wazua Wed, Apr 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages«<5678>
Graduate Salaries in Kenya : A Review
Rankaz13
#121 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:08:53 AM

kysse wrote:
Yesterday.

Me: Hi what's your name and what exactly does your company do?
Graduate:Chewing gum at an exhibition stand and talking like she doesn't give a damn.
Well just take a brochure and see what we do
Me:Puzzled,I take some and begin reading.
Graduate:Is your company employing?
Me:Actually... we are restructuring and employing cost cutting measures, including lay offs where we have job duplications. No am not the employer
so ahead and apply since we have a reserve for cvs awaiting opp.to pop up. Who knows your lucky day.

Graduate:Does your company allow people to travel?
Me:To where?? and for what??
Graduate:Anywhere in and out of the country
Me:Ok what's your speciality?
Graduate:Psychology.
Me:Then why are you looking for work in this Industry? If I travel in the course of duty,it's because its part of my JD and I must account for it ,because it costs the co.
You dont travel at work as a hobby.
Graduate: Argh
Me: Can you serve tea if asked to do so during an interview?
Graduate: No way,I want to do what you do.
Me: Well you are joking. My first job,was in a cyber.I used to type,make phone calls,clean floor ,serve tea and wash toilet. 2 of us working in shift for a rich couple.I was earning something at your age.
Graduate: We are taught to aim high and think big,so how did all that help you?
Me: It was a bridge ,a stepping stone because when I got a call to work in a big office 8 mnths later,as part of the interview the boss gave me work on his PC ,he was testing my computer skills which I had perfected at the cyber.
I got the job.

Now stuff like cleaning made me humble and built a character in me.It made me respect and appreciate low level staff because I have done what they do.
But listen without chewing gum because it's considered uncouth esp in such a place full of potential employers.
I have been to places I could only dream of and dined with those occupying huge offices. The network as you go up will open doors for you. You dont have to be big, all you need is bread on your table! through humility and hardwork.

So when you are asked to do something sane, grab the chance .Most important is to get in.But let management know that' its short term for orientation purposes,good test for patience.

Graduate:Thank you .Will consider.

I observed the following in her;
Attitude
Reality
Expectations
Determination.

smile smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
guru267
#122 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:15:02 AM

UpcomingPaperChaser wrote:
papers play a very vital role in Kenya today, my friend did Acturial Science, CPAk and ACCA and was immediately employed by KenyaRe with a starting salary of 120k immediately after college

What sane person would do CPA(K) & ACCA??

Mark 12:29
Deuteronomy 4:16
Mastermind
#123 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:40:43 AM

guru267 wrote:
papers play a very vital role in Kenya today, my friend did Acturial Science, CPAk and ACCA and was immediately employed by KenyaRe with a starting salary of 120k immediately after college

Do ACCA then after you have completed apply for CPA exemptions they exempt you everything apart from tax. Not sure whether the reverse works
If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
UpcomingPaperChaser
#124 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 12:37:50 PM

Mastermind wrote:
guru267 wrote:

Do ACCA then after you have completed apply for CPA exemptions they exempt you everything apart from tax. Not sure whether the reverse works

He enrolled for CPA immediately after high school and combined them by the time we completed 1st semester 1st year, he was done with CPA and immediately started ACCA.

Wish i had known the importance of professional papers at that time, its so sad that am realizing this when am working!! though CSIA is what fits my field of Real Estate and Property Investment Analysis
Enjoy every moment of your life, you never know when your time will come.
kiterunner
#125 Posted : Monday, January 26, 2015 5:25:08 AM

@New Investor

How did life turn out?
our goals are best achieved indirectly
Lolest!
#126 Posted : Thursday, June 08, 2017 1:23:03 PM

Quote:
When you graduate top in your class and get hired by a renowned company everyone assumes you are making lots of money hence place high expectations on you, worst of all if you pursued a prestigious course. What they don’t know is behind that fancy degree, nice suit and swanky office is a tortured soul battling depression while trying to reconcile perceived social standing and an empty bank account.

http://markmaish.com/201...an-university-graduates/
Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
sparkly
#127 Posted : Thursday, June 08, 2017 9:11:56 PM

[quote=Lolest!]
Quote:
When you graduate top in your class and get hired by a renowned company everyone assumes you are making lots of money hence place high expectations on you, worst of all if you pursued a prestigious course. What they don’t know is behind that fancy degree, nice suit and swanky office is a tortured soul battling depression while trying to reconcile perceived social standing and an empty bank account.

http://markmaish.com/201...n-university-graduates/[/quote]

Very true. The problem with young people is to assume that the world owes them something for being bright, scoring As, doing top cream courses. Maisha ni kupambana
Life is short. Live passionately.
tnai9
#128 Posted : Friday, June 09, 2017 8:20:54 AM

sparkly wrote:
[quote=Lolest!]
Quote:

Very true. The problem with young people is to assume that the world owes them something for being bright, scoring As, doing top cream courses. Maisha ni kupambana

This wouldn't have been expressed any better. I had these humongous expectations after getting As and taking a prestigious course at the University. Reality checked in when I wouldn't find attachment easily. When dropping CVs in some places, watchmen/secretaries would arrogantly turn me away and I was offered 5K salo on my 1st job. Sema depression.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence." ― Charles Bukowski
sparkly
#129 Posted : Saturday, June 10, 2017 8:59:05 PM

tnai9 wrote:
sparkly wrote:
[quote=Lolest!]
Quote:

This wouldn't have been expressed any better. I had these humongous expectations after getting As and taking a prestigious course at the University. Reality checked in when I wouldn't find attachment easily. When dropping CVs in some places, watchmen/secretaries would arrogantly turn me away and I was offered 5K salo on my 1st job. Sema depression.

I came across this Job Advert for those that may be interested
Life is short. Live passionately.
Ryko
#130 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:44:37 AM

What a salary of 100K can do you in "NAIROBI"..... no wonders Fuliza is making money

I work so I can afford the amount of alcohol required to continue going to work
Swenani
#131 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 12:35:09 PM

Ryko wrote:
What a salary of 100K can do you in "NAIROBI"..... no wonders Fuliza is making money

Sasa tuseme anyone earning 100K cannot even pay fees for kindergarten children?

This is nothing but theory,practically Kenyans earning 100K are balling my fren. They are untouchables in bars and other social joints
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
tinker
#132 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 1:22:00 PM

Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:

This is nothing but theory,practically Kenyans earning 100K are balling my fren. They are untouchables in bars and other social joints

I have a wild suggestion. How can we remove PAYE from that list....it is the biggest expenses / deduction.
....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
Angelica _ann
#133 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 2:16:03 PM

tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:

I have a wild suggestion. How can we remove PAYE from that list....it is the biggest expenses / deduction.

What is your wild suggestion? smile
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Swenani
#134 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 4:09:44 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:
tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:

What is your wild suggestion? smile

Be unemployedLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
LosAngeles~254
#135 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 1:21:43 AM

Yes salaries are low in Kenya. There's only one way to get get ahead as I was telling my cuzo recently. Instead of renting that 15 or 17k flat in Kasarani, umo, etc....why not use that money to rent a house that has some land on it...even if it's an 1/8th or a quarter acre. You live in the house and use the land to do any number of side hustles to generate cash.

You can keep chicken and supply eggs, keep goats and sell goat-milk which goes for 200/- a liter and the demand is crazy high. You can raise pigs or raise trained guard-dogs for resale. Or put up a greenhouse. There's tons of opportunities to make money when u have the land. And that's un-taxed cash. You keep working on that side hustle and pretty soon, you're making more money from it that your salaried job.
God. Real Estate. Fast Cars. Hot Chicks. Philanthropy.
Swenani
#136 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 9:59:54 AM

LosAngeles~254 wrote:
Yes salaries are low in Kenya. There's only one way to get get ahead as I was telling my cuzo recently. Instead of renting that 15 or 17k flat in Kasarani, umo, etc....why not use that money to rent a house that has some land on it...even if it's an 1/8th or a quarter acre. You live in the house and use the land to do any number of side hustles to generate cash.

You can keep chicken and supply eggs, keep goats and sell goat-milk which goes for 200/- a liter and the demand is crazy high. You can raise pigs or raise trained guard-dogs for resale. Or put up a greenhouse. There's tons of opportunities to make money when u have the land. And that's un-taxed cash. You keep working on that side hustle and pretty soon, you're making more money from it that your salaried job.

Which places are these where one can get a compound on an 1/8th at 17K p.m?
Angelica _ann
#137 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:08:24 AM

Swenani wrote:
LosAngeles~254 wrote:

Which places are these where one can get a compound on an 1/8th at 17K p.m?

And why live like this in Nairobi and suburbs, Surely. Come join us in the county and do all that in acres & acres of land.
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
ayushnehra
#138 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:09:17 AM

tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:

You can avoid it by paying into a Pension Scheme. Sadly it will not give you access to the funds immediately but at least you can be sure at the end of time you will have access to these funds. Instead of it going to Corrupt hands or wasteful projects via the Government.
Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
ayushnehra
#139 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:24:06 AM

Ryko wrote:

The maths here is off.

2packets of Milk & 1 Bread is 200 box max * 15 days = 3k assuming you don't maliza a loaf daily, = 1.5k Saved

Why are you renting a 2 Bed? Why the expense of a second room? Assuming you have a flatmate or are subletting that cost is cut. = 5k Saved (assuming 1bed is 12k or even more savings if 2nd bed is paid for)

On a personal note, if times are rough and you don't give Sadaka, not sure Yesu will be annoyed not like he needs it anyway, remember god helps those who help themselves, first help yourself for a few years, later when in a more favourable position get back to it. = 1 k saved

You buy food at work 25 days but surely not travel all 30 days as shown below, 5 days of travel saved (200x5) = 1 k saved

So there you have 8k saved.

Dreams are not the thing you see in your sleep..it's the thing that doesn't let you sleep. - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
Swenani
#140 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2019 10:32:02 AM

ayushnehra wrote:
tinker wrote:
Swenani wrote:
Ryko wrote:

You can avoid it by paying into a Pension Scheme. Sadly it will not give you access to the funds immediately but at least you can be sure at the end of time you will have access to these funds. Instead of it going to Corrupt hands or wasteful projects via the Government.

Is that a wild suggestion?