wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages«<234
Unprofessional ISPs
madhaquer
#61 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 11:36:21 AM

@holycow there is a hard reset button that resets the damn thing to default in less than two minutes.
Again a soho should be least worried about the network devices and focus on securing the boxes that hold critical data.
nakujua
#62 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 12:11:44 PM

Speculz wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Speculz wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Speculz wrote:
nakujua wrote:
I think I am looking at the current scenario from a biased point of view, yes it's good to secure your router - lakini the alarm created is needless, for a typical installation supporting pcs and mobile devices - there is nothing to be worried about even if by chance someone managed to log into your router, a logger can not be installed on your pc via the router nor can your files be stolen via the same.

But I am not an IT expert, so not in a position of authority to discuss access via the router, through the ftp server on the router to your pictures folder on your pc.

Actually you should be very concerned ... once someone has access to your router especially one which has vpn capability, port forwarding etc they can create havoc on your network, open back doors and all manner of horrors on your network

. Intruder is able to see all connected devices, thus can check for all running services , if a vulnerability is found they can easily push a script on your devices and that's it , next time you double click on what you think is Microsoft word ....

Lets all be responsible and just be sure to ask your installer for all your credentials and change them.

Be sure to change

1. Wifi SSID ( wireless network name ) and password ...most likely they use the same all over

2. router management credentials ( most devices come with a friendly explanation on the right that explains what each setting does )

as I said I think I am biased, smile but honestly, how on earth will the intruder place a script on your pc via the router that looks like ms word

and how will vpn and port forwarding enable them to cause havoc on your android, ios windows 8 home network.

the alarm is uncalled for, if you can secure your router go ahead it advisable - but its nothing I would loose sleep over if someone managed to log into my home router

:) Nakujua im not an expert either but, simple scenario ,

The person will create a vpn network on your router , join your network with his machine, scan your network for vulnerabilities or known exploits, use the same , most of us do not have important data BUT , he could also sniff your network and initiate a man in the middle attack , as you connect to your internet banking .... :) as I said mimi si expert so maybe no cause for alarm :)

my whole concern with all this exploits, man in the middle, hacking, creating vpns and somehow managing to make all the pcs on the network join in that vpn, is that its causing alarm for nothing.

for a kawaida home setup there is nothing to worry about, you are better off worrying about the sites you visit, and updating your antivirus - especially if you are using ms windows nodes.

its easy walking along hapo mutindawa in umoja, marveling at the beautiful sofas, seeing all the flimsy mbao structures they are stored in at night, but its another thing altogether tying stealing those sofas.

:) Haya . How about if ... you get a job as a guard at those mbao structures, and one night ... you make of with the sofas? Anyway I rest my case :)

Btw Zuku connects a lot of businesses ....

trust me stealing those sofas is not a walk in the park - smile

as for businesses, now thats another discussion - too many parameters come in, do you have a db server, do you allow ssh access to your servers, do you run a web server, a mail server do you connections online sit behind a proxy - lakini thats a different level.

For a home setup or other basic simple setups - a router password is not something that I would loose sleep over, or that would consume much of my energy, but there are some IT folks who benefit from such alarms.
Gordon Gekko
#63 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:09:06 PM

My Zuku is for TV, fixed line service and WiFi for the family (they browse with their phones). I assume I'm an average Joe, where is my risk?
I know Zuku markets itself as a home entertainment outfit, unlike faimba and the green monster. So if one uses Zuku for serious business, they shouldn't hold Zuku to account.
That said, post your smoking gun and I will be knocking on Bell's office at Gateway sooner faster than you can say "vulnerability"
Uhondo
#64 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:26:37 PM

The ignorance of posters on this thread is what's really alarming. There are thousands of tools online which can be used to sniff the contents of all the packets (read:data) traversing your network. This can easily be accomplished once an attacker gains access to your router. But here's the best part: the motto for hackers is not to leave any trace of penetration. Most of you commenting about insecure routers not being a big deal have already probably been hacked, and the attackers found nothing of real importance. If you were corporates you would be spending big money by now to secure your network so as to prevent any more leakage of corporate data (loss of money). But i rest my case; we never really grasp the enormity of something until it hits us.
Ash Ock
#65 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 8:49:41 PM

Uhondo wrote:
The ignorance of posters on this thread is what's really alarming. There are thousands of tools online which can be used to sniff the contents of all the packets (read:data) traversing your network. This can easily be accomplished once an attacker gains access to your router. But here's the best part: the motto for hackers is not to leave any trace of penetration. Most of you commenting about insecure routers not being a big deal have already probably been hacked, and the attackers found nothing of real importance. If you were corporates you would be spending big money by now to secure your network so as to prevent any more leakage of corporate data (loss of money). But i rest my case; we never really grasp the enormity of something until it hits us.

Our collective short term memory. Just the other day we read this:

Kenya arrests 77 Chinese nationals in cybercrime raids

And we have already forgotten the whole thing even though till today we still have no idea what they were up too........
Sent from my Black Nokia 3310
kalenjinherdsboy
#66 Posted : Wednesday, January 07, 2015 9:17:19 PM

Uhondo wrote:
The ignorance of posters on this thread is what's really alarming.

It is excusable, this is public forum open to all.

Uhondo wrote:

There are thousands of tools online which can be used to sniff the contents of all the packets (read:data) traversing your network.

I believe wireshark is still the industry standard for capturing network packets.

Uhondo wrote:

This can easily be accomplished once an attacker gains access to your router.

Access to a router is not required to intercept traffic. Infact the NSA leaks show that its more practical to attack the ISP or fibre optic landing points i.e. upstream attacks.

Uhondo wrote:

But here's the best part: the motto for hackers is not to leave any trace of penetration.

No comment!

Uhondo wrote:

Most of you commenting about insecure routers not being a big deal have already probably been hacked, and the attackers found nothing of real importance.

This makes no sense, nobody does kazi ya bure.

Uhondo wrote:

If you were corporates you would be spending big money by now to secure your network so as to prevent any more leakage of corporate data (loss of money). But i rest my case; we never really grasp the enormity of something until it hits us.

You'd be surprised to learn corporate leaders are actually quite ignorant on matters IT. Attacks are hushed up and rarely reported to the public.
evroza
#67 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 12:31:42 AM

Guys, I think you underestimate the power of having control of someone's router. Phishing could be one but that aside.
Be me. I know fibre is provided in the posh neighborhoods. These guys are the money bags and also the greater chunk of online shoppers in Kenya. They probably also access their local bank accounts from their computer, I mean why have fibre?
Now, let's say I change your DNS servers to one I control. I'm patient so I'll do the harvesting over a couple of weeks, to net more people. I'll get something like Firefox that is open source and I could easily repackage. Wait until you decide to update and I feed you a backdoor version I have packaged with a little something extra.
I assume the guys on fibre are not stingy with bandwidth - so this shouldn't take me more than a month to net atleast a quarter of the neighborhood. Let the loggers do their job. Then one weekend, in one big swoop - I clear your accounts all transferred to a foreign account and converted to bitcoin. How rich am I? The Chinese nabbed here a few weeks ago were here on so to speak, a 'business trip'. They can create tools to bypass their great firewall. Anyone want to state the figure of amount lost last year in Cyber crime? It's big business. Don't get ideas, or do... I'm not the one with an insecure router.
kalenjinherdsboy
#68 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 7:57:43 AM

evroza wrote:
Guys, I think you underestimate the power of having control of someone's router. Phishing could be one but that aside.
Be me. I know fibre is provided in the posh neighborhoods. These guys are the money bags and also the greater chunk of online shoppers in Kenya. They probably also access their local bank accounts from their computer, I mean why have fibre?
Now, let's say I change your DNS servers to one I control. I'm patient so I'll do the harvesting over a couple of weeks, to net more people. I'll get something like Firefox that is open source and I could easily repackage. Wait until you decide to update and I feed you a backdoor version I have packaged with a little something extra.
I assume the guys on fibre are not stingy with bandwidth - so this shouldn't take me more than a month to net atleast a quarter of the neighborhood. Let the loggers do their job. Then one weekend, in one big swoop - I clear your accounts all transferred to a foreign account and converted to bitcoin. How rich am I? The Chinese nabbed here a few weeks ago were here on so to speak, a 'business trip'. They can create tools to bypass their great firewall. Anyone want to state the figure of amount lost last year in Cyber crime? It's big business. Don't get ideas, or do... I'm not the one with an insecure router.

SMH, any modern browser would reject the attacks you theorise. PKI to reject visits to fraudulent sites and two factor account authentication against phishing attacks.

The scare mongering persists?
geofreygachie
#69 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:27:11 AM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
evroza wrote:

SMH, any modern browser would reject the attacks you theorise. PKI to reject visits to fraudulent sites and two factor account authentication against phishing attacks.

The scare mongering persists?

Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
madhaquer
#70 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 9:31:26 AM

evroza wrote:

We already looked at this angle previously in the thread. If you are going to initiate a mitm attack or any decent hijack, just go do it nearer to the data source where you can net more fish. Why settle for one account when you can harvest thousands?
The real gold is sitting elsewhere

evroza
#71 Posted : Thursday, January 08, 2015 10:00:53 AM

Link: disconnected.io/2014/03/18/how-i-hacked-your-router/