wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages«<2345>
Whatsapp Calling Service
shocks
#61 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 9:37:54 AM

This is what will happen, safaricom will make the quality bad by throttling internet connection speed whenever they see incoming VOIP traffic on a subscribers smart phone. its been done by other telcos, only guys using isp who don't depend on voice will enjoy this
Kihara joni
#62 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:05:23 AM

This guy has a point on if the service is any cheaper than GSM since both parties will be paying for the data, and if one parties data runs out the call disconnects, if one parties data runs out and they have credit then they use off plan data which is more expensive so you find whatsapp can be expensive in some cases
Rink---http://tommakau.com/2015/04/01/what-whatsapp-voice-means-for-mnos/
nakujua
#63 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:23:34 AM

it will only get interesting when aki na orange and airtel launch their 4g networks, in 10 years data will be plentiful then we will see the effects of aki na whatsup and those other communication apps young people are fond of using.

But one has to keep in mind that the data business is not the same as the voice and sms business, so the telcos that will position themselves for that will win - but at the end of the day data is not as profitable as voice, mostly because a good number of those with disposable income to spend on communication have other avenues of accessing data.
radio
#64 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:28:02 AM

shocks wrote:
This is what will happen, safaricom will make the quality bad by throttling internet connection speed whenever they see incoming VOIP traffic on a subscribers smart phone. its been done by other telcos, only guys using isp who don't depend on voice will enjoy this

This will be counter productive. No need fighting an idea whose time has come. If I was a telco, I would come up with enticing data plans. Remember who banks tried to frustrate MPesa when it started? Who is laughing now?
MaichBlack
#65 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:04:57 AM

shocks wrote:

My friend!!! Have you been in Kenya? There is a new Sheriff in town! Let the dare even thinking about that! Watajua malenge ni mboga!! Na maharagwe ni kitoweo na pia ni mbegu!!!

Visit this link and see vile siku hizi kunaendaga!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Kihara joni
#66 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:06:20 AM

http://tommakau.com/2015...p-voice-means-for-mnos/
Read this before you decide if it's cheaper or expensive.
sl8r
#67 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 2:23:37 PM

Read the article above and its solution is for networks to go LTE so that the provider can benefit from whatsapp calls, BUT read this

https://gigaom.com/2012/...s-your-battery-that-is/

So how many of you carry around those portable power packs? :)
MaichBlack
#68 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 3:05:17 PM

Kihara joni wrote:
http://tommakau.com/2015/04/01/what-whatsapp-voice-means-for-mnos/

That story is flawed from the start. The fellow has used wrong data to "prove" a point. A three to four minute call (I have checked thrice!!!) consumes approx. 1 MB (on the higher side). A 7 minute call would therefore consume approx. 2 MB. This fellow uses 5 MB (More than double!) in his argument and totally skews everything.

How do you write a blog and you cannot even perform a simple experiment to collect primary data. You can even borrow a phone, check the bundles, make a call then check the call duration and bundles again. End of experiment!! The whole story is based on bundles and cost and the fellow cannot collect the easiest data ever to collect. Lazy character!!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
chris79
#69 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 3:33:11 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:
http://tommakau.com/2015/04/01/what-whatsapp-voice-means-for-mnos/

That story is flawed from the start. The fellow has used wrong data to "prove" a point. A three to four minute call (I have checked thrice!!!) consumes approx. 1 MB (on the higher side). A 7 minute call would therefore consume approx. 2 MB. This fellow uses 5 MB (More than double!) in his argument and totally skews everything.

How do you write a blog and you cannot even perform a simple experiment to collect primary data. You can even borrow a phone, check the bundles, make a call then check the call duration and bundles again. End of experiment!! The whole story is based on bundles and cost and the fellow cannot collect the easiest data ever to collect. Lazy character!!!!

But I think he has a point. Many people will be hesitant to receive calls from Whatsapp if they know they are going to be charged for receiving. Somebody might have planned to do something else with that 1MB-2MB of data rather than receiving calls. This thing will not fly I tell you
MaichBlack
#70 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 5:51:36 PM

@chris79 - If you talk to me for a minute, it will consume only 0.3 MB of your data. That is 30 cents on a relatively expensive data bundle. How cheap do you think people are? 30 cents!!!

Are we talking about the Kenya who keep sending each other pictures and videos on WhatsApp that gobble MBs at a much much higher rate???
murchr
#71 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 6:08:16 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
@chris79 - If you talk to me for a minute, it will consume only 0.3 MB of your data. That is 30 cents on a relatively expensive data bundle. How cheap do you think people are? 30 cents!!!

Are we talking about the Kenya who keep sending each other pictures and videos on WhatsApp that gobble MBs at a much much higher rate???

Maich no one will want to pay to RECEIVE a call, unless its your significant other. In the event the receiver has no bundles and is not connected to WIFI what happens?
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Nimerudi
#72 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:03:43 PM

Money Whisperer wrote:
Skype is so elitist and doesn't seem bothered to reach out to the mass market especially phone market. the phone app is treated like an afterthought targetting those who use it on comps. they failed to capture the moment sasa whatsapp will show them dust. hata akina blackberry were once on top of the foodchain

Skype happens to be more focused on International calls. Unless you consume such services I don't think you'll find their product targeted towards you. Perhaps this is attenuated by its lack of traction in developing markets such as Kenya. I think they are trying to reach the same audience as WhatsApp via their 'Qik Messenger' buyout. I hope that reframes your thoughts not the company. smile
nakujua
#73 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 10:37:19 PM

murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

Maich no one will want to pay to RECEIVE a call, unless its your significant other. In the event the receiver has no bundles and is not connected to WIFI what happens?

The same thing that happens when you try to call someone in an area without network coverage.
As @MaichBlack has stated individuals are already paying to receive texts.
Nimerudi
#74 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:13:58 PM

For the short-term I would not worry too much about WhatsApp eroding voice revenues for local carriers. I see this service as a Value addition for WhatsApp to differentiate itself from competitors as a one-size fits all tool. Perhaps something to get users excited about. On the local front, existing infrastructure and data costs shouldn't make the cellular market shift their habits immediately.
I base this on the following. One, a majority of Kenyans do not have smartphones. Two, data costs are pretty expensive for the larger smartphone using population. Most Kenyans primarily use Safaricom and their data would be pretty expensive for data calls. Maybe airtel users may adopt the service quicker. Three, this product is targeted at smartphone users. However, most handsets have limited battery life. Most users simply will not let their 3G or 4G settings remain on for the purposes of receiving a call, at cost, when the same can be achieved more efficiently through traditional means. Four, not everyone uses WhatsApp despite its widespread adoption here. Five, 3G coverage in the country.

With improved battery technology, carrier infrastructure and increased adoption, perhaps these points may be moot in future.

I'm open to criticism or thoughts on the same. smile
chris79
#75 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 11:14:36 PM

MaichBlack wrote:

And that exactly is my point. People send these pictures and videos because they CHOOSE to and because they have sufficient bundles to do so. Recieving a whatsapp call takes away the control you have over how your bundles are consumed. The.0.3 MB might sound insignificant to you but that's for only one call. If you make several calls in a day the cost might equal or even surpass the cost of a normal call.
derick
#76 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 12:24:26 AM

Kihara joni wrote:
This guy has a point on if the service is any cheaper than GSM since both parties will be paying for the data, and if one parties data runs out the call disconnects, if one parties data runs out and they have credit then they use off plan data which is more expensive so you find whatsapp can be expensive in some cases

This makes sense call charges are applied to both the caller and the receiver.in terms of mb's
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
Tokyo
#77 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 4:11:45 AM

It would be cheaper if major carriers have a fixed monthly charges for unlimited data.
work to prosper
ole3
#78 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 6:24:48 AM

Tokyo wrote:
It would be cheaper if major carriers have a fixed monthly charges for unlimited data.

fiber and telco guys should lower prices. fast unlimited internet way to go
Shame on you
butterflyke
#79 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 11:41:17 AM

derick wrote:
Kihara joni wrote:

This makes sense call charges are applied to both the caller and the receiver.in terms of mb's

This guy has a point. IMO though, Whatsapp calls make sense for international calls which would otherwise be expensive for both callers...much easier to use the Skype. Otherwise, voice calls will continue to.be relevant.

Fast and affordable unliminet internet the way to go. We need competition in thearket to bring down prices.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
nakujua
#80 Posted : Friday, April 03, 2015 1:48:10 PM

chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:

And that exactly is my point. People send these pictures and videos because they CHOOSE to and because they have sufficient bundles to do so. Recieving a whatsapp call takes away the control you have over how your bundles are consumed. The.0.3 MB might sound insignificant to you but that's for only one call. If you make several calls in a day the cost might equal or even surpass the cost of a normal call.

But receiving the images, videos and text also consume data.

Data prices and availability will definitely come down with time, I don't think voice prices will match the same.