wazua Wed, Jun 26, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Communism vs Democracy: Is democracy overhyped?
adept
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:31:59 PM

With the current drama, is it probably time we just got rid of democracy in Kenya and Africa once and for all and went back to authoritarian (like Libya) or communist leadership?

The other day, I couldnt help but turn green with envy when I saw EU countries complaining that they cant get visas to Libya or something to that effect. I long for the day we can be in their shoes.

China has lifted 300 million people from poverty in about 30 years. If you consider that this is the equivalent of the entire US population, that number is simply staggering. In percentage terms, this is an avg of 25-30% of the population.

China is currently lifting about 1 million people out of poverty every month. Meaning in 3 years, it will have lifted the equivalent of Kenya's entire population from poverty. Of course their economy is bigger but still something to ponder.

With a respectable military boasting nuclear weapons, a steamroller of an economy, and a seat on the UN Security Council you ignore China at your own peril.

The number of firsts that China is picking up today at the expense of US, Europe, Japan is becoming difficult to keep track of.

In practice, are democratic states really that different from communist states? Good example, China blocks access to certain websites (censorship) while the US sifts through all internet content (infringement on privacy). Both do it for security reasons?????

Contrary to what Hollywood dramatize the inevitable evil end of communism China still maintains a tight grip on the Internet, the press, freedom of assembly, reproductive rights, and freedom of religion and still continues to hit the ceiling.

Personally, I dont want to live under the illusion that it is my great-grandchildren that will enjoy the fruits of our democracy. I need progress now!

Is democracy overhyped?
muganda
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:51:43 PM

Aaaah @adept, what suppositions! When I was once idling, I really mused on this issue and I've come to realise:

1. Between capitalism and communism, capitalism was just the lesser of two evils. Any system of government can work...

2. Though we live in capitalism, we don't realise how temporary its been. Is it just over 100yrs? Can you compare to the imperialism of the Roman Empire or the ancient monarchies?

3. Democracy as a system of government is inevitable with the empowerment of human race. My belief is capitalism may increasingly undermine democracy. Perhaps the answer is social democracy: some sort of basic government intervention instead of purely economic determinism

The problem in Kenya is poor leadership. Poor leadership, can it be solved by a system of government?
the sage
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:09:18 PM

@Adept, China capitalist economically but
politically it is communism. I believe that democracy has never existed under capitalism.

All government, in its essence, is a conspiracy against the superior man: its one permanent object is to oppress him and cripple him. If it be aristocratic in organization, then it seeks to protect the man who is superior only in law against the man who is superior in fact; if it be democratic, then it seeks to protect the man who is inferior in every way against both. One of its primary functions is to regiment men by force, to make them as much alike as possible and as dependent upon one another as possible, to search out and combat originality among them. All it can see in an original idea is potential change, and hence an invasion of its prerogatives. The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are.

HL Mencken

muganda
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 1:19:53 PM

@the sage, interesting, but confounded on this point. Kindly expound...

the sage wrote:
I believe that democracy has never existed under capitalism.

digitek1
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:49:53 PM

We are living in exponential times!!

China is now the largest english speaking country and chineese the most spoken language in the world
I may be wrong..but then I could be right