wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages123>»
Unprofessional ISPs
geofreygachie
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2014 6:08:14 PM

Do you have cable connection or WIMAX at home or office?
Please review your security settings or seek help from an IT techie to resolve this loop hole.If you think i am joking and you are on ZUKU fiber let me know and i will prove my claim.
I have been going through IT security and we are vulnerable if you doubt visit www.shodan.io and learn more.
I have prepared all the information and materials that i need to help Zuku style up as from start of next week.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
Gordon Gekko
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 01, 2015 5:21:10 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
Please review your security settings or seek help from an IT techie to resolve this loop hole.If you think i am joking and you are on ZUKU fiber let me know and i will prove my claim.
I have been going through IT security and we are vulnerable if you doubt visit www.shodan.io and learn more.
I have prepared all the information and materials that i need to help Zuku style up as from start of next week.

I have a Zuku connection. The site you gave was Greek with a sprinkling of Japanese.
Kindly provide the 'information and materials' and I will be at zuku's head office on Monday morning.
geofreygachie
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 03, 2015 9:30:57 PM

Gordon Gekko wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

I have a Zuku connection. The site you gave was Greek with a sprinkling of Japanese.
Kindly provide the 'information and materials' and I will be at zuku's head office on Monday morning.

I intend to forward the info to Zuku and if needed prove the exploits to them.If you are on Zuku cable connection and want me to test the exploit please google WHAT IS MY IP and post the IP address you will get and let me do the rest.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
kalenjinherdsboy
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 12:01:18 PM

geofreygachie wrote:

I intend to forward the info to Zuku and if needed prove the exploits to them.

So you are claiming there are security holes in their network?

geofreygachie wrote:

If you are on Zuku cable connection and want me to test the exploit please google WHAT IS MY IP and post the IP address you will get and let me do the rest.

You do know this will likely return the IP address for the service provider? Shame on you

Without any additional info from your end, it is hard to conclude anything credible. Liar

geofreygachie
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 2:44:49 PM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

If you are on Zuku cable connection and want me to test the exploit please google WHAT IS MY IP and post the IP address you will get and let me do the rest.

You do know this will likely return the IP address for the service provider? Shame on you

Without any additional info from your end, it is hard to conclude anything credible. Liar

If you are on Zuku triple play or zuku fiber just post the ip you will get and allow me to test and post the exploit.This way i will be able to prove my claims to wazuans if needed before i do the same to Zuku starting tomorrow.
nakujua
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 4:46:02 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

If you are on Zuku triple play or zuku fiber just post the ip you will get and allow me to test and post the exploit.This way i will be able to prove my claims to wazuans if needed before i do the same to Zuku starting tomorrow.

hata mimi nataka smile - 254.122.33.256, sawa do your magic
geofreygachie
#7 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 7:32:16 PM

nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

@Nakujua that is not a valid IP address.I tried pinging it and it doesn't go through and i am not sure if segment 254.XXX.XXX.XXX is owned by Zuku.Please visit this page and post you results here. http://www.whatismyip.com/
kalenjinherdsboy
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 8:38:41 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

@Nakujua that is not a valid IP address.I tried pinging it and it doesn't go through and i am not sure if segment 254.XXX.XXX.XXX is owned by Zuku.Please visit this page and post you results here. http://www.whatismyip.com/

Looks like NAT is a foreign concept to you. Home users rarely if ever get unique IPs from the service provider.

Give us something credible if we are to believe your claims.
geofreygachie
#9 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 10:01:57 PM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

Looks like NAT is a foreign concept to you. Home users rarely if ever get unique IPs from the service provider.

Really ??? Watch this post starting tomorrow and i will prove you wrong on this.
kalenjinherdsboy
#10 Posted : Sunday, January 04, 2015 10:35:31 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

Really ??? Watch this post starting tomorrow and i will prove you wrong on this.

How can I take you seriously after claiming that you tried to ping an address in the 254 IP range?

Kesho ni siku, we shall see what you have.
Takeshi
#11 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 11:09:38 AM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

How can I take you seriously after claiming that you tried to ping an address in the 254 IP range?

Geofrey I think isps provide IPs dynamically each time you connect for browsing and this IPs are usually private ips then "NATED" to an external IP through the ISP's gateway. Therefore the IP you obtain during browsing may not be visible from the public network.
nakujua
#12 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 11:32:53 AM

Takeshi wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

Geofrey I think isps provide IPs dynamically each time you connect for browsing and this IPs are usually private ips then "NATED" to an external IP through the ISP's gateway. Therefore the IP you obtain during browsing may not be visible from the public network.

pinging 254.122.33.256 raises lots of questions on the part of the individual doing it, I just intended it as an IT joke. smile
geofreygachie
#13 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 11:34:20 AM

Takeshi wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
nakujua wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:
kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

geofreygachie wrote:

I have already engaged Zuku on my claims,I sent them an email and had a long conversation with their customer care this morning.I don't want to post my exploit here without the consent of Zuku account owner since whatever may happen afterwards since i will be held liable for publicly posting such.If you have Zuku triple play or Fiber connection and willing to let me show the exploit please post your Dynamic IP here.
Jus Blazin
#14 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 3:32:16 PM

I am trying to understand what you are talking about. Your posts are very vague. What do you mean unprofessional ISP? What if I gave you my IP address and you exploited me? Please post your claims/suspicions here in non-IT English please. That way, many Zuku users will understand what you are on.
Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity. ~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca
geofreygachie
#15 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 3:59:56 PM

Jus Blazin wrote:
I am trying to understand what you are talking about. Your posts are very vague. What do you mean unprofessional ISP? What if I gave you my IP address and you exploited me? Please post your claims/suspicions here in non-IT English please. That way, many Zuku users will understand what you are on.

For a long time now Zuku and their sub contractors(e.g Kenyacam) have been setting up clients and not advising them on how to secure their(clients) network i.e by setting up SSID or WIFI security.Some clients have managed to change this SSID or WIFI to suit them and more secure.This however is just one part of basic security.Most of the routers have an option for remote access meaning that if i have the IP address assigned by Zuku i can go ahead and access the device from any location since most of them have the default username and password its quite easy to login.This backdoor access mostly affects Cisco EPC2425 router/gateway for those on the old Zuku network and Huawei HG8245 which are being used on the new Fiber network.
By someone having access to your router, a number of things can happen e.g change the DNS server in a way that all you traffic will go through a specific server and hence information from you router can be harvested this includes you logins and passwords and this is for everyone connected to the router.
Or petty people would change the password to your router and wifi locking you out though a router reset would resolve this.
I have contacted Zuku regarding this problem of default credentials but they have not responded.I have so far been able to test and verify my claim with close to fifty routers on Zuku network specifically Huawei HG8245.I am however sceptical on displaying someone's IP address because i dont have control of what will happen after that.I am posting this to help resolve this and not to be a source of pain and misery.
kalenjinherdsboy
#16 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 4:15:39 PM

geofreygachie wrote:

For a long time now Zuku and their sub contractors(e.g Kenyacam) have been setting up clients and not advising them on how to secure their(clients) network i.e by setting up SSID or WIFI security.Some clients have managed to change this SSID or WIFI to suit them and more secure.This however is just one part of basic security.Most of the routers have an option for remote access meaning that if i have the IP address assigned by Zuku i can go ahead and access the device from any location since most of them have the default username and password its quite easy to login.This backdoor access mostly affects Cisco EPC2425 router/gateway for those on the old Zuku network and Huawei HG8245 which are being used on the new Fiber network.
By someone having access to your router, a number of things can happen e.g change the DNS server in a way that all you traffic will go through a specific server and hence information from you router can be harvested this includes you logins and passwords and this is for everyone connected to the router.
Or petty people would change the password to your router and wifi locking you out though a router reset would resolve this.
I have contacted Zuku regarding this problem of default credentials but they have not responded.I have so far been able to test and verify my claim with close to fifty routers on Zuku network specifically Huawei HG8245.I am however sceptical on displaying someone's IP address because i dont have control of what will happen after that.I am posting this to help resolve this and not to be a source of pain and misery.

Something we can act upon.

This is certainly an issue and for sure SOHO routers are poorly built and configured. Pick any ISP anywhere and Im sure youll find similar security issues.

Funny enough the ISP is apparently not interested in resolving this issue.

As a technical guy my only advice is to always assume that your network is insecure.
geofreygachie
#17 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 4:36:43 PM

kalenjinherdsboy wrote:
geofreygachie wrote:

Something we can act upon.

This is certainly an issue and for sure SOHO routers are poorly built and configured. Pick any ISP anywhere and Im sure youll find similar security issues.

Funny enough the ISP is apparently not interested in resolving this issue.

As a technical guy my only advice is to always assume that your network is insecure.

I disagree with your assertion that TO ALWAYS ASSUME THAT YOUR NETWORK IS INSECURE i believe in setting up basic security first as first line of defense from basic IT techies like me who only have college education , imagine what would happen if a more learned techie with evil intentions got the access to the routers.
For the information the 124 routers that i have tested are confined to the posh areas namely Rossyln,Runda,Karen,Spring Valley these are the areas currently on Zuku GPON infrastructure.
Some worrying figure for you to think about.
I succeeded in testing the exploit on 74 Huawei routers out of a total of 124 routers on a specific Zuku IP segment.Isn't that worrying.I wish i would reach the customers in anonymous mode and send them details so they can pressure Zuku to act on this issue.
kalenjinherdsboy
#18 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 5:19:27 PM

geofreygachie wrote:

I disagree with your assertion that TO ALWAYS ASSUME THAT YOUR NETWORK IS INSECURE i believe in setting up basic security first as first line of defense from basic IT techies like me who only have college education , imagine what would happen if a more learned techie with evil intentions got the access to the routers.

Between manufacturers, ISPs, government agents and the bad guys the effort needed for a consumer to properly secure a network is very high.

Even with a secure configuration, routers are trivial to hack thanks to buggy and outdated firmware.
nakujua
#19 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 6:02:45 PM

I think the isp know what you term as an exploit, but whats the worst that can happen to a user who happens to have the default credentials on the router ?

mimi sioni cause for alarm, its like standing on the road hapo athi river pulling out a pair of binoculars then looking through them and you see that gated estate hapo and then claiming you have found a security exploit, since a thief can do the same. smile
geofreygachie
#20 Posted : Monday, January 05, 2015 6:49:18 PM

nakujua wrote:
I think the isp know what you term as an exploit, but whats the worst that can happen to a user who happens to have the default credentials on the router ?

mimi sioni cause for alarm, its like standing on the road hapo athi river pulling out a pair of binoculars then looking through them and you see that gated estate hapo and then claiming you have found a security exploit, since a thief can do the same. smile

What if using the binoculars you note that the gate and main door to House No X has a faulty padlock which is pulled to unlock and pushed to lock just that.Tafakari hayo.Endless possibilities.
Anyway with one having access to you router ,traffic(think all credentials, business emails and conversation) can be redirected to a rogue DNS server and within no time your email account is not accessible you pc is infected with a keylogger that notes every stroke of the keyboard.Endless possibilities.