wazua Fri, May 3, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Burning out
Mike Ock
#1 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 3:19:24 PM

I have been building a business for the past 5.5 years and it's finally started bearing some big fruits. I'm certain that if I revealed the name of my company, several wazuans will recognize it. But just as I'm starting to taste success in feeling a lethargy I've never felt before. Even waking up to go to the office is a problem.

For wazuans who have ever reached this point before, how did you deal with it?
westkate
#2 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 3:33:00 PM

if you have seen suceess your way , share and you will prosper
kryptonite
#3 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 3:56:32 PM

Mike Ock wrote:
I have been building a business for the past 5.5 years and it's finally started bearing some big fruits. I'm certain that if I revealed the name of my company, several wazuans will recognize it. But just as I'm starting to taste success in feeling a lethargy I've never felt before. Even waking up to go to the office is a problem.

You have several options:

a) Take a break from work. Step back and recharge your batteries.

b) Refocus your business. Maybe introduce a new product or new way of doing things internally. Go for training even.

c) Start another business/project altogether on the side. It might not necessarily be a moneymaking venture.

d) Consider putting your business up for sale. (This might be the extreme option)
The harder you work, the luckier you get
jerry
#4 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 4:14:04 PM

Invite a partner.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
Nimerudi
#5 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 11:39:16 PM

kryptonite wrote:
Mike Ock wrote:

You have several options:

a) Take a break from work. Step back and recharge your batteries.

b) Refocus your business. Maybe introduce a new product or new way of doing things internally. Go for training even.

c) Start another business/project altogether on the side. It might not necessarily be a moneymaking venture.

d) Consider putting your business up for sale. (This might be the extreme option)

As @Kryptonite said.
1. Take a break.
2. Leave some aspects of the business in a trusted aide and start an exciting spinoff. Something that can keep your mind interested. This worked well for me in the past year. Being an entrepreneur means you get bored lots of times and you need to refocus. Cheers smile
Mart_Consult
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:59:56 AM

Mike Ock wrote:

You need to understand your career motivators Mike Ock...typically, entrepreneur or not we are motivated by a few constant factors as we do what we do...there's a career resilience graph that shows on average our performance tends to decline from the 4th year (that's an average- may be longer or shorter) due to various factors (again, your career motivators)..a simple change in routine or working environment may do the trick! Necessarily getting a new venture may not always be the solution...but still, it may be...understand your driving force(s) and you will be able to get to the solution faster than any Wazuan may advise...

Caveat: I have interests in the professional career development & change management industry...
I went into the (Ferry) industry knowing the same thing I knew with all other businesses I went into- Nothing. Then I built it from there. - Sheldon Adelson (Titans at the Table- Giants of Macau)
Dahatre
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 25, 2015 8:19:29 AM

Have you ruled out a medical or psychiatric cause(s) for the lethargy? anemia, thyroid issues, depression etc?
Mike Ock wrote:
....I'm starting to taste success in feeling a lethargy I've never felt before. Even waking up to go to the office is a problem.

Mukiri
#8 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 8:17:17 PM

Dahatre wrote:
Have you ruled out a medical or psychiatric cause(s) for the lethargy? anemia, thyroid issues, depression etc?
Mike Ock wrote:
....I'm starting to taste success in feeling a lethargy I've never felt before. Even waking up to go to the office is a problem.

Ditto. 64kg to 83kg in 5 months could have brought about this.

PS: Share that tweaked diet. I could tell you something

Proverbs 19:21