wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Doing up road
banker01
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:04:37 PM

Hi wazuans

The road I live on is about 500 meters of black cotton soil there is no drainage and it floods making it impossible for cars to pass through. Would anyone have a solution to this. Is placing red soil on top of the black cotton to cover the deep holes + compacting and digging up a drain on the side a wise thing or ballast or any suggestions. whom would I need to apply to for approval of doing so.

Sad Sad d'oh!
Bachuma Gate
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 8:47:55 PM

It depends on your budget. The lower side is to dig up and remove black cotton and lay hardcore.
DOH
kayhara
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 10, 2015 10:16:16 PM

banker01 wrote:
Hi wazuans

The road I live on is about 500 meters of black cotton soil there is no drainage and it floods making it impossible for cars to pass through. Would anyone have a solution to this. Is placing red soil on top of the black cotton to cover the deep holes + compacting and digging up a drain on the side a wise thing or ballast or any suggestions. whom would I need to apply to for approval of doing so.

Sad Sad d'oh!

I saw a road like this in Laikipia, very practical if the road has no much traffic, relatively cheap, and since it is stone rain water sips into the ground, fun to drive on as you try to keep the wheels on the tracks
To Each His Own
nakujua
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:54:23 AM

Bachuma Gate wrote:
It depends on your budget. The lower side is to dig up and remove black cotton and lay hardcore.

true, hapa budget matters - removing black cotton for 500m and filling it up might turn out to be on the higher side. as long as drainage is catered for, i.e slanting the road kiasi - I think a nice layer of hardcore on top of the black cotton should suffice, adding red soil might not work since instead of sinking in as in the case of black cotton, cars would end up skidding where that ka red soil is.

Unless its a private road you will definitely have to talk to the local kanju guys.
nakujua
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 11:56:50 AM

kayhara wrote:
banker01 wrote:
Hi wazuans

Sad Sad d'oh!

I saw a road like this in Laikipia, very practical if the road has no much traffic, relatively cheap, and since it is stone rain water sips into the ground, fun to drive on as you try to keep the wheels on the tracks

looks nice, but one would have to start with planting the grass especially in black cotton areas since the rains would just cover the tracks back with soil.
majimaji
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 11, 2015 1:57:33 PM

banker01 wrote:
Hi wazuans

Sad Sad d'oh!

We can cut the drainage and stabilise the road. If you are serious, we can give you a quotation.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#7 Posted : Friday, June 12, 2015 8:06:24 PM

The soils become water-logged because there is no room for flowing, hire a caterpillar n make it even such that the middle of teh road is raised high such that whenever it rains teh rainwater flows to either the left side or right side. Buy murram, 5 12-wheeler lorries should be enough. That will be the best solution.
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.