derick wrote:
safaricom will not be around in the next 10 years

I fully agree with you.

lol. how will this happen? At the moment safcom is the main co for talk time, data bundles and money transfer/payments

You will see an mpesa shop wherever you go in Kenya.

you know some years back there were phone booths wherever you went in kenya, i have seen a good number of 50+ year olds on whatsup, and in 10 years time people will be wondering how on earth data bundles used to work.
as for mpesa, wewe ngoja utaona.

those guys on whatsapp are accessing through??

Safcom will die when you first beat them on voice/sms. Then mpesa/paybill option

Hapo sawa, hope we will still be around in ten years time, but remember what beats you is what you do not see - the assassin does not have and will most probaly not be local.
Wacha whatsup and family waweke voice.

technology changes stuff, fast

whatsapp in its current form wont lead to death of telcos. Usage of those services is a win-win for the 2

Let's see how it turns out in 10 years if God keeps us alive

true, but you can see the disruption that services like whatsup can do, look at it this way - lets say 4g or 5g comes along and the days of bandwidth being an issue are gone, guys now are using whatsup for messaging instead of sms, and guys are now using video call say via skype and also the likes of whatsup introduce the same.

the prob for telcos is now that the users are independent of them, just like the digital migration did, all one needs is data to communicate doesn't matter where that data is coming from - as for mpesa, its funny that up to now safcom has no api for linking into it, I don't see the guys adapting, but they have dismissed two senior managers so maybe things will change.
derick
#22 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 10:50:01 PM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

lol. how will this happen? At the moment safcom is the main co for talk time, data bundles and money transfer/payments

you know some years back there were phone booths wherever you went in kenya, i have seen a good number of 50+ year olds on whatsup, and in 10 years time people will be wondering how on earth data bundles used to work.

Safcom will die when you first beat them on voice/sms. Then mpesa/paybill option

Hapo sawa, hope we will still be around in ten years time, but remember what beats you is what you do not see - the assassin does not have and will most probaly not be local.

Never put your bet on technology
Your income is directly related to your philosophy, Not the economy.-Jim Rohn
#23 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 4:42:32 AM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

whatsapp in its current form wont lead to death of telcos. Usage of those services is a win-win for the 2

true, but you can see the disruption that services like whatsup can do, look at it this way - lets say 4g or 5g comes along and the days of bandwidth being an issue are gone, guys now are using whatsup for messaging instead of sms, and guys are now using video call say via skype and also the likes of whatsup introduce the same.

the prob for telcos is now that the users are independent of them, just like the digital migration did, all one needs is data to communicate doesn't matter where that data is coming from - as for mpesa, its funny that up to now safcom has no api for linking into it, I don't see the guys adapting, but they have dismissed two senior managers so maybe things will change.

There's nothing big with WhatsApp bringing on board their voice service. You still have to be connected to a mobile service provider to access it anyway. Viber has been doing it for a while now, and Skype, Google voice, hangouts have always been there and they haven't disrupted the market. The latest entrant is Snapchat which is driving teenagers crazy.

I was waiting for you to mention internet.org where Facebook and several other companies are partnering to offer internet for free. Its been a year now. Questions are being raised as to why they are offering it to Africa and Asia and not America. There are those who believe that Facebook is killing small businesses such as ISP am yet to see how this impacts the space.

Lets see how Google's Project Loon goes
#24 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 2:34:41 PM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

There's nothing big with WhatsApp bringing on board their voice service. You still have to be connected to a mobile service provider to access it anyway. Viber has been doing it for a while now, and Skype, Google voice, hangouts have always been there and they haven't disrupted the market. The latest entrant is Snapchat which is driving teenagers crazy.

I was waiting for you to mention internet.org where Facebook and several other companies are partnering to offer internet for free. Its been a year now. Questions are being raised as to why they are offering it to Africa and Asia and not America. There are those who believe that Facebook is killing small businesses such as ISP am yet to see how this impacts the space.

4g and future communication technologies are different animals, since it stops being a telephone service and turns into a data service - the shift is moving away from carrying voice over some frequencies, if you look at safcom and the other telcos much of their profits are derived from voice and sms.
#25 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 5:50:09 PM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

4g and future communication technologies are different animals, since it stops being a telephone service and turns into a data service - the shift is moving away from carrying voice over some frequencies, if you look at safcom and the other telcos much of their profits are derived from voice and sms.

4G has been available to some countries since 2010. And FYI safcom is the only service provider offering the spectrum which will give them the ability to offer TV services for cheap.

Safcom makes more money from voice and SMS because Kenyans can't just stop calling and texting smile Remember we have very peculiar habits, so don't look at trends elsewhere and think they can be extrapolated in every scenario. PS. Am not saying that this is constant...but I think Safcom is adapting to the changes just as it should..
#26 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 6:08:02 PM

I think Safcom is adapting to the changes just as it should..

Yeah, like seizing the set top box opportunity

But I feel they could've been faster in seizing it. Can't wait to see how it will be working, internet and all!
#27 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 10:50:07 PM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

4G has been available to some countries since 2010. And FYI safcom is the only service provider offering the spectrum which will give them the ability to offer TV services for cheap.

Safcom makes more money from voice and SMS because Kenyans can't just stop calling and texting smile Remember we have very peculiar habits, so don't look at trends elsewhere and think they can be extrapolated in every scenario. PS. Am not saying that this is constant...but I think Safcom is adapting to the changes just as it should..

My point is, the new technology is different 4g has no support for the traditional telephony voice calls - and actually even in the countries that have high adoption of 4g, voice calls or phone plans still exists so I am not counting on trends elsewhere to support my view. Actually my theory is 'mbichi' smile .

With technology moving to data, and the same being availed in abundance the telcos as we know them today will fade away and in will come independent providers for messaging and voice communication, its slowly gaining ground that's why I give the same 10 years.
#28 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 11:27:05 PM

derick wrote:

I fully agree with you.

My point is, the new technology is different 4g has no support for the traditional telephony voice calls - and actually even in the countries that have high adoption of 4g, voice calls or phone plans still exists so I am not counting on trends elsewhere to support my view. Actually my theory is 'mbichi' smile .

With technology moving to data, and the same being availed in abundance the telcos as we know them today will fade away and in will come independent providers for messaging and voice communication, its slowly gaining ground that's why I give the same 10 years.

4G does not support Circuit switching(I guess this is what you are referring to as traditional telephony) - where nodes have to establish circuit between them to pass communication, but it works perfect on VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) Those who are IT savvy can explain this in detail
#29 Posted : Monday, March 23, 2015 11:54:49 PM

4G does not support Circuit switching(I guess this is what you are referring to as traditional telephony) - where nodes have to establish circuit between them to pass communication, but it works perfect on VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) Those who are IT savvy can explain this in detail

Hapo sawa, mimi sielewi hi mambo ya IT - lakini I know there will always be a work around whether its switching back and forth between 2g/3g and 4g depending on voice or data, or just moving voice to ip.
But my point is, technology is moving away from that circuit thing into this packet thing and the packet thing brings with it freedom and ends reliance on a sim number or telephone number as the pivot point for communication.
#30 Posted : Tuesday, March 24, 2015 12:19:15 AM

Hapo sawa, mimi sielewi hi mambo ya IT - lakini I know there will always be a work around whether its switching back and forth between 2g/3g and 4g depending on voice or data, or just moving voice to ip.
But my point is, technology is moving away from that circuit thing into this packet thing and the packet thing brings with it freedom and ends reliance on a sim number or telephone number as the pivot point for communication.

2.5G 3G all have some aspect of packet data. (GPRS - General Packet Radio Service) HSPA (High Speed Packet Access) 4G is all digital broadband, packet based and all IP all voice is over internet, so think scale and speed.
#31 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 3:57:35 PM

Interesting, Indians don't want to be cheated
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32349480
#32 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2019 10:52:32 AM

Four years later, we are almost there. its going to be a BIG BANK!

If you open a Libra account, or “wallet,” Libra will invest your cash in interest-bearing bonds while paying you nothing. The members will keep the difference as dividends.

Think about it, you will not suffer the pains caused by a falling shilling, shopping online all problems solved, producing id kila saa for mpesa agents gone, not being charged 20% interest rates when hedge funds/investors in US are promising 15%. KRA will experience problems because they made Mpesa an "agent" , people will run away from mpesa so Sportpesa will use this system to avoid problems. You have to be better than warren buffet to make money using borrowed money in Kenya, or a government thief.
Not only an extremely serious threat to finish M-pesa/Safaricom, this is also going to affect the banking sector, it will be a currency killer for shithole currencies, some banks, saccos e.t.c will definitely close. Mitigating action by safaricom would be to take up a huge membership or look for ways to partner with facebook otherwise i cannot see any other place a wise Kenyan would keep his money, or borrow from.
doubletap
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2019 7:38:45 PM

Four years later, we are almost there. its going to be a BIG BANK!

If you open a Libra account, or “wallet,” Libra will invest your cash in interest-bearing bonds while paying you nothing. The members will keep the difference as dividends.

Think about it, you will not suffer the pains caused by a falling shilling, shopping online all problems solved, producing id kila saa for mpesa agents gone, not being charged 20% interest rates when hedge funds/investors in US are promising 15%. KRA will experience problems because they made Mpesa an "agent" , people will run away from mpesa so Sportpesa will use this system to avoid problems. You have to be better than warren buffet to make money using borrowed money in Kenya, or a government thief.
Not only an extremely serious threat to finish M-pesa/Safaricom, this is also going to affect the banking sector, it will be a currency killer for shithole currencies, some banks, saccos e.t.c will definitely close. Mitigating action by safaricom would be to take up a huge membership or look for ways to partner with facebook otherwise i cannot see any other place a wise Kenyan would keep his money, or borrow from.

Have also been thinking about this Facebook digital currency Libra and think we in the developing world might reap the benefits only when we totally go digital which is not in the next 10 yrs maybe, where most transactions are digital no physical money and the death of mpesa-agents maybe.

Digital currencies like bitcoin and ethereum are not as easily exchanged locally or getting a business that would take them is also a challenge hence not being very popular and very few people know what they really are. One of the issues with it begin decentralized is if you lose your pass-code it bye bye johnny to your wallet as opposed to you walking into your bank and asking for a reset. But they work.

Mpesa is not really a digital currency as the two, it's only a conduit an intermediary between you and the goods and services that you want, that's the beauty you don't have to carry cash, downside is you always paying much more for the same goods. By the way, why is there a maximum daily transaction amount?

Mpesa is just ripe for disruption but unfortunately Libra is not it yet. What we all need is a way to access our money 24/7 without any charges or maybe a low monthly charge fixed rate that then enables me to send money using an app / [short code service in case not smart phone] not bound to any telco where i get my internet connection from.

Pesalink is an idea in this direction but only for those who do have bank accounts though the service is not as smooth. Do you like the idea of linking directly to your main bank account or other dummy account for withdrawals and deposits? Think it is brilliant

So back to wanjiku the unbanked, a virtual bank or there whatsapp account?
You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else - Albert Einstein