wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages«<234
20 policemen feared dead in garissa alshabab attack
MaichBlack
#61 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:00:43 AM

@Muriel - Word!!!

I also could not believe that was @Swenani the Airport Manager!!!

Good work @Swenani. Let those shouting about the law respond. Now if you could only keep your head (the one on your shoulders/neck) off the airport long enough!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
AlphDoti
#62 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:42:48 PM

Muriel wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
harrydre wrote:
mpobiz wrote:
Bigchick wrote:
How sad that we are actually waiting to hear about deaths.

What has become of our society?

Thats the question @harry has been asking all along. Politics has realy made some of shame the hayenas . We should all be holding our breath as we wait for good news.when a bus accident happens do we pray for more deaths so that we can have more weight in condeming our government road safety policy? Shindwe pepo!

Yesterday, KDF killed some UGUS, we did not hear anything. Today some attack the cops, are repelled but cops get injured. Instead of people praising the cops and encouraging them for the good work, they declare them dead with zero facts. Ojinga!

why should people care when ugus are killed? why should you praise someone for doing what they have been employed to do?people care when KENYANS are killed because we pay taxes for the protection of Kenyans and not to kill ugus.When the president takes oath, he always pledges/swears to protect the sovereignty(read security) of the country, no where does he swear/pledge to kill ugus, Killing ugus is ONLY part of the protection.The problem with these governemnt in secutity matters is that they prefer to blame anyone/everyone apart from themselves

You seem to be the only one who doesn't know who frustrates any effort put in place in the name of HUMAN RIGHTS.

I told you this issue can only be dealt with if we became pro-active instead of reactive. In Kenya its a crime to be pro-active. EG if today I was planning to attack any place, the cops cant arrest me because I haven't committed a crime. We need to have laws that where people can be arrested for "Conspiracy to commit a crime/murder/terror etc"

Bullshit, As I said you and your jubilee govt like blaming everyone and everything apart from yourselves, which law/part of law should be changed?

Sections from penal code

Quote:
43A. Any person who, with intent to help the enemy, does any act
which is designed or likely to give assistance to the enemy, or to interfere
with the maintenance of public order or the government of Kenya, or
to impede the operation of the disciplined forces, or to endanger life,
is guilty of a felony and is liable to imprisonment for life.

Quote:
44. Any person who, without lawful authority, carries on, or makes
preparation for carrying on, or aids in or advises the carrying on of, or
preparation for, any war or warlike undertaking with, for, by or against
any person or body or group of persons in Kenya, is guilty of a felony
and is liable to imprisonment for life.

Prevention of terrorism Act

Quote:
5. A person who, directly or indirectly, collects, attempts to collect, provides, attempts to provide or invites a person to provide or make available any property, funds or a service intending, knowing or heaving reasonable grounds to believe that such property, funds or service shall be used—

Quote:
6. A person who possesses any property intending or knowing that it shall be used, whether directly or indirectly or in whole or in part, for the commission of, or facilitating the commission of a terrorist act, commits an offence and is liable, on conviction. to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

Quote:
224. Any person who conspires with any other person to kill any
person, whether that person is in Kenya or elsewhere, is guilty of a
felony and is liable to imprisonment for fourteen years.

Quote:
9. (1) A person who knowingly supports or solicits support for the commission of a terrorist act by any person or terrorist group commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

I can probably fill a whole page by pasting the terrorism act and penal code. If RAO, Muhuri,Haki africa are guilty the way you want us to believe, they can be charged in court of law without amending existing law

Quote:
23. (1) A person who, being outside Kenya, conspires with a person who is in Kenya to carry out a terrorist act in any place outside Kenya being an act which if committed in Kenya, would constitute an offence under this Act shall be deemed to have conspired to commit that act in Kenya.

(2) A person who, being in Kenya, conspires with a person who is outside Kenya carry out a terrorist act in Kenya shall be deemed to have conspired in Kenya to carry out that act.

(3) A person who, being outside Kenya, conspires with a person who is outside Kenya to carry out a terrorist act in Kenya shall be deemed to have conspired in Kenya to do that act.

(4) A person who conspires to carry out a terrorist act under this section commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

ION, Don't you think Duale should be charged for ahrbouring terrorists?

Quote:
10. A person who harbors or conceals, or prevents, hinders or interferes with the arrest of a person knowing, or having reason to believe that such person—

(a) has committed or intends to commit a terrorist act; or

(b) is a member of a terrorist group,

commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding thirty years.

I like your flashes of brilliance, Swenani. Why do you waste it on fleshly matters?

Good one @wazuafishmonger Applause

The next thing you'll hear from the Jubilee sycophants is "where were you when your daughter was being raped?"

McReggae
#63 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:00:38 PM

A certain apologist always disappear when discussion get's to real stuff!!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
murchr
#64 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 2:58:28 PM

Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
harrydre wrote:
mpobiz wrote:
Bigchick wrote:

Thats the question @harry has been asking all along. Politics has realy made some of shame the hayenas . We should all be holding our breath as we wait for good news.when a bus accident happens do we pray for more deaths so that we can have more weight in condeming our government road safety policy? Shindwe pepo!

Yesterday, KDF killed some UGUS, we did not hear anything. Today some attack the cops, are repelled but cops get injured. Instead of people praising the cops and encouraging them for the good work, they declare them dead with zero facts. Ojinga!

why should people care when ugus are killed? why should you praise someone for doing what they have been employed to do?people care when KENYANS are killed because we pay taxes for the protection of Kenyans and not to kill ugus.When the president takes oath, he always pledges/swears to protect the sovereignty(read security) of the country, no where does he swear/pledge to kill ugus, Killing ugus is ONLY part of the protection.The problem with these governemnt in secutity matters is that they prefer to blame anyone/everyone apart from themselves

You seem to be the only one who doesn't know who frustrates any effort put in place in the name of HUMAN RIGHTS.

I told you this issue can only be dealt with if we became pro-active instead of reactive. In Kenya its a crime to be pro-active. EG if today I was planning to attack any place, the cops cant arrest me because I haven't committed a crime. We need to have laws that where people can be arrested for "Conspiracy to commit a crime/murder/terror etc"

Bullshit, As I said you and your jubilee govt like blaming everyone and everything apart from yourselves, which law/part of law should be changed?

Sections from penal code

Quote:

From that alone. How do you prove "intent" if you find me in my house with Nails, fertilizer? The words "designed or likely to give assistance" say that you should have the bomb in place or what? Remember in the laws of Kenya you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Quote:

Quote:
5. A person who, directly or indirectly, collects, attempts to collect, provides, attempts to provide or invites a person to provide or make available any property, funds or a service intending, knowing or heaving reasonable grounds to believe that such property, funds or service shall be used—

Quote:
6. A person who possesses any property intending or knowing that it shall be used, whether directly or indirectly or in whole or in part, for the commission of, or facilitating the commission of a terrorist act, commits an offence and is liable, on conviction. to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

Quote:

Quote:
9. (1) A person who knowingly supports or solicits support for the commission of a terrorist act by any person or terrorist group commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

I can probably fill a whole page by pasting the terrorism act and penal code. If RAO, Muhuri,Haki africa are guilty the way you want us to believe, they can be charged in court of law without amending existing law

Quote:
23. (1) A person who, being outside Kenya, conspires with a person who is in Kenya to carry out a terrorist act in any place outside Kenya being an act which if committed in Kenya, would constitute an offence under this Act shall be deemed to have conspired to commit that act in Kenya.

(2) A person who, being in Kenya, conspires with a person who is outside Kenya carry out a terrorist act in Kenya shall be deemed to have conspired in Kenya to carry out that act.

(3) A person who, being outside Kenya, conspires with a person who is outside Kenya to carry out a terrorist act in Kenya shall be deemed to have conspired in Kenya to do that act.

(4) A person who conspires to carry out a terrorist act under this section commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

ION, Don't you think Duale should be charged for harboring terrorists?

Quote:
10. A person who harbors or conceals, or prevents, hinders or interferes with the arrest of a person knowing, or having reason to believe that such person—

commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding thirty years.

Will be back later with examples.

@McReggae.......Some of us have real jobs. We dont serve politicians chai during the day and become team Otoyos in the afternoon. I will be back. Make sure you buy bundles
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Swenani
#65 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 3:12:22 PM

murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
harrydre wrote:
mpobiz wrote:
Bigchick wrote:

Sections from penal code

Quote:

From that alone. How do you prove "intent" if you find me in my house with Nails, fertilizer? The words "designed or likely to give assistance" say that you should have the bomb in place or what? Remember in the laws of Kenya you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

@McReggae.......Some of us have real jobs. We dont serve politicians chai during the day and become team Otoyos in the afternoon. I will be back. Make sure you buy bundles

smile smile Your real job is serving the government chicken during the day and become a 2 pm gang in the afternoon?

I'm employed by wazua to idle on these wazua streets
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
murchr
#66 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 8:36:17 PM

Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:

Sections from penal code

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

smile smile Your real job is serving the government chicken during the day and become a 2 pm gang in the afternoon?

First of all, lets go step by step. Any lawyer will tell you that in the laws of Kenya, the BILL OF RIGHTS take priority over all other laws in Kenya.

Read the BILL OF RIGHTS HERE

So even if the police investigate some low life and find him to be plotting some crime, either by phone conversation (How do you prove that you heard him talk about it) the laws of Kenya protect that person because he has the freedom to express themselves in speech and the authorities have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the guy had the INTENT to commit a crime.

Even if he is taken in for questioning, he is liable to get out on bail and disappear in thin air as has been the case

Lets discuss intent.

CHAPTER IV – GENERAL RULES AS TO CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY

Intention and motive

(1) talks about accidents - ignore that
(2)
Unless the intention to cause a particular result is expressly declared to be an element of the offence constituted, in whole or part, by an act or omission, the result intended to be caused by an act or omission is immaterial.

(3)
Unless otherwise expressly declared, the motive by which a person is induced to do or omit to do an act, or to form an intention, is immaterial so far as regards criminal responsibility.

Note the wording there, expressly Declared meaning explicitly or clearly or solely. So if Mr low life goes to a fertilizer shop and buys some nails and fertilizer or petrol, the authorities have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mr. low life was in the process of making a bomb, and is not a farmer who is planning on growing crops, a retailer of the same, or is purchasing these for someone etc etc. The other word, INDUCED means "succeed in persuading or influencing (someone) to do something". What if they fail, will low life argue that there was no intent?

Now to the terrorism act.

Quote:
“terrorist act” means an act or threat of action—
(a) which—
(i) involves the use of violence against a person;
(ii) endangers the life of a person, other than the person committing the action;
(iii) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public;
(iv) results in serious damage to property;
(v) involves the use of firearms or explosives;
(vi) involves the release of any dangerous, hazardous, toxic or radioactive substance or microbial or other biological agent or toxin into the environment;
(vii) interferes with an electronic system resulting in the disruption of the provision of communication, financial, transport or other essential services;
(viii) interferes or disrupts the provision of essential or emergency services;
(ix) prejudices national security or public safety; and

Look at how reactive that definition is. What about the process of planning? Isnt that a terrorism act. Again we are not PROACTIVE. One has to be involved, to interfere, cause prejudice etc

Now lets say that low life has been arrested and taken in for questioning

Article 49(1)(h) of the Constitution of the Republic of Kenya provides that:

“an arrested person has the right –

(h) to be released on bond or bail on reasonable conditions pending a charge or trial unless there are compelling reasons not to be released.

Thee judiciary has lamented the lack of detailed legislative guidelines on the question of grant of bail particularly at the pre-trial stage where, in principle, the suspect/accused person is presumed innocent.

In the case of Aboud Rogo Mohammed & Another Vs Republic, Nairobi High Court Criminal Case Number 793 of 2010 Justice Ochieng went on record thus: ...Meanwhile, the court has to bear in mind the fact that; “Unfortunately, in Kenya, there are no legislative guidelines on bail. The court is left with an unfettered discretion to determine the issue.”

In Hassan Mahat Omar & Another Vs Republic, Nairobi High Court Criminal Revision No. 31 of 2013, Lady Justice L.A Achode rendered herself thus:

...What amounts to compelling reasons as envisaged in Article 49(1) (h) of the Constitution is a matter of judicial discretion. Kenya does not have statutory guidelines to govern the granting of bail. However, a glimpse at pertinent laws of other common law countries such as the Bail Act of England and Section 60(4) of the Criminal Procedure Code of South Africa, gives us examples of issues to consider in determining whether or not compelling reasons exist in a given case.

Judicial Decisions on bail and bond in terrorism cases in Kenya Courts in Kenya have had occasion to render themselves on applications for bail in cases involving terrorism related charges.

It is evident from the sampled cases that court’s in Kenya have suffer serious difficulties in evolving a coherent jurisprudence on guidelines that will fill the gap of a lack of legislative guidelines on determining “compelling reasons” warranting deprivation of bail.
ruling on the above case wrote:
15. The bottom line is the Applicants are charged with an offence of possessing Articles connected with a terrorism offence in that the Articles they had were for the use in instigating the commission of terrorist acts. Without appearing to belittle or trivialize the alleged offences, I note that what the Applicants are alleged to have been found with are audio and visual material which could be used to investigate terrorist acts. They are in a foreign language. An appeal by the Applicants counsel to know whether there has been an interpretation of the Articles into the language of the court went unanswered.
16. In other words the audio and visual material the Applicants are alleged to have been in possession of are material to be use to influence people ideologically, to commit terrorist acts. The actual content and how appealing it is will be demonstrated at the hearing of this case. There is also likelihood that as of the moment, even the prosecution is unaware of the actual content of the articles and the impact or effect they may have on those coming across the same. This is more than just speculation. It means that the Applicants are being held in custody on speculations.

How do you demonstrate APPEALING to commit an terrorist act? I may read or listen to that material and I may find it garbage while the same may work for someone else.

Article 19 (3) (a) of the Constitution makes it abundantly clear that the rights and fundamental freedoms in the Bill of Rights belong to each individual and they are for each individual to enjoy. The limitations upon which these rights and freedoms are subject to are spelt out under Article 49(1) (h) of the Constitution, which in short if “unless there are compelling reasons to decline bail” The burden lies with the prosecution to establish what the compelling reasons are.

In Aboud Rogo Mohammed & Another Vs Republic, Nairobi High Court

Criminal Case Number 793 of 2010 Fred Ochieng J rendered himself thus:

For now, although the assertions of the state, that the applicants’ had some connection with the suicide bomber are not baseless, the court is obliged, by Article 50 (2) (a), to uphold the legal presumption, that the applicants were innocent until the contrary was proved.
Therefore, because of the said legal presumption, it is not open to me to conclude, without the benefit of evidence, that the applicants had already been connected to Al-Shabaab. If I were to so conclude, the said conclusion would be inconsistent with the presumption of innocence.

And if the legal presumption was to have tangible meaning, at this stage, I must interpret the Constitution in such a manner as to enhance the rights and freedoms granted, rather than in a manner that curtails the said right.

In the result, I find that the respondent has not demonstrated any compelling reasons to warrant the denial of bail to the applicants herein. I do therefore allow the application.

@Swenani, quoting clauses alone doesn't help. The judges and lawyers interpret every word and its meaning as stated on the law. So if a clause is vague, its works against the prosecutor, that's why sometimes the Jury system works better. But all in all. We in Kenya have no laws that work in favor of the common man. esp on terror
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Swenani
#67 Posted : Thursday, May 28, 2015 10:01:50 AM

murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:

Sections from penal code

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First of all, lets go step by step. Any lawyer will tell you that in the laws of Kenya, the BILL OF RIGHTS take priority over all other laws in Kenya.

So even if the police investigate some low life and find him to be plotting some crime, either by phone conversation (How do you prove that you heard him talk about it) the laws of Kenya protect that person because he has the freedom to express themselves in speech and the authorities have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the guy had the INTENT to commit a crime.

Even if he is taken in for questioning, he is liable to get out on bail and disappear in thin air as has been the case

Article 24 of the same constitution provides for limitations of the same rights and fundamentals of the freedom through law... On the example you've given you want people to be jailed just because of accusations? Why do we need courts if I'm not allowed prove my innocence or if the prosector is not allowed to prove that I'm guilty?..I expect that if I'm planning a crime there must be some evidence to it.You can't just wake up and claim that I was planning a crime.Crime is commed by having tools and equipment which aid you in committing it unless its a fantasy crime.

Lets discuss intent.

Intention and motive

(2)
Unless the intention to cause a particular result is expressly declared to be an element of the offence constituted, in whole or part, by an act or omission, the result intended to be caused by an act or omission is immaterial.

(3)
Unless otherwise expressly declared, the motive by which a person is induced to do or omit to do an act, or to form an intention, is immaterial so far as regards criminal responsibility.

Note the wording there, expressly Declared meaning explicitly or clearly or solely. So if Mr low life goes to a fertilizer shop and buys some nails and fertilizer or petrol, the authorities have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that Mr. low life was in the process of making a bomb, and is not a farmer who is planning on growing crops, a retailer of the same, or is purchasing these for someone etc etc. The other word, INDUCED means "succeed in persuading or influencing (someone) to do something". What if they fail, will low life argue that there was no intent?

This is not a banana republic, the prosecutor or government has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that I had the intent to commit crime.Just because I'm taking photographs of KICC doesn't mean I want to blow it but Mr x who is a member of Alshabaab taking it means he is planning something sinister;Its up to the law/govt and me to prove that I'm not alshabaab to let me go while at the same time it's also up to the government to prove that Mr x is a member of alshabaab adn was planning something sinister;Otherwise all kenyans will be in jail for buying knives with intent to kill or commit suicide.

Quote:
(a) which—
(ii) endangers the life of a person, other than the person committing the action;
(iii) creates a serious risk to the health or safety of the public or a section of the public;
(vi) involves the release of any dangerous, hazardous, toxic or radioactive substance or microbial or other biological agent or toxin into the environment;
(vii) interferes with an electronic system resulting in the disruption of the provision of communication, financial, transport or other essential services;

Look at how reactive that definition is. What about the process of planning? Isnt that a terrorism act. Again we are not PROACTIVE. One has to be involved, to interfere, cause prejudice etc

The prevention of terrorism Act 2012

Quote:
Collection or provision of property and services for commission of terrorist acts.

(a) for the commission of, or facilitating the commission of a terrorist act; or

(b) to benefit any person or terrorist group involved in the commission of a terrorist act,

commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

Is the above reactive or proactive?

(h) to be released on bond or bail on reasonable conditions pending a charge or trial unless there are compelling reasons not to be released.

Thee judiciary has lamented the lack of detailed legislative guidelines on the question of grant of bail particularly at the pre-trial stage where, in principle, the suspect/accused person is presumed innocent.

In the case of Aboud Rogo Mohammed & Another Vs Republic, Nairobi High Court Criminal Case Number 793 of 2010 Justice Ochieng went on record thus: ...Meanwhile, the court has to bear in mind the fact that; “Unfortunately, in Kenya, there are no legislative guidelines on bail. The court is left with an unfettered discretion to determine the issue.”

In Hassan Mahat Omar & Another Vs Republic, Nairobi High Court Criminal Revision No. 31 of 2013, Lady Justice L.A Achode rendered herself thus:

...What amounts to compelling reasons as envisaged in Article 49(1) (h) of the Constitution is a matter of judicial discretion. Kenya does not have statutory guidelines to govern the granting of bail. However, a glimpse at pertinent laws of other common law countries such as the Bail Act of England and Section 60(4) of the Criminal Procedure Code of South Africa, gives us examples of issues to consider in determining whether or not compelling reasons exist in a given case.

Judicial Decisions on bail and bond in terrorism cases in Kenya Courts in Kenya have had occasion to render themselves on applications for bail in cases involving terrorism related charges.

It is evident from the sampled cases that court’s in Kenya have suffer serious difficulties in evolving a coherent jurisprudence on guidelines that will fill the gap of a lack of legislative guidelines on determining “compelling reasons” warranting deprivation of bail.
15. The bottom line is the Applicants are charged with an offence of possessing Articles connected with a terrorism offence in that the Articles they had were for the use in instigating the commission of terrorist acts. Without appearing to belittle or trivialize the alleged offences, I note that what the Applicants are alleged to have been found with are audio and visual material which could be used to investigate terrorist acts. They are in a foreign language. An appeal by the Applicants counsel to know whether there has been an interpretation of the Articles into the language of the court went unanswered.
16. In other words the audio and visual material the Applicants are alleged to have been in possession of are material to be use to influence people ideologically, to commit terrorist acts. The actual content and how appealing it is will be demonstrated at the hearing of this case. There is also likelihood that as of the moment, even the prosecution is unaware of the actual content of the articles and the impact or effect they may have on those coming across the same. This is more than just speculation. It means that the Applicants are being held in custody on speculations.

How do you demonstrate APPEALING to commit an terrorist act? I may read or listen to that material and I may find it garbage while the same may work for someone else.

The above highlights how incompetent our police and investigations are, How can you arraign someone in court for possessing materials in a foreign language while you do not provide an interpretation to the courts;The court was right, Rogo was arraigned in court on speculation, the materials could have been from Quran.So you want the courts to charge me in court for possessing materials written in chinese when the police themselves have not bothered to interpreter and read and understand the content of what is contained in those materials?

Article 19 (3) (a) of the Constitution makes it abundantly clear that the rights and fundamental freedoms in the Bill of Rights belong to each individual and they are for each individual to enjoy. The limitations upon which these rights and freedoms are subject to are spelt out under Article 49(1) (h) of the Constitution, which in short if “unless there are compelling reasons to decline bail” The burden lies with the prosecution to establish what the compelling reasons are.

I do not see anything wrong with the above or how limiting it is

For now, although the assertions of the state, that the applicants’ had some connection with the suicide bomber are not baseless, the court is obliged, by Article 50 (2) (a), to uphold the legal presumption, that the applicants were innocent until the contrary was proved.
Therefore, because of the said legal presumption, it is not open to me to conclude, without the benefit of evidence, that the applicants had already been connected to Al-Shabaab. If I were to so conclude, the said conclusion would be inconsistent with the presumption of innocence.

And if the legal presumption was to have tangible meaning, at this stage, I must interpret the Constitution in such a manner as to enhance the rights and freedoms granted, rather than in a manner that curtails the said right.

In the result, I find that the respondent has not demonstrated any compelling reasons to warrant the denial of bail to the applicants herein. I do therefore allow the application.

So in your opinion, just because I have connection to a terrorist or alshababab who could be my mother or father it makes me a terrorist or an alshabaab member too? Shouldn't the state prove that I'm a member?

The same prevention of terrorism Act allows a person who is suspected to be a terrorist to be detained for 90 days without bail upon application by the state or police to the court.From your above argument, I take it that you want the law to be amended for people to be detained or jailed based on accusations and allegations.In Judiciary world over, for a conviction to take place the prosecutor or jury should prove beyond reasonable doubt that I'm guilty or innocent.The judiciary is there to serve JUSTICE which is supposed to be Just, fair, rational and based on law otherwise we do not need the courts

@Swenani, quoting clauses alone doesn't help. The judges and lawyers interpret every word and its meaning as stated on the law. So if a clause is vague, its works against the prosecutor, that's why sometimes the Jury system works better. But all in all. We in Kenya have no laws that work in favor of the common man. esp on terror.....

....and sometimes if the law is vague it works againts the accused
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
mpobiz
#68 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 2:08:22 AM

Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:

Sections from penal code

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Article 24 of the same constitution provides for limitations of the same rights and fundamentals of the freedom through law... On the example you've given you want people to be jailed just because of accusations? Why do we need courts if I'm not allowed prove my innocence or if the prosector is not allowed to prove that I'm guilty?..I expect that if I'm planning a crime there must be some evidence to it.You can't just wake up and claim that I was planning a crime.Crime is commed by having tools and equipment which aid you in committing it unless its a fantasy crime.

Lets discuss intent.

Intention and motive

(2)

(3)

This is not a banana republic, the prosecutor or government has to prove beyond reasonable doubt that I had the intent to commit crime.Just because I'm taking photographs of KICC doesn't mean I want to blow it but Mr x who is a member of Alshabaab taking it means he is planning something sinister;Its up to the law/govt and me to prove that I'm not alshabaab to let me go while at the same time it's also up to the government to prove that Mr x is a member of alshabaab adn was planning something sinister;Otherwise all kenyans will be in jail for buying knives with intent to kill or commit suicide.

Quote:
(a) which—

Quote:
Collection or provision of property and services for commission of terrorist acts.

(a) for the commission of, or facilitating the commission of a terrorist act; or

(b) to benefit any person or terrorist group involved in the commission of a terrorist act,

commits an offence and is liable, on conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twenty years.

The above highlights how incompetent our police and investigations are, How can you arraign someone in court for possessing materials in a foreign language while you do not provide an interpretation to the courts;The court was right, Rogo was arraigned in court on speculation, the materials could have been from Quran.So you want the courts to charge me in court for possessing materials written in chinese when the police themselves have not bothered to interpreter and read and understand the content of what is contained in those materials?

So in your opinion, just because I have connection to a terrorist or alshababab who could be my mother or father it makes me a terrorist or an alshabaab member too? Shouldn't the state prove that I'm a member?

The same prevention of terrorism Act allows a person who is suspected to be a terrorist to be detained for 90 days without bail upon application by the state or police to the court.From your above argument, I take it that you want the law to be amended for people to be detained or jailed based on accusations and allegations.In Judiciary world over, for a conviction to take place the prosecutor or jury should prove beyond reasonable doubt that I'm guilty or innocent.The judiciary is there to serve JUSTICE which is supposed to be Just, fair, rational and based on law otherwise we do not need the courts

@Swenani, quoting clauses alone doesn't help. The judges and lawyers interpret every word and its meaning as stated on the law. So if a clause is vague, its works against the prosecutor, that's why sometimes the Jury system works better. But all in all. We in Kenya have no laws that work in favor of the common man. esp on terror.....

@my broda sweny this mjamaa has tried to break it down for you in a longuage you can understand unlike your copy pasting antics we had seen earlier(and someone here labelled it "a flash geniousness" ) you can now understand the reasons behind extra juducial murders that take place here. Our law enforcers hands are tied by this ojinga law and constitution that i was duped to vote for it.
I hope okoa kenya should also push for the jury system in our courts. I dont know of its demerits but me thinks its far much better than what we have today.
Politics is just things to keep the people divided and foolish and put your trust in men and none of them can do nothing for you...
murchr
#69 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 7:01:16 AM

Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:
Swenani wrote:
murchr wrote:

Sections from penal code

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Lets discuss intent.

Intention and motive

(2)

(3)

Quote:
(a) which—

Quote:

In a pre-trial hearing, you dont need to translate the material provided if the judge doesnt understand the language. The material in translated during the hearing, as he has stated. Now the judge in my opinion should not have issued bail given that he dint know what was contained in the texts he was holding.

When the law is vague, it almost always plays in favor of the defense.
nakujua
#70 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 11:45:39 AM

interesting - lakini mimi I pity the kenyan prosecutors, they are supposed to accomplish what even the americans wameshindwa.