wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
JKUAT Assembled laptop now on sale
nakujua
#1 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 8:33:34 PM

Finally a laptop that can be claimed at least to have originated hapa kenya.

Its a 14' display, with a core i3 processor clocked at kindu 2.4Ghz.
iko na ka hdmi port, optical drive na inakuja na 4GB za RAM, a 500GB sata hard drive and comes pre-installed na windows 8.1.

all that for an asking price ya Ksh. 49,000 and if unajua someone huko jkuat Ksh. 47,900

the logo looks familiar and I don't think the ka flag at the corner will do their marketing any good, but overall it looks like a decent deal - to the patriotic guys nunua kenya.smile

Details hapa
subzero
#2 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 8:41:09 PM

what's new here ?

haven't we been assembling PCs for the longest time?
what would be interesting is if some of the components were manufactured locally.
geofreygachie
#3 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 9:56:17 PM

nakujua wrote:
Finally a laptop that can be claimed at least to have originated hapa kenya.

Its a 14' display, with a core i3 processor clocked at kindu 2.4Ghz.
iko na ka hdmi port, optical drive na inakuja na 4GB za RAM, a 500GB sata hard drive and comes pre-installed na windows 8.1.

all that for an asking price ya Ksh. 49,000 and if unajua someone huko jkuat Ksh. 47,900

the logo looks familiar and I don't think the ka flag at the corner will do their marketing any good, but overall it looks like a decent deal - to the patriotic guys nunua kenya.smile

Details hapa

The specs page indicates the processor model is 400m which does not exist,I think they meant Intel core i3 4000m @ 2.4ghz
But looks good
A good start.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Mukiri
#4 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 11:31:24 PM

Im surprised this is not at Club SK. This is great for Kenya. Hope UHURUTO's laptop project sources its laptops here

Proverbs 19:21
nakujua
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 1:15:55 AM

subzero wrote:
what's new here ?

haven't we been assembling PCs for the longest time?
what would be interesting is if some of the components were manufactured locally.

laptop assembly and the kawaida desktop PC assembly ni tofauti, try assembling your own laptop and you will realize how hard it is to get universal fitting laptop parts.

Anyway I think its a good move, JKUAT is heavily involved and that means some knowledge is being retained and developed in our higher learning institutions.

My only disappointment is the price, I wish they went with a celeron processor and open source os, or tried the atom processor plus their customized os.
Would have pushed the price down and maybe they would have convinced the government to source the school laptops from them.

But a decent start, hope they don't give up along the way.
TNT
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 9:00:09 AM

Assembled in Kenya with parts from China... Do you really need someone studying for a serious degree like, say, Mechatronics Engineering to insert part A into slot B and screw parts C and D together? I mean, you can train a chimp to do that. Even worse, JKUAT couldn't even design an original logo for their product. Instead, they just had to plagiarize one of the most creative logos out there -- Sony's VAIO logo.
Impunity
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:12:04 AM

TNT wrote:
Assembled in Kenya with parts from China... Do you really need someone studying for a serious degree like, say, Mechatronics Engineering to insert part A into slot B and screw parts C and D together? I mean, you can train a chimp to do that. Even worse, JKUAT couldn't even design an original logo for their product. Instead, they just had to plagiarize one of the most creative logos out there -- Sony's VAIO logo.

Even that "JSTAR" thing on the upper left is the most hogwash thing they ever did.
We have jetstar in india,sonystar,starwash,harambee stars,taifa stars,and several plagiarized stars.
NKT.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

nakujua
#8 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 1:12:44 PM

TNT wrote:

The whole process of putting together a laptop and bringing it to market, taking care of warranty issues, marketing and building a brand is not a chimp biashara - now scaling it to a level where production is consistent and reliable is not something you read on youtube and implement.

Who cares where the small parts inside come from, heck even apple buy parts from samsung and from some other companies in china, the parts are no issue anyone with cash can buy them from wherever, lakini the assembly and design of the final product is what matters - the end user wants a good experience with the end product - and that's where kazi iko.

on the logo, you can start by copying and build your brand pole pole, I see no issue with that, some of the fastest growing guys started like that.
FRM2011
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 2:23:56 PM

nakujua wrote:
TNT wrote:

The whole process of putting together a laptop and bringing it to market, taking care of warranty issues, marketing and building a brand is not a chimp biashara - now scaling it to a level where production is consistent and reliable is not something you read on youtube and implement.

Who cares where the small parts inside come from, heck even apple buy parts from samsung and from some other companies in china, the parts are no issue anyone with cash can buy them from wherever, lakini the assembly and design of the final product is what matters - the end user wants a good experience with the end product - and that's where kazi iko.

on the logo, you can start by copying and build your brand pole pole, I see no issue with that, some of the fastest growing guys started like that.

@Nakujua thumbs up man. I am a fanatical believer if buy kenya build kenya. To see anyone criticizing this great effort by jkuat is heartbreaking. Like mzee moi used to say, "mwafrika nywele ngumu maneno yake ngumu".

Imagine if UMK gave a directive that the m.o.e buys 10 laptops for every public school in kenya. Thats over 200,000 laptops.

The next thing to happen would be for the country to find itself with a very unique and good problem. Shortage of skilled labour to handle that single LPO.

Now that's a first world problem i would want to face in my lifetime in my beloved country.
NinjaKawasaki
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:32:44 PM

"...buy kenya, build kenya"....but not on this project. This is why:

"In addition to the superb kenyan tea, kenya is proud for giving the world one of the most superior car brand called toyota...."
..after all, we have a toyota assembly plant here in kenya, dont we ?

Assembling a laptop is a hand skill task, no innovation/creativity required,let the engineers in the making (students) go back to class.

The logo is a copy of sony vaio.

47-49k..many would still opt for hp,acer,dell,toshiba etc.

Jstar label looks terrible.

If i were the one in charge,in brief this is how I would do it:

-Define assembly processes required
-Get skilled labor which is in abundance across the country(Laptop repair technicians)
-Get supervisors.
-Load open source OS, applications, cutting the cost much lower.

nakujua
#11 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:42:25 PM

NinjaKawasaki wrote:

"In addition to the superb kenyan tea, kenya is proud for giving the world one of the most superior car brand called toyota"

Assembling a laptop is a hand skill task, no innovation/creativity required,let the engineers in the making (students) go back to class.

-Get skilled labor which is in abundance across the country(Laptop repair technicians)
-Get supervisors.

some of these thing are easy to do if one is running the company themselves - say a one man startup with loads of cash, but organizations in this case jkuat and partners - it becomes a bit hard managing different people with different ideas - you might think the logos look bad but when managing a team you get some who feel its a lovely thing.

That organization knowledge comes from experience. I would be sad to see them discontinue - you learn from every iteration.

But all in all its not a bad product on paper, and even if you look at machines with similar specs that's the price range you get.

But I agree with your last suggestion, an open source os would have knocked the cost down by between 7- 10 k, the others I think they have skilled labor and supervision - they have already produced around 4000 units (according to their site).
nakujua
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 4:47:09 PM

NinjaKawasaki wrote:

"In addition to the superb kenyan tea, kenya is proud for giving the world one of the most superior car brand called toyota...."
..after all, we have a toyota assembly plant here in kenya, dont we ?

-Get supervisors.

it would be a bit disingenuous to compare the toyota assembly plant to what jkuat are doing or even what the guys at mobius are doing, the former keep their own brand while the rest are trying to create a local brand, it like saying because the iPhone is assembled in china its a Chinese product - the brand belongs to the Americans, and to the consumer its the end finished product that maters most.
Gordon Gekko
#13 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 6:51:33 PM

Is i3 a deal at 47k? I don't think so......
Lolest!
#14 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 7:39:43 PM

Mageria no mo mahota(Keep trying you might make it)
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Mukiri
#15 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 8:11:37 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
nakujua wrote:
TNT wrote:

@Nakujua thumbs up man. I am a fanatical believer if buy kenya build kenya. To see anyone criticizing this great effort by jkuat is heartbreaking. Like mzee moi used to say, "mwafrika nywele ngumu maneno yake ngumu".

Imagine if UMK gave a directive that the m.o.e buys 10 laptops for every public school in kenya. Thats over 200,000 laptops.

The next thing to happen would be for the country to find itself with a very unique and good problem. Shortage of skilled labour to handle that single LPO.

Now that's a first world problem i would want to face in my lifetime in my beloved country.

Ditto!

It's a start. Better than the lip-service the critics are voicing. With time, and more people getting into it, the sky is the limit. We can be another China for all it matters, they do it. And they do it well. And are going places.

Laptops, cars, phones everything! We can c̶o̶p̶y̶ do it!Drool

Proverbs 19:21
alma
#16 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 8:23:42 PM

At least they have done more than iHub.

Copying isn't evil.

BUT

We all know this will end up like Nyayo Car, Njumbiree have become experts at that.

Think positive. Someone copied someone and has the audacity to promote it. Reminds me of all the NYSE companies. Lets support and keep gov't out of it.
Jose: If I make it through this thug life, I'll see you one day. The Lord is the only way to stop the hurt.
nakujua
#17 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 8:41:13 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:

Well that's relative, depend on who wants to buy.
subzero
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 3:12:10 AM

reminds me of Noris Kaboo, Kenya's first tablet.

First and last time heard in 2011 in similar hype

kenya's first tablet computer

ole3
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 7:43:35 AM

nakujua wrote:
Gordon Gekko wrote:

Well that's relative, depend on who wants to buy.

selling at a bargain is important - target a certain niche

likes of techno, wiko
TNT
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 4:16:53 PM

nakujua wrote:
TNT wrote:

When you set the bar so low for arguably some of the country's best brains, it's easy to see why Kenya is struggling to make the leap to a developing nation. Seriously, high school dropouts assemble laptops in River Road every day and they are probably better at it than the Juja boys.

Ideally, JKUAT should have MANUFACTURED the parts, some guy studying craft in a village polytechnic would have assembled the parts into a machine and then some guy in a college like Zetech or KIM would have been responsible for marketing the product. Still, even that system would be unable to compete with even the smallest global player in this space. In fact, this is such a cut throat space that even the likes of Sony, with all their expertise and resources, are struggling to gain traction.

All in all, JKUAT should kill this project ASAP. It's not viable and I'm even not sure if there is a University in the world that does this sort of thing. Sure, companies like Microsoft might work with Universities to develop new technology, but the role of the University normally starts and ends at the Research and Development stage, which, in my opinion, is what JKUAT should do -- develop/improve on the current computer technology and then sell or license their creation to the big players.