wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
JKUAT Assembled laptop now on sale
murchr
#21 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 5:22:42 PM

I notice some thirst for a "Made in Kenya" something. A while back KTN showcased some dude claiming that he created the first "Kenyan Drone" what they didn't do was to research and find out that the euro-copter was on sale on Amazon. I won't bash JKUAT for assembling a laptop, but did they design it, the specs apart from the logo? Universities in Kenya should FOCUS on researching on materials that can produce a cheaper microprocessor than the one Intel is offering right now. A screen/keyboard that is dust proof etc But this could be the beginning. Bashing is what led to the death of the Nyayo pioneer

Who remembers Mahindra the car that sold to the Kenya police back in the 90s? You should see the Mahindra of today.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nakujua
#22 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:14:45 PM

TNT wrote:
nakujua wrote:
TNT wrote:
Assembled in Kenya with parts from China... Do you really need someone studying for a serious degree like, say, Mechatronics Engineering to insert part A into slot B and screw parts C and D together? I mean, you can train a chimp to do that. Even worse, JKUAT couldn't even design an original logo for their product. Instead, they just had to plagiarize one of the most creative logos out there -- Sony's VAIO logo.

The whole process of putting together a laptop and bringing it to market, taking care of warranty issues, marketing and building a brand is not a chimp biashara - now scaling it to a level where production is consistent and reliable is not something you read on youtube and implement.

Who cares where the small parts inside come from, heck even apple buy parts from samsung and from some other companies in china, the parts are no issue anyone with cash can buy them from wherever, lakini the assembly and design of the final product is what matters - the end user wants a good experience with the end product - and that's where kazi iko.

on the logo, you can start by copying and build your brand pole pole, I see no issue with that, some of the fastest growing guys started like that.

When you set the bar so low for arguably some of the country's best brains, it's easy to see why Kenya is struggling to make the leap to a developing nation. Seriously, high school dropouts assemble laptops in River Road every day and they are probably better at it than the Juja boys.

Ideally, JKUAT should have MANUFACTURED the parts, some guy studying craft in a village polytechnic would have assembled the parts into a machine and then some guy in a college like Zetech or KIM would have been responsible for marketing the product. Still, even that system would be unable to compete with even the smallest global player in this space. In fact, this is such a cut throat space that even the likes of Sony, with all their expertise and resources, are struggling to gain traction.

All in all, JKUAT should kill this project ASAP. It's not viable and I'm even not sure if there is a University in the world that does this sort of thing. Sure, companies like Microsoft might work with Universities to develop new technology, but the role of the University normally starts and ends at the Research and Development stage, which, in my opinion, is what JKUAT should do -- develop/improve on the current computer technology and then sell or license their creation to the big players.

May be I am among the few that see something different, or I am so poor at this such that I am fascinated by what they are trying to do.

forgive my mashinani thinking, I reckon when I see a laptop I see lots of brains that went into putting it up - lakini if village craftsmen can assemble a laptop and KIM graduates can sell the same then I think JKUAT are lost.smile

But from the little I have read, I know that even apple one of the most prestigious tech company in the world does very little in terms of parts development.

That said, almost all of the big universities in the world that teach medicine also have hospitals that offer treatment for kawaida ailments and through that they get real world experience and thus improve on their research.

I see nothing wrong with a university, especially in africa learning more about tech by assembling and researching on the products that they sell to the end users and get feedback from the same, akina dell or hp will not partner with local universities - so wafanye nini ?

But I think as a country we will move far ahead if we learn to appreciate the basics, if only our architects can start putting up simple family houses then maybe they will put their knowledge to good use and come up with better building technologies.

If only our universities could partner with local road side juakali artisans and actually have the engineer students take internships at such places, then maybe they could think more of more efficient solutions ...
nakujua
#23 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:23:55 PM

murchr wrote:
I notice some thirst for a "Made in Kenya" something. A while back KTN showcased some dude claiming that he created the first "Kenyan Drone" what they didn't do was to research and find out that the euro-copter was on sale on Amazon. I won't bash JKUAT for assembling a laptop, but did they design it, the specs apart from the logo? Universities in Kenya should FOCUS on researching on materials that can produce a cheaper microprocessor than the one Intel is offering right now. A screen/keyboard that is dust proof etc But this could be the beginning. Bashing is what led to the death of the Nyayo pioneer

Who remembers Mahindra the car that sold to the Kenya police back in the 90s? You should see the Mahindra of today.

I think the kenyan universities are already disadvantaged, especially technology wise - the big guys the likes of akina intel will not partner with our local institutions, not any time soon anyway.

The challenge with modern research is the real world feedback that is needed at different iterations, the big universities benefit from those partnerships.

But I think we need to copy and study those copies, our universities should actually focus on copying and localizing the technology and with time they will have enough knowledge and data to provide solutions that work efficiently for our environment.

Hata the americans copied the Russian rocket technology, sasa angalia NASA.smile
GGK
#24 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 10:55:35 AM

The key aspect of selling a product is differentiation. How is this JKUAT thing different from kawaida Dell out there. Are the parts made for JKUAT at their specification or are they just generic compatibles? whats the input of JUKUAT to the entire laptop.

Usually if you open a HP laptop, you realize that the screen is Samsung, the Hard disk is made by someone else and the processor Intel. What big manufacturers do is they subcontract parts to specialized players and they claim ownership of the integrated product. Just like Boeing/Airbus which runs on Rolls-Royce/General Electric engines.

JKUAT as a pointer is OK but I believe that such a daunting task should be taken up by someone who can easily establish systems and channels to accomplish this.

Universities can still do a lot like lending out their specialized labs for industrial research, testing and development. But rolling-out a such a product successfully.....Not they wont last.
"..I am because we are. "― Ubuntu, Umtu,
washiku
#25 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 5:15:58 PM

Okay, whichever way, they are assembling the damn things. What can we do with it now and support them to go to the next level? Can Uhuru high it to assemble the ones for schools? That would mean thousands of jobs locally. Now that we are saying they are "not any different" from the ones already manufactured by others, why don't we then pour the billions of shillings at JKUAT instead of pouring them to India or China?

JKUAT targets 1500 laptops per day
Impunity
#26 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 7:32:11 PM

washiku wrote:
Okay, whichever way, they are assembling the damn things. What can we do with it now and support them to go to the next level? Can Uhuru high it to assemble the ones for schools? That would mean thousands of jobs locally. Now that we are saying they are "not any different" from the ones already manufactured by others, why don't we then pour the billions of shillings at JKUAT instead of pouring them to India or China?

No, he can only hire.

Sad
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

NinjaKawasaki
#27 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 10:23:48 PM

Impunity wrote:
washiku wrote:

No, he can only hire.

Sad

Unfortunately "assembling the damn things" here in kenya might be too expensive.

-"assembling the damn things"..you must know why you are doing it...the business aspect, if its way cheaper in china, then think how to use them and still make money (in this case cut Government production costs)

-As far as we are patriotic, lets do it the efficient way.

Jkuat are engaging in a noble activity in the wrong way, this should be left to business oriented organisations that know "Why do it " should be well justified before touching a screw driver.
murchr
#28 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 10:57:14 PM

nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:

I think the kenyan universities are already disadvantaged, especially technology wise - the big guys the likes of akina intel will not partner with our local institutions, not any time soon anyway.

The challenge with modern research is the real world feedback that is needed at different iterations, the big universities benefit from those partnerships.

But I think we need to copy and study those copies, our universities should actually focus on copying and localizing the technology and with time they will have enough knowledge and data to provide solutions that work efficiently for our environment.

Hata the americans copied the Russian rocket technology, sasa angalia NASA.smile

IBM has partnered with Catholic University
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nakujua
#29 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 11:48:59 PM

murchr wrote:
nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:

Didn't know that, in what area and is the partnership research oriented ama its them selling software to the university - if they are using Catholic University to do their software research then that would be great, though software is easier to develop and research without a big outlay on physical resources.
nakujua
#30 Posted : Monday, June 15, 2015 11:52:11 PM

NinjaKawasaki wrote:
Impunity wrote:
washiku wrote:

No, he can only hire.

Sad

Unfortunately "assembling the damn things" here in kenya might be too expensive.

-"assembling the damn things"..you must know why you are doing it...the business aspect, if its way cheaper in china, then think how to use them and still make money (in this case cut Government production costs)

-As far as we are patriotic, lets do it the efficient way.

Jkuat are engaging in a noble activity in the wrong way, this should be left to business oriented organisations that know "Why do it " should be well justified before touching a screw driver.

hawa watu wa JKUAT wako wapi watueleze kinaga ubaga wanachofanya na wanacho lenga kuafikia...
smile
I have no idea how their internal operations are, or what their objectives or goals are - but I have a feeling they are not doing this mainly as a business interest, I think they are trying to create a product that they can sell yes, but mostly benefitial to them when it comes to research on a working product in the market.

I don't think sending the assembly to CHina will expose them much to the nitty-gritty of assembly and parts development.
NinjaKawasaki
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:36:50 AM

Its true that:

Hp does not manufacture computers
dell does not manufacture computers

..but they are not mere assembling organisations, it is the easiest thing to do!

They leave the hardware production where it is much cheaper - Taiwan - Quanta, Clevo

Focus on business, Research and development especially on software eg security, cloud, analytics, big data etc.

Therefore Jkuat should focus on more strategic issues like business models or research.

I was lucky to attend a few months training in huawei. While going for lunch, a very large number of chinese appeared from the other blocks of the complex, so I inquired from the chinese administrator. His answer

"..those are staff members in Research and development, almost 50% of huawei staff"

further inquiry, I learnt that as we are currently rolling out 4g, they are now researching on 5g..or whatever it will be called" I was astonished, I took my lunch nevertheless and assured myself ill keep on working hard., at least in my individual capacity.
murchr
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 12:54:01 AM

nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:
nakujua wrote:
murchr wrote:

Didn't know that, in what area and is the partnership research oriented ama its them selling software to the university - if they are using Catholic University to do their software research then that would be great, though software is easier to develop and research without a big outlay on physical resources.

IBM has become more of a data company than a hardware company. To create/come up with software that can serve a purpose, you have to collect data and extrapolate it and come up with a software solution to solve a problem. We gather so much data using our phones cars etc which can be very interesting
Rollout
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 16, 2015 6:37:56 PM

JKUAT should first start with researching on how to manufacture fertilizers, Kenyans are starving for heavenly sake, start with the "A" before you get to the "T".
Impunity
#34 Posted : Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:27:49 AM

Rollout wrote:
JKUAT should first start with researching on how to manufacture fertilizers, Kenyans are starving for heavenly sake, start with the "A" before you get to the "T".

Say manufacture manure, fertilizer is too complicated for them as yet.

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Money Whisperer
#35 Posted : Friday, June 19, 2015 4:22:58 PM

nakujua wrote:
Finally a laptop that can be claimed at least to have originated hapa kenya.

Its a 14' display, with a core i3 processor clocked at kindu 2.4Ghz.
iko na ka hdmi port, optical drive na inakuja na 4GB za RAM, a 500GB sata hard drive and comes pre-installed na windows 8.1.

all that for an asking price ya Ksh. 49,000 and if unajua someone huko jkuat Ksh. 47,900

the logo looks familiar and I don't think the ka flag at the corner will do their marketing any good, but overall it looks like a decent deal - to the patriotic guys nunua kenya.smile

Details hapa

logo looks familiar because it is same font as sony viao
"Money never sleeps"