Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<345
Whatsapp Calling Service
chris79
#81 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 2:45:32 PM

nakujua wrote:
chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
@chris79 - If you talk to me for a minute, it will consume only 0.3 MB of your data. That is 30 cents on a relatively expensive data bundle. How cheap do you think people are? 30 cents!!!

Are we talking about the Kenya who keep sending each other pictures and videos on WhatsApp that gobble MBs at a much much higher rate???

And that exactly is my point. People send these pictures and videos because they CHOOSE to and because they have sufficient bundles to do so. Recieving a whatsapp call takes away the control you have over how your bundles are consumed. The.0.3 MB might sound insignificant to you but that's for only one call. If you make several calls in a day the cost might equal or even surpass the cost of a normal call.

But receiving the images, videos and text also consume data.

You can actually choose whether or not to download the video or image. Receiving a text is virtually free of charge.
nakujua
#82 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 4:40:24 PM

chris79 wrote:
nakujua wrote:
chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
@chris79 - If you talk to me for a minute, it will consume only 0.3 MB of your data. That is 30 cents on a relatively expensive data bundle. How cheap do you think people are? 30 cents!!!

Are we talking about the Kenya who keep sending each other pictures and videos on WhatsApp that gobble MBs at a much much higher rate???

And that exactly is my point. People send these pictures and videos because they CHOOSE to and because they have sufficient bundles to do so. Recieving a whatsapp call takes away the control you have over how your bundles are consumed. The.0.3 MB might sound insignificant to you but that's for only one call. If you make several calls in a day the cost might equal or even surpass the cost of a normal call.

But receiving the images, videos and text also consume data.

You can actually choose whether or not to download the video or image. Receiving a text is virtually free of charge.

One can also choose to receive or reject a call - the issue was that people will not want to be charged to receive calls, but we have people who have no issue being charged to receive content images, videos and text.

Receiving texts is not virtually free of charge - its very cheap, you can see what lower data costs can do.
washiku
#83 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 9:37:38 PM

MaichBlack
#84 Posted : Saturday, April 04, 2015 8:00:43 AM

Link: Big Deal!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
lekamu
#85 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2015 11:50:43 AM

MaichBlack wrote:

Some comparison
Only Fools Have No Plan B
PeterReborn
#86 Posted : Tuesday, April 07, 2015 4:58:44 PM

washiku wrote:
Am loving it for International callssmile

smile smile Sasa Viber na skype kwisha especially for the international calls.
Consistency is better than intensity
derick
#87 Posted : Friday, April 10, 2015 4:29:21 PM

PeterReborn wrote:
washiku wrote:

Voice clarity is poor on international calls.
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
MaichBlack
#88 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 7:43:11 AM

I told people here that WhatsApp calling will eat into the revenue of mobile service providers and some people insisted that somehow it was not going to happen!

Well, well, it is already happening!! The service providers say so! The numbers say so. Things are so thick that this was one of the things discussed at the International Telecommunication Union Global Symposium for Regulators. The providers are asking for protection from regulators!

WhatsApp Calling Eats Into Mobile Providers Revenue
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
butterflyke
#89 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:17:14 PM

derick wrote:
PeterReborn wrote:
washiku wrote:

Voice clarity is poor on international calls.

Also depends on where you are calling/receiving a call from
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
chris79
#90 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:51:25 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
I told people here that WhatsApp calling will eat into the revenue of mobile service providers and some people insisted that somehow it was not going to happen!

Well, well, it is already happening!! The service providers say so! The numbers say so. Things are so thick that this was one of the things discussed at the International Telecommunication Union Global Symposium for Regulators. The providers are asking for protection from regulators!

I think this is more to do with the poor strategy employed by Airtel. You can't offer freebies and expect to make money.
nakujua
#91 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:07:47 PM

chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

I think this is more to do with the poor strategy employed by Airtel. You can't offer freebies and expect to make money.

I don't think they are referring to their kenyan market, hiyo they gave up kitambo - but they are way bigger especially when you consider their african operations and so them commenting on that shows that they have noticed a trend especially across africa, which if true should worry other telcos especially in africa.
murchr
#92 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 4:08:17 PM

chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Airtel will blame everyone for not making money
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
MaichBlack
#93 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 9:51:36 PM

chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

The issue is not making money. It is the fact that the MINUTES have reduced. Now, if you are giving freebies and the minutes are reducing, it shows that matters are much more worse!!!
Thiong'o
#94 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 3:51:15 PM

watesh wrote:
McReggae wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

if viber hasn't picked, i don't foresee this one picking too.

Have you tried to make a call on Viber? Now try WhatsApp.

And people are already on WhatsApp. No installation, configuration, marketing etc. required.

I am a Safaricom shareholder. I am also a realist. No emotions or unfounded hope! Voice income will take a hit! Safcom have known this for years. Hopefully their other income streams will cushion the company.

I've heard of viber before, never used it

But with whatsapp launching call service, and most guys are already on it, I see a challenge for telcos

They may not die as @nakujua was suggesting in another thread. But the good times might come to an end

It will happens gradually, of course pegged on data availability.

Give the dumb phones 5 years and finding one will be like trying to get the nokia 3310 now.

The thing that might pull more people into services like whatsup is the multiple channels available, voice, text, sending images, sending videos and of course it will not be pegged to a single telco.

Even our mp's are using it ...

I agree, with time this will be a game changer, for a starter next time I go home I will carry at least 10 cheap android phones with the whatsapp functionality for my folks!!!!!

Voice revenue still covers 60% and smartphone devices are over 5 million, thats close to 20% of subscribers. If each gets fast internet service then the whatsapp call functionality will be clear. Voice revenue will take a hit just like whatsapp did for SMS. Data will grow but may not bring as much revenue as voice calls

Why telcos want Facebook and WhatsApp regulated

are threatening to wipe out their main source of revenue.
Ministry of ICT and the regulator, Communications Authority of Kenya (CA), say they are weighing options on how to reign in the revenue loss by the companies and the taxman.
OTT players avoid high licence fees paid locally, giving them unfair advantage.
Globally, network companies say Skype, Viber, WhatsApp, Chat On, Snapchat, Instagram, Kik, Google and Talk generate huge amounts of traffic but do not compensate them for using their infrastructure.
http://www.nation.co.ke/.../-/d16birz/-/index.html

obiero
#95 Posted : Monday, June 22, 2015 8:20:36 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

The issue is not making money. It is the fact that the MINUTES have reduced. Now, if you are giving freebies and the minutes are reducing, it shows that matters are much more worse!!!

HF 30,000 ABP 3.49; KQ 414,100 ABP 7.92; MTN 23,800 ABP 6.45
Lolest!
#96 Posted : Thursday, July 02, 2015 3:20:10 PM

Quote:
Facebook plans to set up an office in Kenya to tap into mobile money success in East Africa, increasing threats to wipe out the main source of revenue for telecommunications firms.

The social media giant set up shop in South Africa on June 29 and has listed Kenya and Nigeria as its anchor countries to grow business. Its regional interest comes when telcos have raised fears of the rise in voice-call platforms such as Facebook Messenger, Viber and WhatsApp.

“Facebook will partner with governments, telecom operators, agencies and other stakeholders to deliver localised solutions to advertisers and users continent-wide.

"It will continue to focus on tailoring solutions, metrics and ad formats to the needs of customers and advertisers in the mobile-first, mobile-only African environment,” said Ari Kesisoglu, the regional director for the Middle East and Africa at Facebook.

http://www.nation.co.ke/...40/-/wjpsug/-/index.html
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray