wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages«<89101112>»
Harambee Stars
masukuma
#181 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:43:46 PM

kaka2za wrote:
@ Masukuma Sports are not just about winning. Only about ten nations have won the world cup but the game would surely die if other nations gave up.

Kenya is good at athletics but it's hard to get a crowd of 5,000 even during the national trials. On Sunday,I and over 20,000 Kenyans flocked the Nyayo stadium though we knew the odds were against us. We love the game,win or lose ,it remains the most popular sport.

True... thats the reason we cannot accept facts when they look us in the face and spit at us! Coz of LOVE.... mpenda chongo huona Kengeza...
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
Alba
#182 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 9:04:39 PM

The two links below provide a sampling of Kenyan players who have received scholarships to play basketball in the USA. This helps reduce youth unemmployment and gives youth opportunities they would not receive had they stayed in Kenya.

http://kenyapage.net/basketball/others.html

http://kenyapage.net/basketball/abroad.html

If Kenya basketball was better organized and with a little investment, even more youth would get scholarships and Kenya could be one of Africa's best in basketball.

Again sports is not just about winning. Its also about giving youth opportunities and not giving up as masukuma is suggesting.

I guess Masukuma you also think that Kenya should give up in fifteens rugby since they have never qualified for any global event?
Alba
#183 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 4:45:59 AM

masukuma wrote:

what trophies? the mark of a good side is making a show at the worldcup (regardless of what Alba thinks about Malkia being chapwad at the worldcup). These tu regional cups are pointless - have you noticed that this region does not produce good soccer/football players? even baba yenu (UG/TZ) go no where! my point is "focus on strengths instead of weaknesses"... be good at one thing! be known for 1 thing! Do you know how many gold medals Portugal has won since it started participating in the Olympics in 1912? ...4!! ONLY 4!! we have a bad showing if we come back with 4 from one Olympic! Let's stop beating around the bush and accept that we stink at football and move on! But I suspect bwana maarifa will continue lecturing us on how good we are if we just... just...just... remove some people. Heck there is a time we were beaten by Somalia... SOMALIA!!! We are useless - let's focus on other things.

I guess based on maskuma's logic , if Kenya has never reached the world cup in any sport, we should abandon it.

This means Kenya should give up on football, fifteens rugby, mens volleyball, basketball heck even boxing, tennis, etc. Is it just me or is this
plain ridiculous.

When you read such posts you realize why Kenya appears hopeless at sports. It is because there are too many masukuma type thinkers in charge of sports. Maybe even the sports minister.

If masukuma was in charge of sports 5 years ago, Kenya would have abandoned field events and sprints, because " we are supposedly hopeless".

This means Yego and Bett who recently won gold medals would have been told by masukuma to give up 5 years ago.

masukuma
#184 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 9:59:18 AM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:

what trophies? the mark of a good side is making a show at the worldcup (regardless of what Alba thinks about Malkia being chapwad at the worldcup). These tu regional cups are pointless - have you noticed that this region does not produce good soccer/football players? even baba yenu (UG/TZ) go no where! my point is "focus on strengths instead of weaknesses"... be good at one thing! be known for 1 thing! Do you know how many gold medals Portugal has won since it started participating in the Olympics in 1912? ...4!! ONLY 4!! we have a bad showing if we come back with 4 from one Olympic! Let's stop beating around the bush and accept that we stink at football and move on! But I suspect bwana maarifa will continue lecturing us on how good we are if we just... just...just... remove some people. Heck there is a time we were beaten by Somalia... SOMALIA!!! We are useless - let's focus on other things.

I guess based on maskuma's logic , if Kenya has never reached the world cup in any sport, we should abandon it.

This means Kenya should give up on football, fifteens rugby, mens volleyball, basketball heck even boxing, tennis, etc. Is it just me or is this
plain ridiculous.

When you read such posts you realize why Kenya appears hopeless at sports. It is because there are too many masukuma type thinkers in charge of sports. Maybe even the sports minister.

If masukuma was in charge of sports 5 years ago, Kenya would have abandoned field events and sprints, because " we are supposedly hopeless".

This means Yego and Bett who recently won gold medals would have been told by masukuma to give up 5 years ago.

Mark you... when I say "give up on"... I mean "government and media and national emotions" should "give up on"... the players can continue doing their thing! 15s... this is the reality - we have a limited number of resources to spend on these sports... all the examples you have given are from developed nations. Sports never developed a nation! all the countries where sports does [INSERT SOME BENEFIT OF SPORT HERE] have accrued these benefits after development/industrialisation - heck even most sports were invented in britain after industrialisation....poor people should have different goals from rich ones! So my take - let them do the best with what they have, only support them when they show that they can cut it! 7s was like that! Only support sports that seem to be serious! if football organizes itself better and proves that it deserves tax payer financing... yes... give it until then let it survive with peanuts or look for sponsorship. We don't have all the resources in the world (mark you ... just because we won a medal in sprinting does not mean we are a country of sprinters - the sprinting culture is not here... the interested individuals should ensure we have a culture there).

Alba
#185 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 4:17:01 PM

masukuma wrote:

Mark you... when I say "give up on"... I mean "government and media and national emotions" should "give up on"... the players can continue doing their thing! 15s... this is the reality - we have a limited number of resources to spend on these sports... all the examples you have given are from developed nations. Sports never developed a nation! all the countries where sports does [INSERT SOME BENEFIT OF SPORT HERE] have accrued these benefits after development/industrialisation - heck even most sports were invented in britain after industrialisation....poor people should have different goals from rich ones! So my take - let them do the best with what they have, only support them when they show that they can cut it! 7s was like that! Only support sports that seem to be serious! if football organizes itself better and proves that it deserves tax payer financing... yes... give it until then let it survive with peanuts or look for sponsorship. We don't have all the resources in the world (mark you ... just because we won a medal in sprinting does not mean we are a country of sprinters - the sprinting culture is not here... the interested individuals should ensure we have a culture there).

I am just glad you are not involved in running sports. This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on wazua.

It is ridiculous because it has no chance in hell of happening. We do have some incompetent people running sports but none of them are crazy enough to stop funding any sport where Kenya has never reached the world cup.

Masukuma also suggests that media should stop covering football which is even more ridiculous. I am glad none of his suggestions have a snowball's chance in hell.

By the way if you want to give up on sports then please go ahead and give up. Leave this thread and spare us the misguided notions. Everyone else who is posting is still interested in local football. Stop trying to poison the well on your way out.

Sports does not develop a nation but it does provide employment opportunities and various intangible benefits. Sports are already providing employment and other benefits in Kenya so the notion that this can only happen in a developed country is bogus. Some players in Kenya are already making around Ksh 200,000 per month. Some coaches are making Ksh 600,000 per month, not to mention assistant coaches, physios, managers and so forth. In the next 5 years, these salaries could double. It was only as recently as 2008 when the top Kenya player was making around Ksh 20,000 per month.

And finally when you complain about resources being used on football, you are clueless. The government does not spend much on football nowadays. Harambee stars is typically sponsored by EABL which caters to hosting and travel expenses. FIFA also provides funding, some of which is used to fund the national team expenses. Clubs like Gor Mahia and AFC are basically on their own when they travel abroad. They often have to fund their trips by Harambees. There is little or no government help.

In fact I would venture to say football puts money in the governments hands. Remember the government taxes footballers. Government also takes a hefty cut of gate collections. And whenever a team rents a stadium for training, they pay around ksh 10,000 per day. And when a player is sold, government also takes a cut. Based on this fact alone, it would be myopic of the government to stop funding football.

Kratos
#186 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:12:04 PM

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Hapa kuna watu wanapenda kujaza foolscap bure!

“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
masukuma
#187 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 5:53:04 PM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:

I am just glad you are not involved in running sports. This has to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have seen on wazua.

It is ridiculous because it has no chance in hell of happening. We do have some incompetent people running sports but none of them are crazy enough to stop funding any sport where Kenya has never reached the world cup.

Masukuma also suggests that media should stop covering football which is even more ridiculous. I am glad none of his suggestions have a snowball's chance in hell.

By the way if you want to give up on sports then please go ahead and give up. Leave this thread and spare us the misguided notions. Everyone else who is posting is still interested in local football. Stop trying to poison the well on your way out.

Sports does not develop a nation but it does provide employment opportunities and various intangible benefits. Sports are already providing employment and other benefits in Kenya so the notion that this can only happen in a developed country is bogus. Some players in Kenya are already making around Ksh 200,000 per month. Some coaches are making Ksh 600,000 per month, not to mention assistant coaches, physios, managers and so forth. In the next 5 years, these salaries could double. It was only as recently as 2008 when the top Kenya player was making around Ksh 20,000 per month.

And finally when you complain about resources being used on football, you are clueless. The government does not spend much on football nowadays. Harambee stars is typically sponsored by EABL which caters to hosting and travel expenses. FIFA also provides funding, some of which is used to fund the national team expenses. Clubs like Gor Mahia and AFC are basically on their own when they travel abroad. They often have to fund their trips by Harambees. There is little or no government help.

In fact I would venture to say football puts money in the governments hands. Remember the government taxes footballers. Government also takes a hefty cut of gate collections. And whenever a team rents a stadium for training, they pay around ksh 10,000 per day. And when a player is sold, government also takes a cut. Based on this fact alone, it would be myopic of the government to stop funding football.

perhaps if they raised their own money they would be more prudent to make it work.... just because government taxes footballers does not mean we should waste much more money! I know some fundi's wa roof who charge 200k for a 2 weeks job... should they hold us hostage? pliz!!
But anyway... this whole thread is pointless Of course it will not fly.... kinda like yours - both of us are idealists on extreme sides.... and they won't fly... it's pointless!
Alba
#188 Posted : Wednesday, September 09, 2015 9:24:54 PM

Masukuma

I do not have any ideas that will not fly. It is you whose ideas are bogus. None of your ideas have ever been implemented by any government. This is why your ideas are ridiculous. You are basically suggesting that government should punish footballers and football fans for something that is not their fault. In fact the government is largely to blame for the mess in football.

My ideas are very basic and are already being implemented by all governments out there. Even low ranked countries like Lesotho and Comoros, Haiti and Dominica which will never reach the world cup, are providing funding for football.

All my ideas are practical and basic and are already in implementation in several countries out there. You on the other hand have no practical ideas. Please do not try to equate us
nakujua
#189 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 1:45:55 PM

Kratos wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Hapa kuna watu wanapenda kujaza foolscap bure!

some interesting points if at all you care to read
Obi 1 Kanobi
#190 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:27:39 PM

Does the govt fund any sport in Kenya.

(Buying tickets and accommodation to attend a global event is not funding so please don't mention that)
"The purpose of bureaucracy is to compensate for incompetence and lack of discipline." James Collins
kaka2za
#191 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 2:30:40 PM

Ati michezo ilianza na industrial revolution? The ancient west African kingdoms of Ghana and Songhai used to hold wrestling festivals in 1650s!
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
masukuma
#192 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:21:17 PM

kaka2za wrote:
Ati michezo ilianza na industrial revolution? The ancient west African kingdoms of Ghana and Songhai used to hold wrestling festivals in 1650s!

Amini usiamini... utaAmini... modern sport has a nexus with industrialisation! While Ancient societies developed sport for practical tasks linked to survival, such as military training. Industrial workers engaged in sport to cope with the pains of urbanization and harsh working conditions, while their employers and rulers encouraged sports as a means of social control.

There are other references here. Remember the term is "modern sports" akina football, rugby, cricket, darts, basketball e.t.c. Their spread is also a result of industrialization... The resurgence of the Olympics e.t.c have everything to do with industrialization (can be considered a fruit of industrialization) .... wrestling and ajua are primitive sports. My opinion... Trying to capitalize on sports for a developing nation is trying to do KCSE while in Std 4! I would suggest you copy paste models and processes of development and not try and recreate fruits of development. Of course you have a finite amount of resources to do all that you want to do - be smart prioritize! Sio... oh... Cricket... Oh... cycling...Oh... Rugby... Oh... Volleyball... Oh Football ... Oh... Chess...Oh Athletics... Oh... Boxing.... Oh ...some random sport that we can engage in! I remember we had some participants in the winter games sometime back! Should we compete in winter games? Should we compete in all sports available? Should we win all medals? I am sure there is a guy passionate about Sumo wrestling... should we spend tax payers money in ensuring that he is the best that he can be? I dare say... lipeni waalimu kwanza!
TAZ
#193 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 3:21:37 PM

Obi 1 Kanobi wrote:
Does the govt fund any sport in Kenya.

(Buying tickets and accommodation to attend a global event is not funding so please don't mention that)

This was in one of the dailies in Feb this year

Quote:
In a move aimed at improving the management of sports in the country, Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Culture and the Arts Hassan Wario has also stopped funding to organisations and teams affiliated to the said federations.

“All affected Sports Organisations should therefore not participate in any national, regional and international competitions. They are also not eligible for funding and financial support, especially from the Exchequer through the Ministry of Sports, Culture and the Arts,”

Btw a National Sports Fund board with members drawn from various sports entities was unveiled last year but i'm not sure if they've managed to raise any funds.
Kratos
#194 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 5:54:40 PM

nakujua wrote:
Kratos wrote:

some interesting points if at all you care to read

Cool your nyees munene, that was meant on a light note.

“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
Alba
#195 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 9:33:38 PM

Reaching the world cup should never be the criteria for whether a government provides funding.

Sometimes a government simply provides facilities as a way to provide social services. This is what the colonial government did when they built football grounds like Woodley and Jericho grounds.

Reaching the world cup should never be the criteria that determines whether a government should provide social services. You can prioritze based on other more useful criteria.

Any government that chooses to punish footballers and football fans for something that is not their fault is asking for trouble. Folks football is popular. There is a reason why politicians as far back as Jomo Kenyatta made it a point to attend football matches.
masukuma
#196 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:10:29 PM

Alba wrote:
Reaching the world cup should never be the criteria for whether a government provides funding.

Sometimes a government simply provides facilities as a way to provide social services. This is what the colonial government did when they built football grounds like Woodley and Jericho grounds.

Reaching the world cup should never be the criteria that determines whether a government should provide social services. You can prioritze based on other more useful criteria.

Any government that chooses to punish footballers and football fans for something that is not their fault is asking for trouble. Folks football is popular. There is a reason why politicians as far back as Jomo Kenyatta made it a point to attend football matches.

Haya tuendelee na excuses.
Alba
#197 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 12:23:28 AM

masukuma wrote:

What excuses are you talking about?
I see you have a habit of just posting one liners or sarcasm that do not in any way address the issues raised.
masukuma
#198 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 8:44:58 AM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:

What excuses are you talking about?
I see you have a habit of just posting one liners or sarcasm that do not in any way address the issues raised.

Refer to the 1st set of posts I made on this Matter.
Museveni
#199 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 12:18:11 PM

Harambee Stars players to be axed in wake of ‘sex orgy’ reports

NN wrote:
“The time has come for us to make big decisions. Some so called big name players are not only contributing very little to the team’s cause, but are consistently destabilizing the team from within with serious discipline cases,”
No points for correct guess.
NN wrote:

“The security guards at the hotel will tell you that this team should not have played Zambia. We should have awarded the visitors a walkover. Our players went on partying and drinking and normally returned back to the hotel late in the company of visitors,”

NN wrote:
“We can learn from Zambia, who gave debuts to upto four players when we played them, including one player from the country’s second division,”
Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
TAZ
#200 Posted : Friday, September 11, 2015 11:39:27 PM

Museveni wrote:
Harambee Stars players to be axed in wake of ‘sex orgy’ reports

NN wrote:
“The time has come for us to make big decisions. Some so called big name players are not only contributing very little to the team’s cause, but are consistently destabilizing the team from within with serious discipline cases,”
No points for correct guess.
NN wrote:

“The security guards at the hotel will tell you that this team should not have played Zambia. We should have awarded the visitors a walkover. Our players went on partying and drinking and normally returned back to the hotel late in the company of visitors,”

NN wrote:
“We can learn from Zambia, who gave debuts to upto four players when we played them, including one player from the country’s second division,”

Halafu we are here blaming management sijui funding!