Rankaz13 wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
mlennyma wrote:
@matatuman true I thankyou for the price guide

I would also appreciate, in the usual Wazua spirit, a price guide on KDH201 and KDH211K. CIF MSA and taxes will do.

Selling prices for KDH201V at the auctions currently averaging JPY 1.3M, add sales tax 8%, Freight, auction fees and bidders profit and you are looking at about USD 14500 cif. But I have seen some dealers doing 11500 not sure which market they are buying from. NB auction grade 3.5

Thanks @matatuman. $14,500 is circa 1,334,000/=. Import duty, Excise duty, port charges should be around 800,000/= which when added gives 2,134,000/=. That's a high figure. This makes my KDH200 valuable since similar ones are no longer being imported!

You will not sell the car if it is still parked at home. People in the business only buy cars that are on the road unless they are buying from a dealer. You should have gotten it compliant by now.

It's actually on the road though not compliant due to some silly mistakes/acts by my driver and SACCO officials. My SACCO withheld some info from me and my driver was slow in "surrendering" papers/docs to the SACCO.

Haiya!!d'oh! d'oh!

Yes, TLB bado. It was inspected and I believe under the current rules, the SACCO also has a duty in making it "compliant". Remember that if one van is not compliant it's like all are not! It's the SACCO's duty to present application for route licence to TLB.
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
matatuman
#522 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 12:35:54 PM

@Jerry: You are playing Russian roulette. The Sacco has no such obligation. It is your responsibility.

It is people like you who make it hard for the rest of us to operate. If you were operating with us I would personally make sure you are kicked out for operating a non compliant vehicle. No hard feelings it is just that the sooner you learn that this is an unforgiving business the better for you.
jerry
#523 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:22:58 PM

matatuman wrote:
@Jerry: You are playing Russian roulette. The Sacco has no such obligation. It is your responsibility.

This came up on "guidelines on licencing of low cqapacity PSVs Vehicles"
7. Saccos and Companies should present their license
applications for the vehicles they currently have in their
possession on or before 31st December 2014.
DIRECTOR GENERAL
matatuman
#524 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:02:27 PM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

It is people like you who make it hard for the rest of us to operate. If you were operating with us I would personally make sure you are kicked out for operatinirg a non compliant vehicle. No hard feelings it is just that the sooner you learn that this is an unforgiving business the better for you.

This came up on "guidelines on licencing of low cqapacity PSVs Vehicles"
7. Saccos and Companies should present their license
applications for the vehicles they currently have in their
possession on or before 31st December 2014.
DIRECTOR GENERAL

Read the entire gazzette notice and ask someone else to interprete it for you.
Prime
#525 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:05:35 PM

Hi jerry,
You mean the vehicle you brought in at the beginning of last year is yet to obtain a TLB? Jerry I honestly think you now need to start taking things in your own hands. The sacco is just a body. If they own a vehicle and it is grounded for a few days, the pain will never belong to an individual. Similarly if they drag their feet in getting you a TLB, trust me they dont feel the pain. There are so many KCBs that acquired their RSLs towards the end of the year. I also brought in a second unit that arrived on 10th nov and by dec 14th it was on the road. I think you need to now do sth by yourself. The overall responsibility for having the vehicle on the road sorely lies on you.
jerry
#526 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:54:41 PM

Prime wrote:
Hi jerry,
You mean the vehicle you brought in at the beginning of last year is yet to obtain a TLB? Jerry I honestly think you now need to start taking things in your own hands. The sacco is just a body. If they own a vehicle and it is grounded for a few days, the pain will never belong to an individual. Similarly if they drag their feet in getting you a TLB, trust me they dont feel the pain. There are so many KCBs that acquired their RSLs towards the end of the year. I also brought in a second unit that arrived on 10th nov and by dec 14th it was on the road. I think you need to now do sth by yourself. The overall responsibility for having the vehicle on the road sorely lies on you.

It's on the road! I'm however getting tied of the whole idea of running matatu biz. I don't have all that time of monitoring and pushing pple. I had applied for 600k in my SACCO which was approved (450k)on Sarturday but the cheque will be ready after a month.
matatuman
#527 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 8:59:55 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Hi jerry,

It's on the road! I'm however getting tied of the whole idea of running matatu biz. I don't have all that time of monitoring and pushing pple. I had applied for 600k in my SACCO which was approved (450k)on Sarturday but the cheque will be ready after a month.

matatuman
#528 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:08:32 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Hi jerry,

With that attitude, I would advice you to either sell the car before it turns you into a pauper or pray really hard every day. Shit happens sometimes.
Rankaz13
#529 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:55:58 PM

jerry wrote:
Prime wrote:
Hi jerry,

That's an unnecessary risk mblo. The vehicle belongs to you, not the SACCO. about time you took matters into your own hands. Kama unahisi umechoka, uza tu roho safi and invest in an alternative type of business.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
jerry
#530 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 11:32:30 PM

@matatuman,@Rankaz13, You are almost getting my point now! Thanks
kaka2za
#531 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:57:21 AM

jerry wrote:
@matatuman,@Rankaz13, You are almost getting my point now! Thanks

Point is you will soon be in trouble.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
mlennyma
#532 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 10:32:03 AM

@matatuman from your experience which is better, a 14 seater manual or automatic 14 seater?
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
matatuman
#533 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:45:15 PM

mlennyma wrote:
@matatuman from your experience which is better, a 14 seater manual or automatic 14 seater?

It doesn't matter. The cheapest is always the best for the job. All factors held constant.
Prime
#534 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 6:12:24 PM

mlennyma wrote:

Sorry to hijack matatumans question... If you can then go for a manual. Reason being as follows:
1. first and most important is that you will one day need to sell the matatu. An old manual mat will be off the shelve much faster than an auto mat, and will certainly sell at a much higher price.
2. Consumption for a manual vehicle tends to be slightly better, coupled with better power. Quite a number of automatics become sluggish and suffer loss of power upon aging. Majority of the mats on our route even find a hill like kambiti on the meru-nairobi highway troublesome. Majority of nguruwes (townace/liteace) came as autos but have had their transmission changed to manual.
3. Driving patterns. Sad but the fact of the matter is that our drivers just do not know how to drive automatics. They will rev the mats crazy trying to get the same prformance as manuals, and in an attempt to save on fuel they will coast downhill.

Now to the paradox. My second mat is an auto. and so far so good. I did not have sufficient cash to do a manual so i opted for an auto diesel. Fuel is just higher than the manual by around 200 per day over a distance of around 260 km. So far so good. Im not worried much about resale since im in it for the long haul. I try to be very regular in maintenance and with superior products. Driving patterns... working on it with my driver. Gradual acceleration, stopping the acceleration if he anticipates to brake ahead etc.
mlennyma
#535 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:05:35 PM

Prime wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

Sorry to hijack matatumans question... If you can then go for a manual. Reason being as follows:
1. first and most important is that you will one day need to sell the matatu. An old manual mat will be off the shelve much faster than an auto mat, and will certainly sell at a much higher price.
2. Consumption for a manual vehicle tends to be slightly better, coupled with better power. Quite a number of automatics become sluggish and suffer loss of power upon aging. Majority of the mats on our route even find a hill like kambiti on the meru-nairobi highway troublesome. Majority of nguruwes (townace/liteace) came as autos but have had their transmission changed to manual.
3. Driving patterns. Sad but the fact of the matter is that our drivers just do not know how to drive automatics. They will rev the mats crazy trying to get the same prformance as manuals, and in an attempt to save on fuel they will coast downhill.

Now to the paradox. My second mat is an auto. and so far so good. I did not have sufficient cash to do a manual so i opted for an auto diesel. Fuel is just higher than the manual by around 200 per day over a distance of around 260 km. So far so good. Im not worried much about resale since im in it for the long haul. I try to be very regular in maintenance and with superior products. Driving patterns... working on it with my driver. Gradual acceleration, stopping the acceleration if he anticipates to brake ahead etc.

thanx bigtime
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
matatuman
#536 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:33:06 PM

mlennyma wrote:
Prime wrote:
mlennyma wrote:

thanx bigtime

@Prime: Valid points, it does depend on the driver alot. I have a petrol van that incidentally matches the consumption of my 5Ls one for one. Same consumption over a distance of approx 320Km.
tobiasbolo
#537 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 1:04:02 AM

HI WAZUANS
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS POST SINCE 2010 WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSTED.I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INTEREST IN OWNING A MATATU BUT DUE TO MANY REASONS IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.
FINALLY I IMPORTATED NISSAN CARAVAN 2007 AUTO FROM JAPAN AND JUST FIXED THE SEATS.
BY DAY I LEARN THERE ARE SO MUCH INVOLVED BY I DONT MIND TAKING TIME TO MEET THE DEMANDS, I HAVE A JOB THERE IS NOT SO MUCH PRESSURE TO PAY BACK THE CAR.

I AM INTERESTED IN TAKING IT TO KISUMU ROUTE, TOWN SERVICE, THE ROAD IS GOOD AND SHORTER DISTANCE COMPARED TO NAIROBI OR KISUMU TO LONGER DISTANCE LIKE KURIA/BUSIA OR KAKAMEGA... BUT TOWN SERIVICE IS MY INTEREST.

I ALSO WANT TO QUIT JOB TO MANAGE IT AND SEE IT GROW BIG, BEING EMPLOYED NI KAZI NGUMU.

ANY ADVICE FROM YOU GREAT PEOPLE.
Rankaz13
#538 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:00:31 AM

tobiasbolo wrote:
HI WAZUANS
I HAVE BEEN READING THIS POST SINCE 2010 WHEN IT WAS FIRST POSTED.I HAVE ALWAYS HAD INTEREST IN OWNING A MATATU BUT DUE TO MANY REASONS IT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.
FINALLY I IMPORTATED NISSAN CARAVAN 2007 AUTO FROM JAPAN AND JUST FIXED THE SEATS.
BY DAY I LEARN THERE ARE SO MUCH INVOLVED BY I DONT MIND TAKING TIME TO MEET THE DEMANDS, I HAVE A JOB THERE IS NOT SO MUCH PRESSURE TO PAY BACK THE CAR.

I AM INTERESTED IN TAKING IT TO KISUMU ROUTE, TOWN SERVICE, THE ROAD IS GOOD AND SHORTER DISTANCE COMPARED TO NAIROBI OR KISUMU TO LONGER DISTANCE LIKE KURIA/BUSIA OR KAKAMEGA... BUT TOWN SERIVICE IS MY INTEREST.

I ALSO WANT TO QUIT JOB TO MANAGE IT AND SEE IT GROW BIG, BEING EMPLOYED NI KAZI NGUMU.

It's bad manners to shout when we are within earshot buana!smile smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
jerry
#539 Posted : Saturday, January 24, 2015 9:44:59 AM

Rankaz13 wrote:
tobiasbolo wrote:
HI WAZUANS

It's bad manners to shout when we are within earshot buana!smile smile

@tobiasbolo might not get you@Rankaz13. Using caps is considered rude.
Kipkorir
#540 Posted : Friday, January 30, 2015 1:42:44 PM

Good afternoon my friends. Kindly help me on how I can get a genuine starter for Toyota shark 5l. Rankaz, matatuman etc kindly sort me out.

thank you
pkn