Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

19 Pages«<7891011>»
Harambee Stars
kaka2za
#161 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 10:56:04 AM

urstill1 wrote:
D32 wrote:
ZZE123 wrote:
We should have let Gor paly instead of hara-mbee Stars!!!!

I also think the leading local club is stronger than Harambee, as the local club has that long developed synergy. I once asked this q, but was told that it is not allowed. How about change a player or two, like the goalkeeper?

Quite a good number of Gor players are foreign nationals. The likes of Sibomana, Kagere...

Influx of foreign players arguably weaken the national sides. For example most EPL teams are better than England.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Much Know
#162 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 11:11:23 AM

ZZE123 wrote:
We should have let Gor paly instead of hara-mbee Stars!!!!

Unless you are being sarcastic, until there is more "tribal balancing" in football in Kenya, don't waste time "analyzing" Harambee Stars performance (kupigia mbuzi guitar), there is nothing like "better tribes in football" just hooligans, other better teams worldwide and in Africa are not dominated by the "special Kenyan football tribe/s" and they get very far. A Kenyan referee should also be able to live a decent, respectable life driving at least a mutumba Porsche, if VIOLENCE and intimidation rules, kwisha mpira, the ref is the "center of power" in a football game not a tribe or teams, or people too childish to let a game end peacefully, you introduce tribalism in football, then players will remain like sugar belt companies, living of the goodwill of "Other Kenyans Contributions" gaarment subsidies, if you remove tribalism and violence, we are in next world cup automatically. In the line-up, , no maasai, no mkamba, no rendille, there was only ONE player from "these people" when they should be about a quarter of the players in team e.t.c ( i won't tell you how a friend broke his leg in Kenyan football) what is happening? do you expect to go anywhere?, i never bother!

Harambee Stars Stars starting 11: Boniface Oluoch (Tusker), James Situma (Sofapaka), Clifford Miheso (Thika United), Brian Mandela, Joakins Atudo (both Tusker), Victor Mugabe (Celtic, Scotland), Kevin Kimani (JMJ Academy), Jamal Mohammed (Mathare United) ,Humphrey Mieno (Sofapaka), Dennis Oliech (Auxerre, France) ,Patrick Oboya (MFK Ruzomberok, Slovakia)

Substitutes: Duncan Ochieng, Kepha Aswani, Joseph Shikokoti, Dennis Nzomo, Titus Mulama, Kevin Ochieng, Collins Okoth
A New Kenya
masukuma
#163 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:10:43 PM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
mimi nangoja siku ile excuses zitatoka kwa meza! so for now lets go with 'Nyamwea and co. are the problem'

@Masukuma
You mentioned that you played in Kenya cup rugby at some point. But given your ignorance about what it takes to create a succesful sports team , I am beginning to doubt whether you played anything at all. Unless you were one of those who hanged around the rugby guys at UoN pretending to be one of them.

Seriously it ought to be obvious to anyone who has played sports at any level that a team that has trained together for a month is bound to play better than one that assembled only a few days prior and did not even play friendlies. I am amazed that this has to be explained to someone who claims to have played in Kenya cup for sijui 5 years.

Wow... you really have outed me! I never really played Kenya Cup! I was never one of the top try scores in the 7s circuit before it got sexy. I was never was never substituted for non injury reasons when I played top flight rugby both for the university I played for (which won the East African University Championship in 99) and the current 7s champions. I never really played for those teams... It's either I am lying or may have hallucinated the whole experience! Sijui nitajificha wapi!! I have been outed and Kenya ni wanoma Football!
All Mushrooms are edible! Some Mushroom are only edible ONCE!
maka
#164 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:17:34 PM

Lets face it we are useless...
possunt quia posse videntur
masukuma
#165 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 3:39:11 PM

maka wrote:
Lets face it we are useless...

Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you Shame on you wewe wacha!! sisi ni wa noma! we just need to remove Nyamwea!! Tutaenda world cup and win it... why? SISI NI WANOMA!! it's within us... Nyamwea is to blame for school football as well... we are always beaten by neighbouring countries and even at club level.... we have one problem!! and it's Nyamwea!!
Alba
#166 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 4:27:11 PM

TAZ wrote:
I totally agree with @Masukuma, at the moment we are simply not good enough. I watched the Tanzania Vs Nigeria match and i was really impressed by the Taifa stars, they passed the ball very well and had some really nice dribblers in the team.

Btw @Alba....Williamson's record for the Uganda Cranes was quite impressive, he was only sacked after he failed to qualify for AFCON 2013

Taz
The Ugandan federation is not as useless as the Kenyan one. They do not hurriedly assemble teams 3 days before matches. They set up camp weeks in advance and play friendlies. Kenya does no such thing.

A few months back, Kenya played Botswana and flew in only a few hours before the match. The players who were jet lagged and tired ended up losing 3-0. With this level or poor organization, you cannot expect wins.

Back in 2010, Kenya had numerous players playing in European leagues, Mariga at Inter, Wanyama at Celtic, Oliech at Auxerre, all playing in the champions league and they still could not beat Uganda because the preparations were pathetic. Kenya clearly had better players than Uganda and still could not beat them
Alba
#167 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 4:29:12 PM

masukuma wrote:
Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
mimi nangoja siku ile excuses zitatoka kwa meza! so for now lets go with 'Nyamwea and co. are the problem'

@Masukuma
You mentioned that you played in Kenya cup rugby at some point. But given your ignorance about what it takes to create a succesful sports team , I am beginning to doubt whether you played anything at all. Unless you were one of those who hanged around the rugby guys at UoN pretending to be one of them.

Seriously it ought to be obvious to anyone who has played sports at any level that a team that has trained together for a month is bound to play better than one that assembled only a few days prior and did not even play friendlies. I am amazed that this has to be explained to someone who claims to have played in Kenya cup for sijui 5 years.

Wow... you really have outed me! I never really played Kenya Cup! I was never one of the top try scores in the 7s circuit before it got sexy. I was never was never substituted for non injury reasons when I played top flight rugby both for the university I played for (which won the East African University Championship in 99) and the current 7s champions. I never really played for those teams... It's either I am lying or may have hallucinated the whole experience! Sijui nitajificha wapi!! I have been outed and Kenya ni wanoma Football!

Oh its good of you for admitting to being a fraud. It is painful to imagine that someone who played in Kenya cup is this ignorant about what it takes for a sports team to succeed.
Alba
#168 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 4:35:05 PM

I hope Kenyan players are not reading the ignorant posts about Kenya being hapless at football.

Years ago I was on a different Kenyan forum arguing that Kenyans were capable of winning medals in sprints and field events. Many know-nothings said we are not genetically predisposed to sprints and incapable of field events.

Kenya now has Yego winning the javelin and Bett winning the hurdles. They were finally able to get the appropriate technical training. Yego for example was invited to go and learn in Finland under qualified coaches.

I am not saying Kenya can compete with Jamaica. But surely if Chinese and Japanese can run sub 10.00 than why can't Kenya ?

I am saying the same thing about football. If Kenya gets the same level of organization as Zambia or Uganda, then Kenya will stop being perennial losers.

One difference between Kenya and Zambia for example is that FAZ is run by a former footballer, Kalusha Bwalya while FKF is run by a know-nothing Sam Nyamweya.

And this is the problem with Kenya sports. Too many people fancy themselves as sports experts when they literally know nothing. You can see that on this forum. Unfortunately for Kenya, such people are finding themselves in leadership positions much to the detriment of the sport.

During the brief periods when Kenya had a modicum of decent organization, Harambee stars did well. Do people realize that when Joab Omino was KFF chairman, Kenya qualified for AFCON 3 times in a row. And this was during an era when only 8 teams qualified. Note that Omino was a former player.
Museveni
#169 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 4:57:35 PM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Museveni wrote:
masukuma wrote:
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Kenyans are usually very optimistic people! Mulikuwa munaona mtashinda Zambia based on what facts?
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Si we just agree we are fanatical football players but cannot do anything when given that ball!
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
For me I don't bother! Coz there is no point!

You do not assemble a team for three days and hope to win a competitive match. Welcoming out-of-shape foreign based players without testing their preparedness to the expense of available raring youngsters cost us the match.

maybe... I am no expert on this however... could "WE SUCK AT SOCCER" be the real reason?

NO
You are completely wrong
@Museveni has spoken the truth. But that is only a small part of the problem

And thanks for admitting U R no expert unlike some like @Murchr who know nothing about sports but have strong opinions.

Some of the problems alluded to by other forummers can be solved if by some miracle Nyamweya is defeated at the next FKF election. If Nyamweya remains in charge, Kenya is doomed

We actually have better at football probably than athletics.

In 2012, we did qualify distinctively for the AFCON, under a local coach. After 10 yrs not making it to the tournament. Previously we had dropped out of the group stage with 0 points. In 2012 3 points but crashed out of the tournament.
Coach fired. Reasons:
BBC wrote:
Kenya's national coach has been sacked, only days after taking the team to the final of the Cecafa Cup.

Quote:
He was sacked from the post of national team coach after the 2008 CECAFA Cup in January 2009 due to disputes between him and Kenyan football administrators

The dismissal of the coach comes after he refused to lead Kenya in a friendly against Egypt in Cairo next week.
Quote:
"Kimanzi doesn't want to honour international matches," FKL's secretary-general Sammy Obingo told the BBC.

Quote:
Obingo also said that Kimanzi's behaviour during the Cecafa Cup was disappointing, notably in failing to talk to the media after some games.

Quote:
In response, Francis Kimanzi told the BBC's Swahili Service that his players were tired after the completion of the Cecafa Cup.

Quote:

Kimanzi's case is that he talked in all press conferences except one and that he did not try and avoid being questioned.

BTW we were No 2 in the said CECAFA championship.

With this kind of leadership entrenched in football we ain't going anywhere.

Frustrating not only players but the technical bench of the team!

And the obsession with foreign coaches with no real positive impact. Some of the best coaches and managers have been players. They know the local scene better some of the overated coaches and know players history much better.

Mchezaji akisema ako karibu fungiwa nyumba see also will they ever understand ? Never. Ever. Only care about their inflated pay.

Live and learn; and don’t forget, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
masukuma
#170 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 5:20:15 PM

Alba wrote:
I hope Kenyan players are not reading the ignorant posts about Kenya being hapless at football.

Years ago I was on a different Kenyan forum arguing that Kenyans were capable of winning medals in sprints and field events. Many know-nothings said we are not genetically predisposed to sprints and incapable of field events.

Kenya now has Yego winning the javelin and Bett winning the hurdles. They were finally able to get the appropriate technical training. Yego for example was invited to go and learn in Finland under qualified coaches.

I am not saying Kenya can compete with Jamaica. But surely if Chinese and Japanese can run sub 10.00 than why can't Kenya ?

I am saying the same thing about football. If Kenya gets the same level of organization as Zambia or Uganda, then Kenya will stop being perennial losers.

One difference between Kenya and Zambia for example is that FAZ is run by a former footballer, Kalusha Bwalya while FKF is run by a know-nothing Sam Nyamweya.

And this is the problem with Kenya sports. Too many people fancy themselves as sports experts when they literally know nothing. You can see that on this forum. Unfortunately for Kenya, such people are finding themselves in leadership positions much to the detriment of the sport.

During the brief periods when Kenya had a modicum of decent organization, Harambee stars did well. Do people realize that when Joab Omino was KFF chairman, Kenya qualified for AFCON 3 times in a row. And this was during an era when only 8 teams qualified. Note that Omino was a former player.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause you are right on all counts.... perhaps you could assist these armchair experts! There is one who literally knows everything! he (I am assuming he is a he) knows about volleyball - Sijui why we bother with Lung'aho. Women Volleyball... blah blah blah! F1.... ni mnoma! He also is a great rugby expert and now he is weighing in on football! If he could tone down and go and do something in the field - it will do us some benefit (both the silence and him really going to meet the experts). Until then he will next assure us how Ajua deserves to be in the worldcup!

Post zote za huyu msee "mnoma" are always about how much he knows and the people doing those things know nothing!
tycho
#171 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 6:07:15 PM

Football is just a game, it doesn't need extraordinary people to play it. You develop your skill, you join a team, the team develops and uses strategies for winning, simulates games (friendlies) and plays with an intelligent control mechanism.

All kinds of professionals are called in to support the team. The team is now a machine working in the whole system's political machine. So much is at stake. Who's getting what? When?

It becomes a question of power. Getting power and clinging to it. Deals. FIFA without corrruption is impossible.

Kenyan flourish in soccer is a question of radical political change. The man on the street is made to believe government doesn't interfere in soccer but governments are heavily involved and the whole thing is messy.

If Kenya's political outlook can turn to be a stronger exporter of products and culture, and have greater moral power in terms of political ideology then we can see our teams shining.
kaka2za
#172 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 6:41:37 PM

Kenya most successful coaches :Marshall Mulwa and Ghost Mulei

Ministers when stars did well: Paul Ngei,Francis Nyenze and Nyiva Mwendwa

Common denominator?
(James Russell Rowell)
masukuma
#173 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 6:51:11 PM

kaka2za wrote:

Common denominator?

define "did well"? secondly correlation or causality?
kaka2za
#174 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:02:41 PM

masukuma wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

Common denominator?

They won trophies.
(James Russell Rowell)
Alba
#175 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:36:40 PM

@masukuma has not said anything remotely intelligent nor sensible on this thread. He has taken refuge by attempting sarcasm. So I will leave him alone.

Folks this is not rocket science. I am about to state the obvious.

A person mentioned above that a team needs to play together for a long time in order to gain cohesion. A team that has trained together for only 3 days has no chance at being cohesive. How can Olunga and Oliech form a good attacking pair when they have never played together even in a friendly?

How can Mandela and Olum coordinate central defence if they have never played together even in a friendly? They cant. Thats why Kenya's defence looked porous.

No wonder Kenya never does well. We never prepare. Last year, senior players like Wanyama begged for friendlies and instead they were sent to Brazil on holiday. Meanwhile Lesotho was busy training. It came as no surprise when Lesotho eliminated Kenya.

Its as if we never learn.

But Kenya's problems go deeper. Kenya is one of the few countries where youth development does not exist. How often does Kenya even have a U20 team? Almost Never.

How many Kenyan clubs have youth development structures? As far as I can tell, only Gor Mahia has a U19 team. But even that is poorly funded. This is not a recipe for success.

With no youth development structures, Kenya are doomed.

Kenya has good individual players. The fact that a Kenyan like Oliech, Mariga and Wanyama and Mike Okoth can excel in Europe without ever having gone through formal youth development shows that Kenya has potential.

If Kenya can just get a measure of organization, the game can go places.

No Kenya is not hapless at football. Kenya has good players who are being let down by poor organization.

masukuma
#176 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 7:50:09 PM

kaka2za wrote:
masukuma wrote:
kaka2za wrote:

Common denominator?

They won trophies.

what trophies? the mark of a good side is making a show at the worldcup (regardless of what Alba thinks about Malkia being chapwad at the worldcup). These tu regional cups are pointless - have you noticed that this region does not produce good soccer/football players? even baba yenu (UG/TZ) go no where! my point is "focus on strengths instead of weaknesses"... be good at one thing! be known for 1 thing! Do you know how many gold medals Portugal has won since it started participating in the Olympics in 1912? ...4!! ONLY 4!! we have a bad showing if we come back with 4 from one Olympic! Let's stop beating around the bush and accept that we stink at football and move on! But I suspect bwana maarifa will continue lecturing us on how good we are if we just... just...just... remove some people. Heck there is a time we were beaten by Somalia... SOMALIA!!! We are useless - let's focus on other things.
Alba
#177 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:05:43 PM

masukuma wrote:

what trophies? the mark of a good side is making a show at the worldcup (regardless of what Alba thinks about Malkia being chapwad at the worldcup). These tu regional cups are pointless - have you noticed that this region does not produce good soccer/football players? even baba yenu (UG/TZ) go no where! my point is "focus on strengths instead of weaknesses"... be good at one thing! be known for 1 thing! Do you know how many gold medals Portugal has won since it started participating in the Olympics in 1912? ...4!! ONLY 4!! we have a bad showing if we come back with 4 from one Olympic! Let's stop beating around the bush and accept that we stink at football and move on! But I suspect bwana maarifa will continue lecturing us on how good we are if we just... just...just... remove some people. Heck there is a time we were beaten by Somalia... SOMALIA!!! We are useless - let's focus on other things.

This entire post is bogus
The idea that a country should only focus on what they are good at is silly.
What should Kenyans who like football do? Should they just give up.

I have said this many times and will say it again. Kenyans are not better at volleyball than Ugandans nor are we naturally better at rugby than Nigerians or Ghanaians.

How well a country does in a sport depends on how seriously they take it. Rugby is not taken seriously in Nigeria. If they start taking it seriously, they will give Kenya serious competition or even beat Kenya.

I believe it was our fellow forummer kaka2za who made the observation that when rugby was mostly played around Nairobi, then Nairobi based schools like Lenana, Saints and Patch dominated. And at one point, almost all national team players were from Lenana, Patch and Saints.

Now that upcountry schools like Katch and Yala are taking the sport seriously, they are beating Nairobi based schools.

Using masukuma's logic, one would have assumed that upcountry people are incapable of rugby.

The same applies to volleyball. Kenya wins at volleyball because other African countries do not take it seriously especially at grassroots level. Its not because Kenyans are naturally better.

This is a very basic concept and I can't help but wonder why people do not understand it.

Back in the 1970s, Zaire was the best African nation in football by far because President Mobutu took the sport very seriously. He funded the teams, sent them to Europe for training and so forth.

Just look at Japan for example. Football league was non-existent in Japan until the late 1980s. They had never even qualified for a world cup. Now they are among the worlds best. Same with the USA. They only started to take football seriously in the early 1990s.

If East Africans want to excel at football, they need a similar revolution. They need better organization. They need youth structures. Back in 1978, Uganda almost won Africa nations cup and their striker Philip Omondi was the top scorer at AFCON and was the most feared striker in Africa. Thats shows Uganda has potential and so does Kenya.

Now lets see if masukuma can refute my points intelligently without cowardly resorting to sarcasm and name calling.
masukuma
#178 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:18:30 PM

Alba wrote:
masukuma wrote:

This entire post is bogus
The idea that a country should only focus on what they are good at is silly.
What should Kenyans who like football do? Should they just give up.

I have said this many times and will say it again. Kenyans are not better at volleyball than Ugandans nor are we naturally better at rugby than Nigerians or Ghanaians.

How well a country does in a sport depends on how seriously they take it. Rugby is not taken seriously in Nigeria. If they start taking it seriously, they will give Kenya serious competition or even beat Kenya.

I believe it was our fellow forummer kaka2za who made the observation that when rugby was mostly played around Nairobi, then Nairobi based schools like Lenana, Saints and Patch dominated. And at one point, almost all national team players were from Lenana, Patch and Saints.

Now that upcountry schools like Katch and Yala are taking the sport seriously, they are beating Nairobi based schools.

Using masukuma's logic, one would have assumed that upcountry people are incapable of rugby.

The same applies to volleyball. Kenya wins at volleyball because other African countries do not take it seriously especially at grassroots level. Its not because Kenyans are naturally better.

This is a very basic concept and I can't help but wonder why people do not understand it.

Back in the 1970s, Zaire was the best African nation in football by far because President Mobutu took the sport very seriously. He funded the teams, sent them to Europe for training and so forth.

Just look at Japan for example. Football league was non-existent in Japan until the late 1980s. They had never even qualified for a world cup. Now they are among the worlds best. Same with the USA. They only started to take football seriously in the early 1990s.

If East Africans want to excel at football, they need a similar revolution. They need better organization. They need youth structures. Back in 1978, Uganda almost won Africa nations cup and their striker Philip Omondi was the top scorer at AFCON and was the most feared striker in Africa. Thats shows Uganda has potential and so does Kenya.

Now lets see if masukuma can refute my points intelligently without cowardly resorting to sarcasm and name calling.

this is my point! we cannot do everything - let's pick our battles.. I am sure there are some great footballers or sprinters in India! I told you this before and I am telling you again - You tend to forget we are in a
1) poor
2) corrupt
3) 3rd world country
in a continent that has less GDP than India... pick your battles.... we don't exist to play sports. Ama Mtu aongee na Presi we give @Alba reins on all sports and we shall surely be great in all of them coz he knows something about all sports that the people involved in don't!
kaka2za
#179 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:34:13 PM

@ Masukuma Sports are not just about winning. Only about ten nations have won the world cup but the game would surely die if other nations gave up.

Kenya is good at athletics but it's hard to get a crowd of 5,000 even during the national trials. On Sunday,I and over 20,000 Kenyans flocked the Nyayo stadium though we knew the odds were against us. We love the game,win or lose ,it remains the most popular sport.
(James Russell Rowell)
Alba
#180 Posted : Tuesday, September 08, 2015 8:38:43 PM

@masukuma

Sports is not a battle. This is not about picking battles.

Sports is a way to provide employment. A well organized sport can provide employement to hundreds of unemployed youth as footballers, referees, physios, journalists, coaches, managers etc.

1. If Kenya can organize its sports better then maybe some of those obsessed with the English premier league will switch allegiance to the Kenya premier league and provide employment opportunities to Kenyan youth.

A country with such a high youth unemployment, should use all opportunities to keep youth gainfully employed.

2. Secondly, sports can keep the youth busy and away from negative issues like drugs, crime and idleness and even terrorism.

If you can build football fields, maybe some of those Mombasa youth will be busy playing in local leagues and not be idle. Remember terrorists like makaburi capitalized on idle youth.

Sports can also ehance national unity and in Kenya we need this since we are tribally divided.

3. Sports can provide youth with educational opportunities. Numerous Kenyan basketball players have gone overseas on basketball scholarships. if that sport was well organized, dozens more would be going. This can help reduce youth unemployment.

4. Sports that are well organized can provide investment opportunities. Even today, some football agents are making money in Kenya. Club owners like Elly Kalekwa make money when they sell players. In fact recently when Sofapaka sold Razak Fiston to mamelodi sundowns, Kalekwa pocketed ksh 24 million !!!!!!!

Again this is not a battle. Sports when well organized is good for the country. Unfortunately the bureacrats in charge think that sports is just fan and games.