wazua Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<2930313233>»
Matatu Business
Prime
#601 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 6:01:16 PM

kendata26 wrote:
One more question to the operators. I think almost all the owners I have read here operate Toyotas. Is there a disadvantage to operating Nissan Matatus (i'm thinking Nissan Caravan or something similar)? Is the fuel consumption any different from a similar Toyota? Any issues with spares availability?

I'm looking at the NRB to Kitale route. Thanks again.

I have been mulling over the same. We all have this sheep mentality that to succeed one must conform to the norm.I first noticed them on mololine doing long distance. I enquired from my mechanic and he told me that they are not as hardy and would only recommend them as shuttles and not as long distance beba shukisha (mlengo). Of late i have seen some as shuttles on nairobi-meru route and embu nairobi, also as shuttles.
On a separate discussion outside this forum, Rankaz and I really want this guys to succeed. Almost everyone huku upcountry is hiace damu, to the extent that old KAW 3Ls are fetching over a metre.
The same problems were there a few years ago with automatic vehicles. Now they are widely accepted. hata hii itapita
Pesa Nane
#602 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:57:09 PM

Good people, 'my friend' is starting at the bottom of the pyramid with a mazda bongo that will be arriving in the next four weeks.
1. How much is the cheapest compliant speed limiter and brand
2. Where do I get the slide windows fixed and how much
3. Cost of seats

Thanks
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
kendata26
#603 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 2:08:53 PM

Prime wrote:

I have been mulling over the same. We all have this sheep mentality that to succeed one must conform to the norm.I first noticed them on mololine doing long distance. I enquired from my mechanic and he told me that they are not as hardy and would only recommend them as shuttles and not as long distance beba shukisha (mlengo). Of late i have seen some as shuttles on nairobi-meru route and embu nairobi, also as shuttles.
On a separate discussion outside this forum, Rankaz and I really want this guys to succeed. Almost everyone huku upcountry is hiace damu, to the extent that old KAW 3Ls are fetching over a metre.
The same problems were there a few years ago with automatic vehicles. Now they are widely accepted. hata hii itapita

That is a very good point! The fact that the hiace may hold it's value better than the Nissan keeps driving people to the Toyota.
If there is enough difference between the two in price, the Nissans should catch up eventually.
mwanafunzi
#604 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:21:55 PM

Here is my story:
Beginning of last year I bought a secondhand Nissan caravan from KWFT, it was collateral for a loan and the owner could not service the loan( The loan was on straight line that meant he was paying the original interest even though he had repaid part of the loan). Compared to market prices then, I got it at a huge discount, the engine and gear box were okay. so I took it for body works costed me about 40K. the mat was fully compliant so no extra costs of inspection et al. returns were high, I used to collect 3500 to 4000 daily, that is six days a week, Sundays were for resting or service normally every two weeks without fail.
Costs wise:
Service 5000 x 2 = 10000 per month, occasionaly you will spend on tyres and major repairs.
Insurance third party = 7800 per month
Municipal ticket = 2000 per month
Financing = 18000 monthly loan repayment
Total Monthly costs = 40,000
Total collections = average 70000 monthly. ( Variation from budgeted figure is due to surprises eg Breakdown, Kushikwa na city council or the police).
Benefits:
As a matatu operator you are ever liquid, your mpesa is always loaded hence you can solve you small problems without touching your salo.
Respect from your crew, kinda feels nice to be addressed as BOSS!
You get to learn a lot, This business will take to every corner of the town from the garages, police stations, hospitals, municipal offices and dingy estates. It will even change you as a person and how you relate with you peers, toughness comes with the business.
Challenges:
Your crew will steal at the slightest opportunity they get. They can also irritate when they keep calling when they have a small problem. I came to learn they use such times to steal from you knowing you are an office person and won’t be available to sort out the issue.
Police- they are part owners of your mat, you have to eat with them.
Luckily I sold it off at a profit. My conclusion, Matatu business is not for office people period!!!
Speculz
#605 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:56:11 PM

Can anyone advice on margins in the school transport business?
"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Stephen Wright
jerry
#606 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 6:15:25 PM

@mwanafunzi. You have to accept to share the loot from matatu business. I've lately employed a manager to mitigate against the idea that the biz is not for office pple.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
matatuman
#607 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 7:07:34 PM

mwanafunzi wrote:
Here is my story:
Beginning of last year I bought a secondhand Nissan caravan from KWFT, it was collateral for a loan and the owner could not service the loan( The loan was on straight line that meant he was paying the original interest even though he had repaid part of the loan). Compared to market prices then, I got it at a huge discount, the engine and gear box were okay. so I took it for body works costed me about 40K. the mat was fully compliant so no extra costs of inspection et al. returns were high, I used to collect 3500 to 4000 daily, that is six days a week, Sundays were for resting or service normally every two weeks without fail.
Costs wise:
Service 5000 x 2 = 10000 per month, occasionaly you will spend on tyres and major repairs.
Total collections = average 70000 monthly. ( Variation from budgeted figure is due to surprises eg Breakdown, Kushikwa na city council or the police).
Benefits:
As a matatu operator you are ever liquid, your mpesa is always loaded hence you can solve you small problems without touching your salo.
You get to learn a lot, This business will take to every corner of the town from the garages, police stations, hospitals, municipal offices and dingy estates. It will even change you as a person and how you relate with you peers, toughness comes with the business.
Challenges:
Your crew will steal at the slightest opportunity they get. They can also irritate when they keep calling when they have a small problem. I came to learn they use such times to steal from you knowing you are an office person and won’t be available to sort out the issue.
Luckily I sold it off at a profit. My conclusion, Matatu business is not for office people period!!!

Aje sasa? :)
Let me rephrase...who is it for? Retirees? Public Servants? Those in informal sectors? How strong is the "fire in your belly"? Everything in life is about passion, from the woman/man you marry, to the job/business you do, to the quality of life you live.
Rankaz13
#608 Posted : Wednesday, April 15, 2015 10:30:01 PM

matatuman wrote:
mwanafunzi wrote:
Here is my story:
Costs wise:
Benefits:
Challenges:

Aje sasa? :)
Let me rephrase...who is it for? Retirees? Public Servants? Those in informal sectors? How strong is the "fire in your belly"? Everything in life is about passion, from the woman/man you marry, to the job/business you do, to the quality of life you live.

smile smile smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Pesa Nane
#609 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:22:14 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Good people, 'my friend' is starting at the bottom of the pyramid with a mazda bongo that will be arriving in the next four weeks.
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!
jerry
#610 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 1:42:54 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

If in NBI look for Muigai in Ngara especially for (3). Slide windows are found in Kirinyaga Rd.
Pesa Nane
#611 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 4:17:14 PM

jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

If in NBI look for Muigai in Ngara especially for (3). Slide windows are found in Kirinyaga Rd.

costs?
jerry
#612 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 5:28:43 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

costs?

I paid 59,000/= for seats(14 seater) in May last year.
Omata speed limiter cost me 35k but should be cheaper now, not sure though. A search of my records gives me 24,000/= for all the four pieces of sliding windows. Again these are for a while back, i.e. almost a year ago.
matatuman
#613 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:50:40 PM

jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

costs?

Omata speed limiter cost me 35k but should be cheaper now, not sure though. A search of my records gives me 24,000/= for all the four pieces of sliding windows. Again these are for a while back, i.e. almost a year ago.

Muigai is a con, cuts corners when you are not there to supervise, i had left him with excess belts and only realized after my supplier notified me that he had packed more than enough. Long story short i never got them back.
I would recommend a guy called David, very thorough, does quality work for seats and actually listens to what you want unlike most people in that biz. Still based in Ngara. His number is 0721-960837. Prime can attest to his quality of work. Not sure of cost for a bongo. But for 14 seater it was between 40k - 45k around Jan this year, depending on material and design.

On speed governor cost seems to be 35k regardless of the make.

Sliding windows for a bongo i dont know but for hiace its same as what Jerry has quoted. There is a guy who deals in windows called Gichimu. David can get you his number, i don't seem to have it.
Lolest!
#614 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2015 9:10:16 PM

jerry wrote:
@mwanafunzi. You have to accept to share the loot from matatu business. I've lately employed a manager to mitigate against the idea that the biz is not for office pple.

I know a guy with 3 mats and a lorry and is employed

He tracks his vehicles on his comp as they're fitted with tracking devices
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
Pesa Nane
#615 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 12:28:11 PM

matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

costs?

Muigai is a con, cuts corners when you are not there to supervise, i had left him with excess belts and only realized after my supplier notified me that he had packed more than enough. Long story short i never got them back.
I would recommend a guy called David, very thorough, does quality work for seats and actually listens to what you want unlike most people in that biz. Still based in Ngara. His number is 0721-960837. Prime can attest to his quality of work. Not sure of cost for a bongo. But for 14 seater it was between 40k - 45k around Jan this year, depending on material and design.

On speed governor cost seems to be 35k regardless of the make.

Sliding windows for a bongo i dont know but for hiace its same as what Jerry has quoted. There is a guy who deals in windows called Gichimu. David can get you his number, i don't seem to have it.

Cheers @matatuman. Fore warned is fore armed!!
Pesa Nane
#616 Posted : Friday, April 17, 2015 12:30:11 PM

jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
jerry wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
3. Cost of seats

Thanks

Serikali saidia jameni!!

costs?

Big up @jerry. Appreciated.
mlennyma
#617 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 4:38:39 PM

Between a 4wd toyota hiace and a 2wd toyota hiace,which one can be better or which can you choose for a matatu on all tarmac road???help
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Sober
#618 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 9:55:42 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Between a 4wd toyota hiace and a 2wd toyota hiace,which one can be better or which can you choose for a matatu on all tarmac road???help

You've answered when you said 'all tarmac road' a 2WD wil do, why waste more resources on the 4WD
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
jerry
#619 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 11:34:06 PM

Sober wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

You've answered when you said 'all tarmac road' a 2WD wil do, why waste more resources on the 4WD

4WD could even be cheaper than 2WD due to their low demand! I think the "resources wasting" will be in maintenance.
mlennyma
#620 Posted : Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:43:00 PM

jerry wrote:
Sober wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

4WD could even be cheaper than 2WD due to their low demand! I think the "resources wasting" will be in maintenance.

thanx
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."