Whatsapp Calling Service
ole3
#41 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:28:59 PM

Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

if viber hasn't picked, i don't foresee this one picking too.

Have you tried to make a call on Viber? Now try WhatsApp.

And people are already on WhatsApp. No installation, configuration, marketing etc. required.

I am a Safaricom shareholder. I am also a realist. No emotions or unfounded hope! Voice income will take a hit! Safcom have known this for years. Hopefully their other income streams will cushion the company.

I've heard of viber before, never used it

But with whatsapp launching call service, and most guys are already on it, I see a challenge for telcos

They may not die as @nakujua was suggesting in another thread. But the good times might come to an end

Have you heard of Skype video calls too? Have you u used it? How many of you are out there? Reminds me of the conversation about Equitel...

Yes

Skype is not whatsapp. Most guys with smartphones have whatsapp

d'oh!

skype is like whatsapp n' whatsapp is like skype

both are alike :d/
Lolest!
#42 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:38:16 PM

YoungMulla wrote:
WhatsApp calling cannot be compared to viber. The former has better market penetration and the brand is better recognized.

Personally,though, am not excited,am already getting free talk time from Airtel. However, safaricom's voice revenue will definitely take a hit. I expect all Telcoms to revise their call rates down in the next few weeks/months.

unliminet? You are on the 2k bundle?
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
murchr
#43 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:45:36 PM

ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

And people are already on WhatsApp. No installation, configuration, marketing etc. required.

I am a Safaricom shareholder. I am also a realist. No emotions or unfounded hope! Voice income will take a hit! Safcom have known this for years. Hopefully their other income streams will cushion the company.

But with whatsapp launching call service, and most guys are already on it, I see a challenge for telcos

They may not die as @nakujua was suggesting in another thread. But the good times might come to an end

Have you heard of Skype video calls too? Have you u used it? How many of you are out there? Reminds me of the conversation about Equitel...

Yes

d'oh!

I love Kenyans
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Lolest!
#44 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 5:30:26 PM

ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Yes

d'oh!

Penetration?? Whatsapp is so common that almost kila mtu with a smart phone uses it
murchr
#45 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 5:32:19 PM

Lolest! wrote:
ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Yes

d'oh!

Penetration?? Whatsapp is so common that almost kila mtu with a smart phone uses it

Even Skype is available for everyone with a smartphone
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
YoungMulla
#46 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 5:56:50 PM

Lolest! wrote:
YoungMulla wrote:
WhatsApp calling cannot be compared to viber. The former has better market penetration and the brand is better recognized.

Personally,though, am not excited,am already getting free talk time from Airtel. However, safaricom's voice revenue will definitely take a hit. I expect all Telcoms to revise their call rates down in the next few weeks/months.

unliminet? You are on the 2k bundle?

yes
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!
Lolest!
#47 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:02:55 PM

deleted
Lolest!
#48 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:08:09 PM

murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Yes

d'oh!

DO they use skype on phone? Penetration ya skype iko chini
murchr
#49 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:10:47 PM

Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Yes

d'oh!

Yes its there..you can video call and conference call. So this is not really a big deal, maybe for some wazuans
Impunity
#50 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 6:49:12 PM

murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
ole3 wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Yes

d'oh!

Yes its there..you can video call and conference call. So this is not really a big deal, maybe for some wazuans

Skype is too heavy for the upcoming wazua middle class!
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Lolest!
#51 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 9:20:18 PM

@murchr, wacha tutaona. But bear in mind the 2 products' penetration is incomparable. Just ciz you're a skype user doesn't mean kila mtu uses it.

Tried the service today in Nairobi CBD using safcom data. Pathetic. Very unclear and low volume even for the guy on the other side.

The bright side for telcos is that they get tocharge both the caller and recipient for data
murchr
#52 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 10:15:47 PM

Lolest! wrote:
@murchr, wacha tutaona. But bear in mind the 2 products' penetration is incomparable. Just ciz you're a skype user doesn't mean kila mtu uses it.

Tried the service today in Nairobi CBD using safcom data. Pathetic. Very unclear and low volume even for the guy on the other side.

The bright side for telcos is that they get tocharge both the caller and recipient for data

Why didnt you try it using Wifi?
nakujua
#53 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 10:39:43 PM

Lolest! wrote:

The biggest pull for whatsup is in its use of contacts, register and you literally have your phone book as it is, skype is mostly geared towards the business user, its very common especially when it comes to international calls and office use.

Bandwidth in kenya is still a challenge for now, and the services that depend on the same are not at their full potential.
Caramba
#54 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 1:11:32 AM

Tried it today and was pleasantly surprised by it's clarity. With my 1k monthly Unliminet for 2gb, I will be loading my safcom line with 5/= airtime quarterly as someone pointed out up there😊
Money Whisperer
#55 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 1:18:28 AM

Skype is so elitist and doesn't seem bothered to reach out to the mass market especially phone market. the phone app is treated like an afterthought targetting those who use it on comps. they failed to capture the moment sasa whatsapp will show them dust. hata akina blackberry were once on top of the foodchain
"Money never sleeps"
MaichBlack
#56 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 6:07:33 AM

Some things should be obvious but evidently they are not. The PENETRATION of WhatsApp is way ahead that of Viber and Skype.

Comparing WhatsApp to Viber and Skype is like comparing Google to DuckDuckGo, GigaBlast, Yandex etc. I am sure most Wazuans have never heard of DuckDuckGo, GigaBlast and Yandex. Guess what they are going to do. Google them! Just because something is AVAILABLE and is not being used doesn't mean other products offering the same services will face the same fate. There are very many factors that affect uptake.

Ever heard of cuil??? Probably not. It was a search engine started, run and managed by former senior Google employees. Guess what happened to them. The company died a natural death! Guess what has been happening to Google! Just because people totally ignored cuil it doesn't mean that Google is under the same risk.

Back to WhatsApp. It is prevalent among smart phone users. The company never marketed itself to them! Their friends, relatives etc introduced them to the App or they themselves looked for this info. The App is that popular! Second. Simplicity. A simple call icon at the top and that's it! Contacts tab at the top. All your contacts are there! Install WhatsApp for your grandmother and she will be making WhatsApp calls to you with no additional effort!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Lolest!
#57 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 6:44:09 AM

murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Why didnt you try it using Wifi?

will try with wifi today
butterflyke
#58 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 8:28:54 AM

Used it yesterday for an international call....rough cost was 1MB for every two minutes....clarity was good.

I am definitely bound to use this 100 times more than I have ever used Skype and Viber.
Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. - Muhammad Ali🐝
Swenani
#59 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 8:46:56 AM

butterflyke wrote:
Used it yesterday for an international call....rough cost was 1MB for every two minutes....clarity was good.

I am definitely bound to use this 100 times more than I have ever used Skype and Viber.

It was nice speaking to you!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
msahle
#60 Posted : Thursday, April 02, 2015 8:48:20 AM

Aha!!!! Just used it to call Venezuela and it was quite good. Way better than Skype and easier too...Definitely my new tool for overseas communication