wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Sitting Room paint colour
segemia
#1 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:01:59 AM

Hi guys. I have been tasked (by a client) to come up with a good combination of a sitting room paint colours to an existing house. The client has capped the maximum number of colours to three (3) and that the choosen combination shall give a warm environment.

The floor is already tiled and in brown colour and as such only walls and the ceiling are to be painted.

For a start, I have drawn some several combinations which I will upload in fives for your comments and further suggestions.

If there are any colour scientists in the house, your input will be very highly appreciated.

Here we go...

Comb. 1

Comb. 2

Comb. 3

Comb. 4

Comb. 5
Swenani
#2 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:09:16 AM

segemia wrote:
Hi guys. I have been tasked (by a client) to come up with a good combination of a sitting room paint colours to an existing house. The client has capped the maximum number of colours to three (3) and that the choosen combination shall give a warm environment.

The floor is already tiled and in brown colour and as such only walls and the ceiling are to be painted.

For a start, I have drawn some several combinations which I will upload in fives for your comments and further suggestions.

If there are any colour scientists in the house, your input will be very highly appreciated.

Here we go...

Comb. 1

Comb. 2

Comb. 3

Comb. 4

Comb. 5

What is the colour of seats and curtains and does it have enough natural lighting?
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
segemia
#3 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:19:50 AM

Swenani wrote:
segemia wrote:

Here we go...

Comb. 1

Comb. 2

Comb. 3

Comb. 4

Comb. 5

What is the colour of seats and curtains and does it have enough natural lighting?

The house is empty and there is enough natural light. No one knows what type of furniture or curtains will be kept in there. However, one thing eill be for sure…that the paint colours will determine the colour of furniture and the curtains.
callaspade
#4 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:32:43 AM

...is this request on profit sharing for wazuans? Just asking
Swenani
#5 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:46:08 AM

segemia wrote:
Swenani wrote:
segemia wrote:

Here we go...

Comb. 1

Comb. 2

Comb. 3

Comb. 4

Comb. 5

The house is empty and there is enough natural light. No one knows what type of furniture or curtains will be kept in there. However, one thing eill be for sure…that the paint colours will determine the colour of furniture and the curtains.

I will go for 5 or 2(in order of preference) though in both combinations, I would consider the walls painting on the ceiling and vice versa
Julie
#6 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 12:50:20 PM

I'd go for 5
wangu.n
#7 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 1:43:48 PM

I sometimes find myself giving color scheme advice and there is one thing I always tell my clients. You know how a new song comes out and you feel that you just love it and can't get enough of it? soon after hearing it so many times you get sick of it and can't stand it. It's the same with wall paint.. Very bright and overwhelming colors can be exciting at first but after some time in the house they become an unsettling menance.

With this in mind, try to choose a subtle color pallete for your walls. Use the couch, curtains and other soft furnishings to add pops of color.

From your options I would go with combo 5

Alternatively, I would paint the ceiling white, keep the walls and the door as they are, then on this wall facing the door paint stripes in alternating colors or some other creative use of wall paint.

This gives you the 3 colors your client wants, bright color on a focal wall in a creative way and your client does'nt feel like pulling their hair out after several months of living in a screaming house..

my two cents...
Ceinz
#8 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 9:34:09 PM

wangu.n wrote:
I sometimes find myself giving color scheme advice and there is one thing I always tell my clients. You know how a new song comes out and you feel that you just love it and can't get enough of it? soon after hearing it so many times you get sick of it and can't stand it. It's the same with wall paint.. Very bright and overwhelming colors can be exciting at first but after some time in the house they become an unsettling menance.

With this in mind, try to choose a subtle color pallete for your walls. Use the couch, curtains and other soft furnishings to add pops of color.

Alternatively, I would paint the ceiling white, keep the walls and the door as they are, then on this wall facing the door paint stripes in alternating colors or some other creative use of wall paint.

This gives you the 3 colors your client wants, bright color on a focal wall in a creative way and your client does'nt feel like pulling their hair out after several months of living in a screaming house..

my two cents...

Couldn't agree more
“small step for man”
Tara
#9 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 11:34:24 PM

I'd go with 5 but paint the ceiling white (why oh why do kenyans like these bright colors?) Then I would use the furniture and other decorations to warm up the place. If posting pictures here was easy I'd give you an example.
kaka2za
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 7:28:35 AM

All five look the same to me.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
kiash
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 10:21:20 AM

No 5 and paint the ceiling white.It will add more light to the room.
nakujua
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 11:47:31 AM

how big is the sitting room, and is it closed up ama is it an open plan that marries the kitchen, na iko na dirisha ngapi.

where is the client more likely to purchase their furniture
Swenani
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:33:34 PM

nakujua wrote:
how big is the sitting room, and is it closed up ama is it an open plan that marries the kitchen, na iko na dirisha ngapi.

The sitting room is closed plan which divorces the kitchen and the client will mostly likely purchase their furniture from a furniture shop
mmarto
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:40:07 PM

segemia wrote:

Here we go...

Comb. 1

Comb. 2

Comb. 3

Comb. 4

Comb. 5

With what application/tool did you create the room features. I'd like to lay hold of one so i can try various combinations of colours for my rooms. I have also seen a handy tool at an architects that gives virtual reality(or a tour) i.e shows the entire building from any angle(internal and external)
The only time you should be looking down on others is when you are helping them up.
jaggernaut
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 23, 2015 9:23:12 PM

Whatever happened to the ceiling being brilliant white?
nakujua
#16 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 1:57:35 AM

Swenani wrote:
nakujua wrote:

The sitting room is closed plan which divorces the kitchen and the client will mostly likely purchase their furniture from a furniture shop

smile closed furniture shop or the open air furniture shop.
If it is the closed furniture shop they can go with option 2, if its the open air furniture shop then they are better with a white ceiling and beige walls.
segemia
#17 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:46:41 AM

Ceinz wrote:
wangu.n wrote:

my two cents...

Couldn't agree more

It is true that hues are not very good in the long term. That is why I have confined all to shades, tints and moderate tones.

Three colours are a bit difficult to harmonise.
segemia
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 9:51:19 AM

Swenani wrote:
nakujua wrote:

Quite correct, the sitting room is closed 14ft by 16ft in size. It has one window of size 7ft wide by 5ft height.
segemia
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:06:07 AM

Thanks guys for your comments. Here is another set of combinations...which one do you like?

Comb.6

Comb.7

Comb.8

Comb.9

Comb.10
jamplu
#20 Posted : Wednesday, June 24, 2015 10:23:10 AM

Please use small palettes first see whether your
eyes can stand them then place them on the walls as you are doing.

Have just picked a simple palette which can go with brown for you.

Am not a color scientist sorry but lunch lazima utanunua.