wazua Fri, Mar 29, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
#GES2015KENYA
washiku
#21 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 1:35:24 PM

GES in Kenya...The Wins

1. Renewed energy and vigor around Entrepreneurship especially for young people. The rallying call "You can succeed right here in Kenya" ought to get be taken seriously by young people.

2.-----
maka
#22 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 2:08:49 PM

washiku wrote:
1. Renewed energy and vigor around Entrepreneurship especially for young people. The rallying call "You can succeed right here in Kenya" ought to get be taken seriously by young people.

2.-----

@washiku do you know Jesse Colombo?
possunt quia posse videntur
juan
#23 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 2:26:49 PM

murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
I had the pleasure to exhibit at the pre-GES at KICC.and it hit me just how may ICT startups have benefited from the likes of iHub and Nailab.However these hubs are located in one area and it got me thinking what if we could set up similar spaces in areas like the republic of Ongata Rongai

Why Rongai?? Did you ask yourself why they are located in one area?

Because I feel there is a need for one in this areas. Looking at the history of iHub it is in the location olit is because it is a place where the founders understood and could access easily. The other facilities were build around it because they relied heavily on the iHub.
My experience is that as much as these hubs offer a great service there is need to decentralize them so that you can reach other people who may not be in a position to access the facilities at their current location
murchr
#24 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 2:41:31 PM

juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
I had the pleasure to exhibit at the pre-GES at KICC.and it hit me just how may ICT startups have benefited from the likes of iHub and Nailab.However these hubs are located in one area and it got me thinking what if we could set up similar spaces in areas like the republic of Ongata Rongai

Because I feel there is a need for one in this areas. Looking at the history of iHub it is in the location olit is because it is a place where the founders understood and could access easily. The other facilities were build around it because they relied heavily on the iHub.
My experience is that as much as these hubs offer a great service there is need to decentralize them so that you can reach other people who may not be in a position to access the facilities at their current location

Kiosk mentality
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
juan
#25 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 2:50:06 PM

murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

You are entitled to your opinion. And and as a reminder the kiosk mentality you are referring to is not necessary a bad thing. Equity was not the 1st bank
Wamunyota
#26 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 3:03:54 PM

juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

You are entitled to your opinion. And and as a reminder the kiosk mentality you are referring to is not necessary a bad thing. Equity was not the 1st bank

We actually need an ICT hub in every county and this would be a game changer.
Hutia Mundu!!
Mike Ock
#27 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 4:06:40 PM

C&P

After GES has ended and Obama has left, we now have to
be real: Kenya is a TERRIBLE place to do business.

From usurious interest rates, to high taxes, bad
infrastructure, poor transport system, dysfunctional
judiciary, low disposable incomes, Kenya lacks all the
basics needed to make a proper business destination.
washiku
#28 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 4:46:56 PM

maka wrote:
washiku wrote:

2.-----

@washiku do you know Jesse Colombo?

Yule wa bubbles ama?
murchr
#29 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 5:25:10 PM

juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

You cleary did not give it a thought. You want to start I/Naihub in Rongai because you have seen others open it up elsewhere...that's the mama mboga mentality. Open a kiosk just because your neighbor is doing good business. Apart from Ihub and NaiLab, universities are opening up innovation centers (Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre)- KU; C4Dlab UON, wewe what are you going to offer techies? Or your marketing strategy is "Right on your door step"?

Every university should have an innovation/incubation hub actually Nai/I-hub have been playing that role for quite a while now.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
juan
#30 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 7:59:27 PM

murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

You cleary did not give it a thought. You want to start I/Naihub in Rongai because you have seen others open it up elsewhere...that's the mama mboga mentality. Open a kiosk just because your neighbor is doing good business. Apart from Ihub and NaiLab, universities are opening up innovation centers (Chandaria Business Innovation and Incubation Centre)- KU; C4Dlab UON, wewe what are you going to offer techies? Or your marketing strategy is "Right on your door step"?

Every university should have an innovation/incubation hub actually Nai/I-hub have been playing that role for quite a while now.

Its seems you are not getting the point. I am not thinking of starting such a hub just because I have seen others elsewhere. I a coming from a point of addressing a need by borrowing on best practices that have been used else where. Further more i understand that neither the iHub model or the Nailab model would work in isolation in locations such as Rongai. Plus I don't have the resources at the moment for such an undertaking.
I had thought wazua would be a good place pick the brains of the best minds in the country but it seems you are not one of those who see the glass a half full
tony stark
#31 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 8:07:49 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
C&P

After GES has ended and Obama has left, we now have to
be real: Kenya is a TERRIBLE place to do business.

From usurious interest rates, to high taxes, bad
infrastructure, poor transport system, dysfunctional
judiciary, low disposable incomes, Kenya lacks all the
basics needed to make a proper business destination.

This are the issues they should be targeting. trying to control the dollar to stop some the dollar from reaching psychological barrier should be stopped.
Useless charges on imports being charged by silly Governmental bodies for example the Kenya medical labs charging 2% on lab equipment over above the usual charges is ridiculous. The construction authority charging a levy on cost on construction WHY?
A lot of this levy are disproportionately unfair to new entrants such as young entrepreneurs.
This are the issues that should be raised and addressed but Obama is gone and we will get back to doing things as we have always been doing.

tony stark
#32 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 8:11:29 PM

juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

Its seems you are not getting the point. I am not thinking of starting such a hub just because I have seen others elsewhere. I a coming from a point of addressing a need by borrowing on best practices that have been used else where. Further more i understand that neither the iHub model or the Nailab model would work in isolation in locations such as Rongai. Plus I don't have the resources at the moment for such an undertaking.
I had thought wazua would be a good place pick the brains of the best minds in the country but it seems you are not one of those who see the glass a half full

Murch question is very relevant. Why Rongai is valid. Where will your coders and incubees come from Nazarene? Why would your incubees come to Rongai? is the Net in Rongai great? is there an untapped pool of clients that can be served in Rongai?
Without any background to your thought process or lack thereof I would agree with Murch that this is Kiosk mentality.
murchr
#33 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 8:16:41 PM

juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

Its seems you are not getting the point. I am not thinking of starting such a hub just because I have seen others elsewhere. I a coming from a point of addressing a need by borrowing on best practices that have been used else where. Further more i understand that neither the iHub model or the Nailab model would work in isolation in locations such as Rongai. Plus I don't have the resources at the moment for such an undertaking. ??????

You gave a flimsy reason. More innovation hubs are welcome but you have to put more thought into it other than accessibility. These hubs are not unique to Kenya perhaps trying to understand why they succeed would where they are located would be one good way to get you started.

As for Equity, it wasnt the first bank, but they understood their niche and went for it.
juan
#34 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2015 9:01:35 PM

tony stark wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:
murchr wrote:
juan wrote:

Kiosk mentality

Murch question is very relevant. Why Rongai is valid. Where will your coders and incubees come from Nazarene? Why would your incubees come to Rongai? is the Net in Rongai great? is there an untapped pool of clients that can be served in Rongai?
Without any background to your thought process or lack thereof I would agree with Murch that this is Kiosk mentality.

Now we are getting somewhere.

Why Rongai The choice of Rongai is mostly because it would be ideal for me
Where will your coders and incubees come Rongai is has a rich pool which includes, JKUAT Karen,CUEA,MMU and Nazarene. Plus a good number of tech companies in the Rongai Karen area.
is the Net in Rongai great to consumers no but to businesses yes.
an untapped pool of clients yes there are numerous businesses and institutions that can be served from Rongai
Why would your incubees come to Rongai? The cost of living is lower

I was also thinking of a model where we could get government at both levels to by into the idea eg. having a huduma desk on prem. Also get entities like banks to partner and they can have access to facilities such a conference facilities.

The idea is still in its infancy ideas on how to prove feasibility and refinement of the model are welcome
Nabwire
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 05, 2015 12:45:47 PM

Juan, dont be discouraged. The whole point of the GES was to give access to capital for entrepreneurs. Murchr may be right that the innovation hubs are on Ngong road for a reason, but you could pitch your idea to the investors and they may see a need for having an innovation hub in Rongai. Here is a list of the companies from which you can access the GES funds. The only problem is now your idea is public and someone else may run with it, but here goes:
Chase Bank of Kenya
Equity Bank Group
The Case Foundation
Mara Foundation
Kuramo Capital Management
USAID's Deutsche Bank Essential Capital Consortium
GIST
The Coca Cola Africa Foundation (TCCAF)
AWEP
Rockefeller Foundation
Tony Elumelu Foundation
Village Capital
Citi
Ernst & Young
General Electric
Skypower
Rendeavour
Google
IBM
juan
#36 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 10:08:48 PM

Nabwire wrote:
Juan, dont be discouraged. The whole point of the GES was to give access to capital for entrepreneurs. Murchr may be right that the innovation hubs are on Ngong road for a reason, but you could pitch your idea to the investors and they may see a need for having an innovation hub in Rongai. Here is a list of the companies from which you can access the GES funds. The only problem is now your idea is public and someone else may run with it, but here goes:
Chase Bank of Kenya
Equity Bank Group
The Case Foundation
Mara Foundation
Kuramo Capital Management
USAID's Deutsche Bank Essential Capital Consortium
GIST
The Coca Cola Africa Foundation (TCCAF)
AWEP
Rockefeller Foundation
Tony Elumelu Foundation
Village Capital
Citi
Ernst & Young
General Electric
Skypower
Rendeavour
Google
IBM

@Nabwire Thanks for the funding leads. I don't have a problem with someone doing it first, Because competition will benefit the community.