wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Determining best fluids for your car
ulemsee
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:45:35 PM

I have been going through my car owner's manual (although my car model is a Japan model and only appears in the Japanese language manual.

There are oils that have been recommended for various parts e.g. ATF, engine oil etc., which are not locally available (maybe unless at the dealership/stealership). I have had that some of these oils that are sold at service stations can do and I am just wondering how one determines what alternative fluid that they may use in place of what's been recommended in the service manuals. An example is that I have been told that I can buy some ATF at Total petrol stations for a 2007 Mazda Axela. I trust the person who has told me that, but I would really like to know how they arrived at that conclusion. Is it that fluids which may be used on the same car have some code in common ama?

Same applies for steering fluid and engine oil.

Somebody school me Anxious
Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
― George Carlin
kalenjinherdsboy
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:38:48 PM

ulemsee wrote:
I have been going through my car owner's manual (although my car model is a Japan model and only appears in the Japanese language manual.

There are oils that have been recommended for various parts e.g. ATF, engine oil etc., which are not locally available (maybe unless at the dealership/stealership). I have had that some of these oils that are sold at service stations can do and I am just wondering how one determines what alternative fluid that they may use in place of what's been recommended in the service manuals. An example is that I have been told that I can buy some ATF at Total petrol stations for a 2007 Mazda Axela. I trust the person who has told me that, but I would really like to know how they arrived at that conclusion. Is it that fluids which may be used on the same car have some code in common ama?

These oils are standardised globally so you should not have any challenges locally.

For example engine oil comes with a grade number something like 10W-40 and for brake fluid something like DOT3.

Those grade numbers are all published in the user manual.
Kihara joni
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 5:56:37 PM

ulemsee wrote:

Do you read Japanese? anyway I think it's just the brand that is different otherwise the fluids used in Kenya are similar to those in Japan.
Njung'e
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 9:30:25 PM

What you see on Jap car manuals, especially on engine oils may be misleading.The oils used in Japan are less viscous due to nature of their climate.The same cannot be said of tropical Africa.It's advisable then once you import a Jap car, to drain their standard 10w-40 and fill up with the more viscous 15w-40. Secondly,Jap cars are not as choosy as their European counterparts (if i may) when it comes to ATF and engine oils.You can pick on any known brand and be good to go.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
kalenjinherdsboy
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 10:30:36 PM

Njung'e wrote:
What you see on Jap car manuals, especially on engine oils may be misleading.The oils used in Japan are less viscous due to nature of their climate.The same cannot be said of tropical Africa.It's advisable then once you import a Jap car, to drain their standard 10w-40 and fill up with the more viscous 15w-40. Secondly,Jap cars are not as choosy as their European counterparts (if i may) when it comes to ATF and engine oils.You can pick on any known brand and be good to go.

A modern engine doesn't need more viscous engine oil, stick to the manufacturer specifications for peace of mind.
Njung'e
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:50:00 AM

Laughing out loudly ..Ignorance!.I am sure i shouldn't be laughing but neither do i want to cry.It's my BD you know!!smile ...Anyway,stick to what you know!
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
MaichBlack
#7 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2015 7:27:18 AM

Njung'e wrote:
Laughing out loudly ..Ignorance!.I am sure i shouldn't be laughing but neither do i want to cry.It's my BD you know!!smile ...Anyway,stick to what you know!

Happy 125th Birthday @guka!!!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
mucheminjagih
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 22, 2015 7:02:49 PM

Engine oil you can use any from shell, total or oilibya. But for ATF use the one specified on the deep stick. For reference on garage issues contact Njaginephat@gmail.com
ulemsee
#9 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2015 1:55:12 PM

Thanks mucheminjagih. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of garage issues are these?
Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
― George Carlin