wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Cost of putting up rental single rooms
mungaits
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 12:09:40 PM

Hello Wazuans!

I am planning to put up 20 rental single rooms (using machine cut stones) somewhere near kikuyu and would appreciate some insights.

- Does this require kanjo approval? if yes how bad is the bureaucracy?

- What's the rough/estimate cost per unit of 12ft by 12ft built using machine cut stones and mabati roof?

- does anyone have a contact of a good contractor/fundi who has done such units bila stress?

Asanteni

kyt
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 3:47:57 PM

Is this first floor or ground flr? Ground flr iko na foundation 1st haina.
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
Am
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 4:48:42 PM

mungaits wrote:
Hello Wazuans!

I am planning to put up 20 rental single rooms (using machine cut stones) somewhere near kikuyu and would appreciate some insights.

- What's the rough/estimate cost per unit of 12ft by 12ft built using machine cut stones and mabati roof?

- does anyone have a contact of a good contractor/fundi who has done such units bila stress?

Asanteni

I believe even a 3ft x 3ft toilet requires Kanjo approval. That's how they make money. I do not know about Kikuyu area, but if Its same as Mavoko then I would rather deal with the askari Morons who pass by wakati Koroga Imeshika than pay those official hefty approval charges.I know views will differ but that's how I deal with it. Ndarugu/Machine cut stones are great - makes Plaster easier. Last bought them at Ksh16,500 (400F)delivered, Sand Ksh38,000 for 28T today and Kakoto /Ballast will average Ksh18 - 20,000K today.
No Fundi is Bila stress, even if the Fundi is your twin!! Also, I doubt you want to give a contract since that Job is not big. Assuming you are employed, My advise is that if you can get leave, then Just buy a Nice wooden stool, and then a copy of NATION/Taifa leo Daily and supervise the work for yourself - running the small errands for the fundi. Be a Boy.smile smile Buy all materials for yourself. If you need a Plumber, electrician etc, get a 2nd quote and do not dare work with the first. You will save. Don't forget to Come back and tell us how things went.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
kyt
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 5:27:10 PM

mungaits i have a very good fund, kindly get in touch, he was one fund who is bila stress at all, he would actually use his money to buy material and i pay him later
mungaits
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:55:52 PM

Thanks @kyt and @am for your responses.

@kyt, ni ground floor pekeyake. Pliz email me his contacts to mungaits (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk

@Am, great comments and insights! I think I will risk the cat & mouse games with the kanjo numb skulls. Ref the Fundi, well I've already filled my leave forms, carried all the old gazeti & magazines from the office now shopping around for a comfy stool!

I will be breaking ground in the 2nd half of Dec, will share my experiences as I proceed.

Anyone with more details/numbers on the costings?

Asanteni

Am
#6 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 9:34:38 AM

mungaits wrote:

@kyt, ni ground floor pekeyake. Pliz email me his contacts to mungaits (at) yahoo (dot) co (dot) uk

@Am, great comments and insights! I think I will risk the cat & mouse games with the kanjo numb skulls. Ref the Fundi, well I've already filled my leave forms, carried all the old gazeti & magazines from the office now shopping around for a comfy stool!

I will be breaking ground in the 2nd half of Dec, will share my experiences as I proceed.

Asanteni

Timber - Best price I have seen is 22/= per Foot for either size. Also, You realize there are times you will go buy 1/2/3 Cement from the local hardware. Do not pay same price as when you require 50/100 Cement during Koroga. Bulk should cost 20/= less. Same for Chumas Y8,12,16, Binding wires etc. If you can and especially if you have storage, buy materials as bulky as possible - not daily. Helps you avoid a lot of Mkokoteni transport costs. All these small small savings adds up. Water - if you are able to connect to Council water before your foundation and avoid buying from Vendors then it's very cheap. Electricity - Apply a month earlier. The Fools can take decades to come Install after paying officially, slowing occupancy by tenants...This hurts!!!!!
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God..
kyt
#7 Posted : Friday, December 05, 2014 10:47:54 AM

I will send you at lunch time
greenbeat
#8 Posted : Tuesday, February 03, 2015 6:17:12 AM

mungaits wrote:

Asanteni

@mungaits. Did the project take off? How is it going so far? Thinking of doing the same and would appreciate insights.
mungaits
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2015 9:50:41 PM

Greetings @greenbeat & all Wazuans!

The project kicked off as anticipated and I am currently at 90% completion.

Finally managed to do 19 units of 12 by 12 and the unit cost to date is approx 100k per room.

Currently putting final touches and hoping to get tenants in March.

Will try and upload photos.

Learning so far - kujenga ni stress but fun!

Asanteni
jerry
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2015 11:42:00 PM

What's the anticipated payback period?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
enyands
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 04, 2015 11:59:40 PM

mungaits wrote:
Hello Wazuans!

Asanteni

mungaits where did you buy the plot what area and how much rent are you anticipating for
greenbeat
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 5:21:46 AM

mungaits wrote:

Finally managed to do 19 units of 12 by 12 and the unit cost to date is approx 100k per room.

Asanteni

Will await the photos.What were some of the major challenges so that we can plan accordingly and maybe avoid some pitfalls. The project went quite fast, congrats.
mungaits
#13 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 8:05:19 AM

Hi,

@Jerry, anticipated payback period is 4 - 5 years

@Enyands, the plot is in Regen, off Nakuru highway just before Kikuyu town. Rent is anticipated to range from 3,500 to 4,000.

@Greenbeat, thanks it's been hectic but a worthwhile experience

Tips
- First of all you will need a good Fundi/supervisor to oversee the project. It's very tricky dealing with mjengo guys.
- You also need a good, cheap and reliable supplier of material. Materials take upto 70% of the total cost thus every discount counts! Credit lines come in handy when funds are not readily available
- To get things going I think personal presence helps. I took leave in Dec n early Jan to be on site and oversee kazi.
- Finally, get your cost estimates right, otherwise the budgeted funds run out prematurely and you have source additional funds (not easy especially in January!!)

Challenges
Kanjo - vultures
Weather - rain messed the schedule
Water - sort the source before you start

Hope this helps

Asante
jerry
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 05, 2015 8:16:14 AM

Thanks @mungaits. I could easily convert a mat into rentals if I had a plot.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
mungaits
#15 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 7:54:08 AM

Hi all,

Anyone with details/contacts of where to buy T & G PVC ceiling material and electrical fittings (wires, sockets, switches, etc) costs?

Jitahidi
#16 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 8:57:17 AM

mungaits wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone with details/contacts of where to buy T & G PVC ceiling material and electrical fittings (wires, sockets, switches, etc) costs?

PVC Ceiling materials - Juma Hardware along Kombo Munyiri road and have the best prices
Electrical fittings - Nyamakima just below River road..look for Cindy or the other big shop there that sells on wholesale. I cant remember the name
Am
#17 Posted : Friday, February 06, 2015 2:35:35 PM

Jitahidi wrote:
mungaits wrote:
Hi all,

PVC Ceiling materials - Juma Hardware along Kombo Munyiri road and have the best prices
Electrical fittings - Nyamakima just below River road..look for Cindy or the other big shop there that sells on wholesale. I cant remember the name

Seconded. Juma Hardware is best for plumbing stuff.As for electricals best wholesale prices, Place is CAREPOINT ELECTRICALS in Nyamakima
icecube
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 8:15:54 AM

mungaits wrote:

Asanteni

Congratulations and good information, very helpful.
littledove
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 07, 2015 9:02:51 AM

mungaits wrote:

Asanteni

@mungaits how was the cost of stones, sand and ballast per lorry, and whats the percentage of labour to the whole project.
the info will be of help to me and many wazuans, hope @s.mutaga is still around
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
mungaits
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 08, 2015 10:22:41 PM

@Icecube, Asante.

@ Littledove, some of the material cost are

Mai mahiu sand 35k/lorry

Ballast - 40k/lorry

Naivasha quarry stones (6) - 35 bob/pcs

Ndarugo stones (6) - 45 bob/pcs

Hardcore - 25k/lorry

Cement 640 (savannah) to 700 per bag

NB. Lorry used ni ile kubwa, muguu kumi (ten wheeler)

Labour cost accounts for approx 1/4 to 1/5 of the total cost & very troublesome to monitor and control.

PS. For all your electricals fittings, checkout Twinkid shop in nyamakima. Great prices, service n customer care.

Torn between using plywood and PVC T&G for ceiling, anyone with personal experience with the two?

Asanteni