wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages<1234>»
Whatsapp Calling Service
Lolest!
#21 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 9:53:14 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

if viber hasn't picked, i don't foresee this one picking too.

Have you tried to make a call on Viber? Now try WhatsApp.

And people are already on WhatsApp. No installation, configuration, marketing etc. required.

I am a Safaricom shareholder. I am also a realist. No emotions or unfounded hope! Voice income will take a hit! Safcom have known this for years. Hopefully their other income streams will cushion the company.

I've heard of viber before, never used it

But with whatsapp launching call service, and most guys are already on it, I see a challenge for telcos

They may not die as @nakujua was suggesting in another thread. But the good times might come to an end
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
McReggae
#22 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 10:47:26 AM

So far it's only been launched on Android, ios and windows still work in progress!!!

So far you can only call an updated Android Whatsapp user, a drawback!!!
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".
Swenani
#23 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 10:59:06 AM

Read you partners/spouse/fiance whatsapp messages here

http://www.getwhatsappmessages.com/
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
radio
#24 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:01:17 AM

[quote=Swenani]Read you partners/spouse/fiance whatsapp messages here

http://www.getwhatsappmessages.com/[/quote]

Fools! But if anything like this ever came up, the world would fall apart Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
MaichBlack
#25 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:12:36 AM

McReggae wrote:
So far it's only been launched on Android, ios and windows still work in progress!!!

Everyone will be updated in a week or two. No worries.

Majority of phone users are on Android.

ios and Windows should be sorted some time this month.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
McReggae
#26 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:17:44 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
McReggae wrote:

Everyone will be updated in a week or two. No worries.

Majority of phone users are on Android.

ios and Windows should be sorted some time this month.

Sure about that?

In Kenya I think the majority are still on dumb phones, it will take time before the hit on Safcom is that big!!!!
Horton
#27 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:21:45 AM

works on blackberry 10 OS too!!!!
nakujua
#28 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 11:46:11 AM

Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

And people are already on WhatsApp. No installation, configuration, marketing etc. required.

I am a Safaricom shareholder. I am also a realist. No emotions or unfounded hope! Voice income will take a hit! Safcom have known this for years. Hopefully their other income streams will cushion the company.

But with whatsapp launching call service, and most guys are already on it, I see a challenge for telcos

They may not die as @nakujua was suggesting in another thread. But the good times might come to an end

It will happens gradually, of course pegged on data availability.

Give the dumb phones 5 years and finding one will be like trying to get the nokia 3310 now.

The thing that might pull more people into services like whatsup is the multiple channels available, voice, text, sending images, sending videos and of course it will not be pegged to a single telco.

Even our mp's are using it ...
wangu.n
#29 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 12:29:16 PM

Whatsapp is big even in Kenya. We use it a lot where I work..
I got a whatsapp call today and was impressed by the voice clarity, I could hear the voice like the person was face to face.. watch this space..
McReggae
#30 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 1:01:00 PM

nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Give the dumb phones 5 years and finding one will be like trying to get the nokia 3310 now.

The thing that might pull more people into services like whatsup is the multiple channels available, voice, text, sending images, sending videos and of course it will not be pegged to a single telco.

I agree, with time this will be a game changer, for a starter next time I go home I will carry at least 10 cheap android phones with the whatsapp functionality for my folks!!!!!
watesh
#31 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 1:10:38 PM

McReggae wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

I agree, with time this will be a game changer, for a starter next time I go home I will carry at least 10 cheap android phones with the whatsapp functionality for my folks!!!!!

Voice revenue still covers 60% and smartphone devices are over 5 million, thats close to 20% of subscribers. If each gets fast internet service then the whatsapp call functionality will be clear. Voice revenue will take a hit just like whatsapp did for SMS. Data will grow but may not bring as much revenue as voice calls
AlphDoti
#32 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 1:14:19 PM

McReggae wrote:

That was my question exactly.

Secondly, how many smartphone owners out there? What % of the market can afford?
murchr
#33 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 2:08:25 PM

Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Have you heard of Skype video calls too? Have you u used it? How many of you are out there? Reminds me of the conversation about Equitel...
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nakujua
#34 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 2:17:08 PM

AlphDoti wrote:
McReggae wrote:

That was my question exactly.

Secondly, how many smartphone owners out there? What % of the market can afford?

I don't think it will happen in an instant, but looking at the trend of the new feature phones which come bundled with some of these apps then you have a situation where the future is heading more towards data and the related services.
Impunity
#35 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 3:15:52 PM

wangu.n wrote:
I got a whatsapp call today and was impressed by the voice clarity, I could hear the voice like the person was face to face.. watch this space..

What are the charges?
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Lolest!
#36 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 3:19:36 PM

murchr wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
wilyum wrote:

Have you heard of Skype video calls too? Have you u used it? How many of you are out there? Reminds me of the conversation about Equitel...

Yes

Skype is not whatsapp. Most guys with smartphones have whatsapp
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
washiku
#37 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 3:22:23 PM

Impunity wrote:
wangu.n wrote:

What are the charges?

Data charge.
Impunity
#38 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:16:50 PM

washiku wrote:
Impunity wrote:
wangu.n wrote:

What are the charges?

Data charge.

Thanks.
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.

Kihara joni
#39 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:23:28 PM

Just tried it, the call is quite clear and loud, for the 13:43 long call I used around 3MB.
YoungMulla
#40 Posted : Wednesday, April 01, 2015 4:24:25 PM

WhatsApp calling cannot be compared to viber. The former has better market penetration and the brand is better recognized.

Personally,though, am not excited,am already getting free talk time from Airtel. However, safaricom's voice revenue will definitely take a hit. I expect all Telcoms to revise their call rates down in the next few weeks/months.
Before I die - i will touch the sky!!