones which are more than one year old since official release date.The same cannot be said on Android with a big number still stuck on Android 4.x while the current version 6 (fragmentation).
Fact:The biggest power bank market is for Android users. Thats why even manufacturers will sell you a phone with a bundled power bank.its that bad.
I hope this does not degenerate to Windows Mobile vs iSheep and Fandroid war as it has been experienced elsewhere.We all have unique platform needs only that i find Windows mobile best suited for my day to day activities.
Long live Windows mobile.

Some photos i have captured using the phone.

Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Nimerudi
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 4:08:42 PM

Glad to see you're enjoying it. I'm on an LG G4 (black) and I've also enjoyed it so far. However, there's some misconceptions about android on your post. I also use a Lumia 640 for work.

1. Build quality is subjective. Honestly speaking a majority of flagships would be above and beyond the 730 you've got. S6/G4/Z5/Moto X for instance.
2. Bloatware can be removed easily. If persistent, rooting will definitely work.
3. All those Microsoft apps are on Android and iOS, and are better supported there Laughing out loudly. Btw Samsung was giving 115gb of Onedrive storage if that's a selling point to you. I also got 100gb of Google Drive with my G4.

4. Yes, I agree fragmentations is an issue. But on low-end phones. Most flagships will definitely get ver 6.
5. Yep, many android phones get crap battery life. I'm satisfied with my phone though.
6. Current Android flagships outperform any current Lumia (with the exception of the 1020 and 808). Check DxOmark Mobile.

Here's some random pics from my phone as well. Cheers.

geofreygachie
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 10, 2015 9:33:50 PM

Nimerudi wrote:
Glad to see you're enjoying it. I'm on an LG G4 (black) and I've also enjoyed it so far. However, there's some misconceptions about android on your post. I also use a Lumia 640 for work.

1. Build quality is subjective. Honestly speaking a majority of flagships would be above and beyond the 730 you've got. S6/G4/Z5/Moto X for instance.
2. Bloatware can be removed easily. If persistent, rooting will definitely work. Uninstalling windows preloaded apps is easy just long press the app and you have uninstall option !Bingo.Its that easy.
3. All those Microsoft apps are on Android and iOS, and are better supported there Laughing out loudly. Btw Samsung was giving 115gb of Onedrive storage (free storage for two years) if that's a selling point to you. I also got 100gb of Google Drive with my G4.(free storage for two years)

4. Yes, I agree fragmentations is an issue. But on low-end phones. Most flagships will definitely get ver 6.
5. Yep, many android phones get crap battery life. I'm satisfied with my phone though.Applause
6. Current Android flagships outperform any current Lumia (with the exception of the 1020 and 808). Check DxOmark Mobile.

Here's some random pics from my phone as well. Cheers.

Happy to note that the Work Phone is a Windows Phone.Applause

The photos you have embedded are superb however most if not all the phones you have indicated above are north of Ksh 45,000, thats almost double the cost of 730.
I am not hating,just appreciating the pros and cons on platforms depending on needs.
holycow
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2015 7:57:43 AM

I love the battery life of Microsoft Windows 640 xl, use it as my primary phone. The only challenge I have is copying contacts from phone to SIM card(hope this is fixed in Windows 10 mobile) . I also got a Note 33, the phone is yet to get Lollipop. Rooting a phone voids the warranty, so I'm stuck with Kitkat but as soon as my 2 year warranty is done, I'm rooting and getting me self Marshmallow.
Gordon Gekko
#8 Posted : Sunday, October 11, 2015 9:50:42 AM

@holycow, google on the average release an Android version every year. Marshmallow is 6, chances are at the end of your warranty they will be on Android 9,maybe codenamed peremende.

BTW peremende isn't a joke. Each version has been named following the alphabet:

Cupcake (1.5)
Donut (1.6)
Eclair (2.0–2.1)
Froyo (2.2–2.2.3)
Gingerbread (2.3–2.3.7)
Honeycomb (3.0–3.2.6)[a]
Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0–4.0.4)
Jelly Bean (4.1–4.3.1)
Kit Kat (5)
Lollipop (5)
Marshmallow(6)
N.... (7)
O..... (8)
Peremende(9)
masukuma
#9 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2015 8:02:57 PM

I was one of the 1st people to get a windows phone - I bought myself a windows phone on New Years 2011. I loved the classy feel plus the OS was sleek and jumpy. it really gives you the perception that you it's a really fast thing. it's almost like an appliance - you switch it on and work on it. No one really feels that their microwave is slow right coz it does what it does. I however waited for them to catchup with the Android Ecosystem and they could not so - I SWITCHED. I have been using some Android phones for quite sometime I think I have owned close to 5 phones. Android is a whole different ball game - it's easy to program! It's API set is great but of course this makes it a bit... well Kinda like Windows.... the phone is as good as the apps you have on it and it can be quite laggy. But it's the wild west - while there is unlawfulness, there is also opportunity.
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Swenani
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2015 12:39:55 PM

masukuma wrote:
I was one of the 1st people to get a windows phone - I bought myself a windows phone on New Years 2011. I loved the classy feel plus the OS was sleek and jumpy. it really gives you the perception that you it's a really fast thing. it's almost like an appliance - you switch it on and work on it. No one really feels that their microwave is slow right coz it does what it does. I however waited for them to catchup with the Android Ecosystem and they could not so - I SWITCHED. I have been using some Android phones for quite sometime I think I have owned close to 5 phones. Android is a whole different ball game - it's easy to program! It's API set is great but of course this makes it a bit... well Kinda like Windows.... the phone is as good as the apps you have on it and it can be quite laggy. But it's the wild west - while there is unlawfulness, there is also opportunity.

5phones from 2011? I have only owned 2 phones since then!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
nakujua
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:41:44 PM

Swenani wrote:
masukuma wrote:

5phones from 2011? I have only owned 2 phones since then!

hizo ni mingi, in my smartphone life I have only owned 2 phones an ideos bought post election violence ya 07 at that point I thought life was too short and the ideos was the most expensive investment for me back then inclusive of my monthly rent. smile
and a tecno I can't even remember when I bought, but at least before the dynamic duo came into office.
nakujua
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2015 10:43:45 PM

masukuma wrote:

I though wewe ni microsoft damu, at least when it comes to coding platform, kwa nini ulihepa - usiniambie ati unag'eg'ana na java sasa. smile
masukuma
#13 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2015 1:03:51 PM

nakujua wrote:
masukuma wrote:

I though wewe ni microsoft damu, at least when it comes to coding platform, kwa nini ulihepa - usiniambie ati unag'eg'ana na java sasa. smile

hehe... I learnt java like back in 2002 and my .NET movement was actually assisted by this knowledge. I have been playing both sides (I use a Mac these days with both OSes), Still making my living from M$ stuff but hoping that future unga will come from the other stuff. So yeah... I have coded off and on using Java for the last 13 years...
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!