wazua Fri, Apr 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<3132333435>»
Matatu Business
S.Mutaga III
#641 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:53:38 AM

jerry wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Kindly advise a bro here, those who are veterans in the matatu business. I have been toying with the idea of owning a matatu because i hear that the returns are good. However, I am short on cash and I dont want a bank loan to purchase one. I also want to invest cheaply in order to get the basics and then perhaps after learning all the basics, I can purchase a new one. Here is my strategy, and please note I have zero experience in the industry so please correct where I am wrong. I am thinking of buying a used shark, (KB..something) at Ksh 400,000. Then buy a new engine and repairs that will cost me a total of Ksh 300,000. My total expenses should be around Ksh 800,000 including insurance, sacco fees etc. Is my idea reasonable? Isnt it wiser to buy a matatu very cheaply and have a brand new engine installed than buying one at Ksh 1,000,000 and still gamble that it has engine problems? Lastly and most importantly, I plan on using it for long distance transport Nairobi-Nakuru or Nairobi-Nyeri. For those who have 14 seaters on those routes, what should I expect in my bank account at the end of every month after deducting all expenses? Thanks in advance

Like in shares it's better to buy a good stock at a fair price than buying a fair stock at a good price! At 1.1-1.2 you can get a good KBK ..or KBL.

What about the returns? Average per day or per month after all expenses?
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
matatuman
#642 Posted : Friday, May 22, 2015 7:39:40 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
jerry wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Kindly advise a bro here, those who are veterans in the matatu business. I have been toying with the idea of owning a matatu because i hear that the returns are good. However, I am short on cash and I dont want a bank loan to purchase one. I also want to invest cheaply in order to get the basics and then perhaps after learning all the basics, I can purchase a new one. Here is my strategy, and please note I have zero experience in the industry so please correct where I am wrong. I am thinking of buying a used shark, (KB..something) at Ksh 400,000. Then buy a new engine and repairs that will cost me a total of Ksh 300,000. My total expenses should be around Ksh 800,000 including insurance, sacco fees etc. Is my idea reasonable? Isnt it wiser to buy a matatu very cheaply and have a brand new engine installed than buying one at Ksh 1,000,000 and still gamble that it has engine problems? Lastly and most importantly, I plan on using it for long distance transport Nairobi-Nakuru or Nairobi-Nyeri. For those who have 14 seaters on those routes, what should I expect in my bank account at the end of every month after deducting all expenses? Thanks in advance

Like in shares it's better to buy a good stock at a fair price than buying a fair stock at a good price! At 1.1-1.2 you can get a good KBK ..or KBL.

Please do your research first before asking for advice. All those questions you have asked have been answered on this thread previously. Do not want to burst your bubble but hakuna Shark KB... ya 400k unless it is dead or dying. Even KAXs in roadworthy condition are fetching upwards of 800k. Last i checked, 300k is just about enough to get you a 5L engine - that is assuming you are buying a complete unit not overhauling. Your choice of route pia itakuwa noma with an old vehicle. How do you plan to compete?
S.Mutaga III
#643 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 1:17:10 AM

matatuman wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
jerry wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Please do your research first before asking for advice. All those questions you have asked have been answered on this thread previously. Do not want to burst your bubble but hakuna Shark KB... ya 400k unless it is dead or dying. Even KAXs in roadworthy condition are fetching upwards of 800k. Last i checked, 300k is just about enough to get you a 5L engine - that is assuming you are buying a complete unit not overhauling. Your choice of route pia itakuwa noma with an old vehicle. How do you plan to compete?

Okay...I have gone through the thread but the bit regarding earnings is still unclear. Times change and I cant use last year's estimates today. Kindly be generous with information
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
matatuman
#644 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 12:11:54 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
matatuman wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
jerry wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Okay...I have gone through the thread but the bit regarding earnings is still unclear. Times change and I cant use last year's estimates today. Kindly be generous with information

That is like asking how much are doctors paid. Do you have an idea? I do not. Wachana na hesabu kwa excel and do some homework. Earnings depend on alot.
1. Your route dynamics - On a route like Nairobi - Eldoret, if your vehicle is say under North Rift, there are days you can do two return trips i.e one from their terminus in nairobi and one from eldoret all full capacity. There are days you will not get a slot on either end. So it ends up boiling down to how creative your driver is. There are routes where vehicles work on targets.
2. Your vehicle - You might have a vehicle that takes 1 shilling for every shilling it makes i.e maintenance.
3. Your crew - You could end up with a driver/conductor who are either downright lazy or believe it is their turn to eat. Or you could end up with a crew that have a high affinity for breaking the law.
In short what i am telling is no route gives the same income as another. You need to get on the ground not on the net and understand the dynamics of your chosen route. For example, i have seen very old non roadworthy vans on the Bomas - Karen route make far much more than i make with a new vehicle. In simpler terms, whats the average gross earning per trip, how much does your chosen vehicle consumer per trip, how many trips does a vehicle make on the chosen route per day, how much does your crew earn per day. Income minus expenses should sort you out. Kazi kwako.
Just remember one thing. The SACCO will never manage the vehicle for you, they can only supplement you. That will save you alot of headache.

On a different note, is the "hedge fund" now investing in matatu?
S.Mutaga III
#645 Posted : Sunday, May 24, 2015 6:48:25 PM

matatuman wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
matatuman wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
jerry wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

That is like asking how much are doctors paid. Do you have an idea? I do not. Wachana na hesabu kwa excel and do some homework. Earnings depend on alot.
1. Your route dynamics - On a route like Nairobi - Eldoret, if your vehicle is say under North Rift, there are days you can do two return trips i.e one from their terminus in nairobi and one from eldoret all full capacity. There are days you will not get a slot on either end. So it ends up boiling down to how creative your driver is. There are routes where vehicles work on targets.
2. Your vehicle - You might have a vehicle that takes 1 shilling for every shilling it makes i.e maintenance.
3. Your crew - You could end up with a driver/conductor who are either downright lazy or believe it is their turn to eat. Or you could end up with a crew that have a high affinity for breaking the law.
In short what i am telling is no route gives the same income as another. You need to get on the ground not on the net and understand the dynamics of your chosen route. For example, i have seen very old non roadworthy vans on the Bomas - Karen route make far much more than i make with a new vehicle. In simpler terms, whats the average gross earning per trip, how much does your chosen vehicle consumer per trip, how many trips does a vehicle make on the chosen route per day, how much does your crew earn per day. Income minus expenses should sort you out. Kazi kwako.
Just remember one thing. The SACCO will never manage the vehicle for you, they can only supplement you. That will save you alot of headache.

On a different note, is the "hedge fund" now investing in matatu?

It was just an idea...some guys met, I think, but I certainly wasnt one of them. I dont know whether they implemented the idea
S.Mutaga III
#646 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 11:13:35 AM

Okay then. I know its a wrong time to ask about matatu prices especially when the dollar has rallied that much against the shilling, but I am just going to ask anyway. What if I wanted to buy a new (box) Hiace, I dont mind about the nitty gritties regarding it such as litres and mileage as long as its 'new' either from dealer or from Japan. Which is the cheapest process to get a new and cheap one and make it fully compliant? What are the total estimated costs? Can I hack it with 1.8 million to the stage where the only thing remaining is joining a sacco?
Option 1:- I saw some dealers selling the vehicles at around 1 million, before duty and one pays the duty themselves.
Option 2:- Buy directly from a dealer
Option 3:- Import the vehicle
Prime
#647 Posted : Friday, May 29, 2015 8:06:16 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Okay then. I know its a wrong time to ask about matatu prices especially when the dollar has rallied that much against the shilling, but I am just going to ask anyway. What if I wanted to buy a new (box) Hiace, I dont mind about the nitty gritties regarding it such as litres and mileage as long as its 'new' either from dealer or from Japan. Which is the cheapest process to get a new and cheap one and make it fully compliant? What are the total estimated costs? Can I hack it with 1.8 million to the stage where the only thing remaining is joining a sacco?
Option 1:- I saw some dealers selling the vehicles at around 1 million, before duty and one pays the duty themselves.
Option 2:- Buy directly from a dealer
Option 3:- Import the vehicle

Hi Mutaga, I think the estimated costs have been covered here earlier. Just prepare to spend around 100-150k to get the vehicle on the road. A quick summary...
Seats-around 40k (If shuttle around 45k,and if bought from megh cushions with arm rests and inliners budget 150k)
Paint - depends on saccos rules. if whole vehicle will be repainted tafuta around 30-35k
Cashless system 10k,
Windows - around 8-10k per window,
Speed governor-around 20-25,
Tracking system 15-20k
if 14 seater ongeza springs,
insurance third party- around 7800 (14 seater)
Tlb associated costs- inspection , tlb acquisition, -budget kama 20-30k
Tyres - 8k per trye,
Ngoma... kurembesha... tuseme tu owner preference.

Kindly refer to a list i posted a while ago. Prices havent changed much

As for 1.8M... hiyo can only get you a fully compliant petrol engine... auto of course. If low on cash try getting a panel van or freezer van and converting. May save you a few shillings, esp if after the coveted manual trans

S.Mutaga III
#648 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 3:35:39 PM

I dont have an 8-5 job...and I have lots of free time to monitor the vehicle and do the repairs in case of anything. Assuming I got a new 14 seater box and put it in a reputable sacco such as Nuclear, can I be assured of KSh 100k-150k every month after all expenses? This is assuming that I buy the matatu(brand new) in cash (zero loan).
Rankaz13
#649 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:16:31 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
I dont have an 8-5 job...and I have lots of free time to monitor the vehicle and do the repairs in case of anything. Assuming I got a new 14 seater box and put it in a reputable sacco such as Nuclear, can I be assured of KSh 100k-150k every month after all expenses? This is assuming that I buy the matatu(brand new) in cash (zero loan).

Only a person in that sacco can answer that but just in case they don't. do what I did prior to my commencement and still do today once in a while: board a vehicle plying the route you're interested in and make sure you get a strategic seat next to the driver. Engage him/her in conversation for the duration of the journey and seek to obtain some of these details for the duration of the journey. If you're lucky to get an owner-driver, even better. Repeat the same on your way back. That's how I did it. Don't be in a hurry to get in without first hand answers to some of these queries.

That said, please know that a lot depends on your driver's effort as well as factors over which you may have no control and that's why no one is likely to give you definite figures as guaranteed income.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
S.Mutaga III
#650 Posted : Saturday, May 30, 2015 4:34:55 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Only a person in that sacco can answer that but just in case they don't. do what I did prior to my commencement and still do today once in a while: board a vehicle plying the route you're interested in and make sure you get a strategic seat next to the driver. Engage him/her in conversation for the duration of the journey and seek to obtain some of these details for the duration of the journey. If you're lucky to get an owner-driver, even better. Repeat the same on your way back. That's how I did it. Don't be in a hurry to get in without first hand answers to some of these queries.

That said, please know that a lot depends on your driver's effort as well as factors over which you may have no control and that's why no one is likely to give you definite figures as guaranteed income.

In December I sat next to a driver in the sacco on my way to Nairobi from Nyahururu, and he told me that the owner pockets around 140k per month after all expenses. I asked about the dry months and he told me that in December, the owner pockets above 150k, while in dry months he pockets around 90k-100k after all expenses. The matatu was a shark...KB something...of course, maybe he was lying and I will have to confirm that from another driver along the same route
Prime
#651 Posted : Monday, June 01, 2015 1:33:16 PM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

In December I sat next to a driver in the sacco on my way to Nairobi from Nyahururu, and he told me that the owner pockets around 140k per month after all expenses. I asked about the dry months and he told me that in December, the owner pockets above 150k, while in dry months he pockets around 90k-100k after all expenses. The matatu was a shark...KB something...of course, maybe he was lying and I will have to confirm that from another driver along the same route

Over time i have noted that drivers just have one perspective of the earnings. They assume that the money they bring at the end of the day is the net income. They never factor in issues like maintenance, service, by-laws, insurance, brakepads and linings etc. And many a driver dont even know the cost of keeping the vehicle on the road. I happen to have talked to a driver who had bought his own matatu and he told me that there is such a big difference between being a driver and an owner. To a driver the cash he brings at the end of the day is what the matatu has earned... to an owner... theres a bigger picture. I would put the figures at around 20-30k less than what the drivers told you. A vehicle inalalisha 5k per daywould be 150k per month. ukitoa expenses the max you will get is 120k. Assuming nothing major will need repairs... and that the vehicle is on the road everyday... Mimi nikipata 100 net im very happy.
S.Mutaga III
#652 Posted : Monday, June 01, 2015 1:45:25 PM

Prime wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Over time i have noted that drivers just have one perspective of the earnings. They assume that the money they bring at the end of the day is the net income. They never factor in issues like maintenance, service, by-laws, insurance, brakepads and linings etc. And many a driver dont even know the cost of keeping the vehicle on the road. I happen to have talked to a driver who had bought his own matatu and he told me that there is such a big difference between being a driver and an owner. To a driver the cash he brings at the end of the day is what the matatu has earned... to an owner... theres a bigger picture. I would put the figures at around 20-30k less than what the drivers told you. A vehicle inalalisha 5k per daywould be 150k per month. ukitoa expenses the max you will get is 120k. Assuming nothing major will need repairs... and that the vehicle is on the road everyday... Mimi nikipata 100 net im very happy.

Thank you sir. There is a likely information assymetry there between the driver and the owner....same case you cant ask a bank teller to tell you whether to buy Equity shares because they cant see the big picture. Thank you
Rankaz13
#653 Posted : Monday, June 01, 2015 4:59:02 PM

Prime wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:
Rankaz13 wrote:
S.Mutaga III wrote:

Very true. Interviewing drivers is just but one side of the story. Personally, I went further: shopped for a good mechanic and garage about 6 months before I got my first unit. I visited the place often and impromptu, observed them as they worked and also got to ask them of charges for various services they offered e.g. panting, seats fabrication, brakes adjustment, etc. I also walked into insurance companies offices to enquire on charges for the various insurance products for matatus; those that were far away I'd take their contacts and call. Further, I explored the pros and cons of various financing options open to me, including going to different banks to learn more about their terms of asset finance (most are unwilling to fund start-ups by the way). Then I'd also began to scout for a suitable route (don't research on only one, I researched on about 5 before I settled on one) as well as finding out the intricacies of driver and conductor salaries, mungiki (they were a reality at the time), local authority and KRA payments, etc.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
kendata26
#654 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 6:29:48 AM

kendata26 wrote:
jerry wrote:

On management of SACCOs each is alloted their indepedent space(shimo) by the county gov. Mwingine ashangie ya company.

Thanks! Time to pull the trigger.

Trigger pulled!!

2008, Petrol box, automatic. Working through pre-shipment papers (including payment), de-registration, inspection etc...

jerry
#655 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 6:54:25 AM

kendata26 wrote:
kendata26 wrote:
jerry wrote:

On management of SACCOs each is alloted their indepedent space(shimo) by the county gov. Mwingine ashangie ya company.

Trigger pulled!!

2008, Petrol box, automatic. Working through pre-shipment papers (including payment), de-registration, inspection etc...

GO! GO! GO!
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
kendata26
#656 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 7:25:32 PM

jerry wrote:
kendata26 wrote:
kendata26 wrote:
jerry wrote:

Trigger pulled!!

GO! GO! GO!

smile Thanks.
Rankaz13
#657 Posted : Tuesday, June 02, 2015 10:51:12 PM

jerry wrote:
kendata26 wrote:
kendata26 wrote:
jerry wrote:

Trigger pulled!!

GO! GO! GO!

Good progress!Applause
Prime
#658 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 10:19:49 PM

Make sure it is a good month unit i.e month of first registration should be between jan and the month the unit will arrive... otherwise kra will have you for dinner. Congratulations bro.
Prime
#659 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 10:21:15 PM

if the month is slightly bad just ask them to delay the shipment such that it will arrive when the month is good
subaru
#660 Posted : Tuesday, October 06, 2015 7:50:35 PM

of late i have seen JMC mats 25 seater competing with the known players any info about its price and durability