wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<3031323334>»
Matatu Business
mlennyma
#621 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:49:12 PM

I have seen nissan caravans holding so well KBM's upto date are in good condition, its not a must toyotas for me,avoid sheep mentality
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Rankaz13
#622 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 7:33:02 PM

mlennyma wrote:
I have seen nissan caravans holding so well KBM's upto date are in good condition, its not a must toyotas for me,avoid sheep mentality

On which route?
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#623 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 9:08:40 PM

mlennyma wrote:

KBM ni gari mpya boss. I still have a KBK hiace thats never been overhauled, odometer reads 700k plus. Show me a Caravan KBA - KBF that can pull a route like Meru - Nairobi or Nakuru - Nairobi daily and has been a matatu since registration. Sheep mentality actually works and consumes less while at it.

Read about the new Caravan, NV350 and see why Nissan had to launch it aside from the space issues of older Caravan models.
jaggernaut
#624 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:13:59 PM

I see many nissan caravan tour vehicles. If they can deal with the rough roads in our national parks then I don't see why they can't handle short tarmac distances of 150km, 250km etc at 80km/h.
mlennyma
#625 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:15:52 PM

matatuman wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

KBM ni gari mpya boss. I still have a KBK hiace thats never been overhauled, odometer reads 700k plus. Show me a Caravan KBA - KBF that can pull a route like Meru - Nairobi or Nakuru - Nairobi daily and has been a matatu since registration. Sheep mentality actually works and consumes less while at it.

Read about the new Caravan, NV350 and see why Nissan had to launch it aside from the space issues of older Caravan models.

I have respect for advice, this could see me cancel an order
mlennyma
#626 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:17:30 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

On which route?

kajiado
mlennyma
#627 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:21:53 PM

This toyotas are coming having covered over 200kms abroad and still very expensive
matatuman
#628 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:28:17 PM

mlennyma wrote:
This toyotas are coming having covered over 200kms abroad and still very expensive

The Caravans have covered the same 200K and still very cheap. Why?
matatuman
#629 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:31:54 PM

mlennyma wrote:
matatuman wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

I have respect for advice, this could see me cancel an order

On our route, there is a guy who used to have them operating under the name "Junior Mafia", last i checked they ply the Nairobi - Banana route. Not sure why he moved them, maybe he relocated. Maybe Caravans are good for town? I don't know... Seen several on the Kisumu route under Western Prestige Shuttle but never seen one that has aged gracefully.

All in all, i still believe the cheapest tool is always the best for the job, all factors held constant. Talk to someone who has owned a Caravan and hear what they have to say before you cancel your order.
mlennyma
#630 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 10:40:58 PM

I think a caravan is for somebody struggling, toyota hiace is what every able person would want to own
subaru
#631 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 7:56:49 AM

mlennyma wrote:
I think a caravan is for somebody struggling, toyota hiace is what every able person would want to own

if u have 1m u can get one old toyota or three old nissans now tell me fanya hesabu which models will bring u money
Rankaz13
#632 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:35:01 AM

IMO, Caravans do well on short distances like town service (who recalls the route 44 before the moratorium on licensing low-capacity vehicles?) perhaps of up to around 40 - 50kms or on routes that aren't hilly. I've used them for quite a while on Msa - Wundanyi route and they seemed to fare alright. Only a short part of this route is hilly (from Mwatate to Wundanyi).
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
matatuman
#633 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 9:16:32 PM

Question for the guys operating buses. Which is better between, Isuzu NQR and Hino 300? Been looking at the technical specs on paper and the Hino appears to win hands down. Has better torque at low rpms ie 353Nm at 2500rpm compared to the NQR's 285Nm at 3200rpm, smaller displacement also at 4009cc compared to 4334cc for the NQR so Hino probably consumes less.

Next is choice of body, Choda seem to have fancy looking bodies but on closer inspection it appears to be more filler less creativity. I am also concerned about the weight of those bodies. I suspect most of those buses having Choda bodies are chewing tyres way too fast.

Kimiri saidia hapa...
Chaka
#634 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 9:41:55 PM

Has hino been in this market long enough for it to be evaluated?
ole3
#635 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 9:45:32 PM

Chaka wrote:

getting stronger, see more hinos than tata/ small n mid size trucks
matatuman
#636 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 9:56:02 PM

Chaka wrote:

It is the best selling light/medium truck brand in Australia and North America. Outsells Isuzu and famed for its "strength and durability". Does that count?
Chaka
#637 Posted : Thursday, May 07, 2015 10:13:45 PM

matatuman wrote:
Chaka wrote:

It is the best selling light/medium truck brand in Australia and North America. Outsells Isuzu and famed for its "strength and durability". Does that count?

Maybe in those markets,it is for cargo(as opposed to very rough start/stop passenger use)?I would be curious to know how their breaking systems and gearboxes fare after a few years..
Coolio
#638 Posted : Tuesday, May 12, 2015 7:16:40 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
IMO, Caravans do well on short distances like town service (who recalls the route 44 before the moratorium on licensing low-capacity vehicles?) perhaps of up to around 40 - 50kms or on routes that aren't hilly. I've used them for quite a while on Msa - Wundanyi route and they seemed to fare alright. Only a short part of this route is hilly (from Mwatate to Wundanyi).

Pollmans use caravans!
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
S.Mutaga III
#639 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:09:44 AM

Kindly advise a bro here, those who are veterans in the matatu business. I have been toying with the idea of owning a matatu because i hear that the returns are good. However, I am short on cash and I dont want a bank loan to purchase one. I also want to invest cheaply in order to get the basics and then perhaps after learning all the basics, I can purchase a new one. Here is my strategy, and please note I have zero experience in the industry so please correct where I am wrong. I am thinking of buying a used shark, (KB..something) at Ksh 400,000. Then buy a new engine and repairs that will cost me a total of Ksh 300,000. My total expenses should be around Ksh 800,000 including insurance, sacco fees etc. Is my idea reasonable? Isnt it wiser to buy a matatu very cheaply and have a brand new engine installed than buying one at Ksh 1,000,000 and still gamble that it has engine problems? Lastly and most importantly, I plan on using it for long distance transport Nairobi-Nakuru or Nairobi-Nyeri. For those who have 14 seaters on those routes, what should I expect in my bank account at the end of every month after deducting all expenses? With such a strategy, coupled with strict controls, can I hit Ksh 100,000 per month after deducting all expenses? If not, what amount am I most likely to earn on a normal month e.g May. Thanks in advance
A successful man is not he who gets the best, it is he who makes the best from what he gets.
jerry
#640 Posted : Thursday, May 21, 2015 11:30:01 AM

S.Mutaga III wrote:
Kindly advise a bro here, those who are veterans in the matatu business. I have been toying with the idea of owning a matatu because i hear that the returns are good. However, I am short on cash and I dont want a bank loan to purchase one. I also want to invest cheaply in order to get the basics and then perhaps after learning all the basics, I can purchase a new one. Here is my strategy, and please note I have zero experience in the industry so please correct where I am wrong. I am thinking of buying a used shark, (KB..something) at Ksh 400,000. Then buy a new engine and repairs that will cost me a total of Ksh 300,000. My total expenses should be around Ksh 800,000 including insurance, sacco fees etc. Is my idea reasonable? Isnt it wiser to buy a matatu very cheaply and have a brand new engine installed than buying one at Ksh 1,000,000 and still gamble that it has engine problems? Lastly and most importantly, I plan on using it for long distance transport Nairobi-Nakuru or Nairobi-Nyeri. For those who have 14 seaters on those routes, what should I expect in my bank account at the end of every month after deducting all expenses? Thanks in advance

Like in shares it's better to buy a good stock at a fair price than buying a fair stock at a good price! At 1.1-1.2 you can get a good KBK ..or KBL.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.