Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

10 Pages«<45678>»
SHOCKED - Less than 15,000 Nairobian's earning above 100k
Rankaz13
#101 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 9:01:49 PM

its2013 wrote:
Now I see why my insurance agent treats me like family smile

smile smile
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
icecube
#102 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:42:11 AM

its2013 wrote:

Me too. We give them income for life.
icecube
#103 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 7:45:00 AM

smano wrote:
icecube wrote:
smano wrote:
Just seen this thread.

I'm in the insurance business and around 200 - 300 of our agents make at least over Ksh.100k in commissions every month. When you compare that with the number of agents we have ( just around 2,000 agents) then that figure of 15,000 sounds feasible. I was surprised to find out from the Haas Consult property survey that there are only 20,000 mortgages being serviced in Kenya - I thought it was a typo and that they meant 200,000!

Just goes to show you the disparity there is in this country...

Hey, in your insurance business, are these agents earning over Ksh100k in commissions per month because they bring in new clients per month or they earn the commissions on monthly premiums paid? or Even if they don't bring in any new clients?

Wololo!!! Poleni sana, I totally forgot about this and didn't think there was any interest..seems @Impunity knows me well....in terms of the threads I contribute in the most.

Anyway, the most insurance companies in the country pay around 40% commission on premiums for every premium received.

In most scenarios, you'll earn 40% per premium for the first year, then 20% per premium for the 2nd year and maybe 10% year 4-5 and then 5% from year 5 to 10.

So you're basically earning for all previous biz and any new biz for as long as the client is paying premium.

If your client is a good client and pays premiums consistently for 1 year (12 months), we give you a 13th month persistency bonus (paid after 15 months, technicalities of when a policy is considered as lapsed). That 13th month persistency bonus is a percentage of all commissions earned in that 1 year, and there's also a 25th month and a 37th month bonus.

Ofcourse selling insurance is very challenging but the guys doing it very well are extremely successful. Remember tax is 10% withholding

Thanks for the info. So it seems like the agents earn commissions for any premium paid, new or old..
smano
#104 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:11:29 AM

Yes @icecube...then there are those times you get a business man who likes paying annually because of the nature of the business...so you get a guy paying like 250k per month x 12 = 3M, the agent makes a cool 1.2M before 10% withholding tax. It has happened a few times with some of the top agents.

Then there are those guys who are able to snatch a big corporate group medical or group life account from a broker. Let's just say the commission there can set you up for life if well invested. Those ones are few and far in between.

So in short ladies and gentlemen, you can make a pretty decent sum selling insurance - if you have dogged determination, are persistent like a rash, and have hunger for money. I've seen guys who have been retrenched come here and make more money in 2 years than they did in 10. Holla if you're that type of person, I can give you more details.
BEER IS LIVING PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!
icecube
#105 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:20:36 AM

smano wrote:
Yes @icecube...then there are those times you get a business man who likes paying annually because of the nature of the business...so you get a guy paying like 250k per month x 12 = 3M, the agent makes a cool 1.2M before 10% withholding tax. It has happened a few times with some of the top agents.

Then there are those guys who are able to snatch a big corporate group medical or group life account from a broker. Let's just say the commission there can set you up for life if well invested. Those ones are few and far in between.

So in short ladies and gentlemen, you can make a pretty decent sum selling insurance - if you have dogged determination, are persistent like a rash, and have hunger for money. I've seen guys who have been retrenched come here and make more money in 2 years than they did in 10. Holla if you're that type of person, I can give you more details.

Where?
Swenani
#106 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 8:47:32 AM

icecube wrote:
its2013 wrote:

commission of 40% is quite huge even if its in the first year only..wah!!!!!
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
smano
#107 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:33:23 AM

icecube wrote:
smano wrote:

Where?

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

The insurance company that has had a thematic campaign in every media for the past couple of months....aaiii!
webish
#108 Posted : Tuesday, September 23, 2014 9:51:12 AM

Swenani wrote:
icecube wrote:
its2013 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder, do they have targets which are time based? And which, if not met, they get penalized? like in general sales oriented organizations?

Or is it a matter of, whatever you bring, is what you get commision from?

What about retainer? (or is it pure commisions!).

Life is joy, death is peace, but the transition is very difficult.
smano
#109 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 8:02:15 AM

webish wrote:
Swenani wrote:
icecube wrote:
its2013 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder, do they have targets which are time based? And which, if not met, they get penalized? like in general sales oriented organizations?

Or is it a matter of, whatever you bring, is what you get commision from?

What about retainer? (or is it pure commisions!).

Tied agents have targets and benefits tied to sales numbers. Independent agents don't.

There's no retainer, maybe some brief initial support for tied agents.
mv_ufanisi
#110 Posted : Tuesday, December 16, 2014 3:53:03 PM

Figures from <a href="http://www.businessdailyafrica.com/Company%20Industry/Treasury%20eases%20workers%20tax%20burden%20%20/-/539550/885376/-/view/printVersion/-/15f8380z/-/index.html> BD </a> show that 3.7% of 1.2m workers earn more than 120,000 Kes a month. That is about 44,000 workers. We can safely assume that more than 20,000 of them are Nairobians so this should answer this question once and for all.
kiterunner
#111 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:04:23 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
Earning less than 500k a month in Nairobi means you're still stuck. You should aim to make atleast 800k a month - spend 400k save 400k.

dreaming is allowed, when you come back to earth you will find alot of people in Nairobi living decently with 70k gross without a significant side hustle. Rent 10 to 20k and they still make ends meet.

You 300k and 800k guys calling everyone else a hustler have lost touch with reality of the country you live in. You sound very alien to me
our goals are best achieved indirectly
kiterunner
#112 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:19:31 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Ali Baba wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Dod wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Rollout wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
Earning less than 500k a month in Nairobi means you're still stuck. You should aim to make atleast 800k a month - spend 400k save 400k.

Even VP JP morgan in downtown NYC do not take hope Kshs 800k a month, for anyone to take home Kshs 800k a month ($10k/Month) you have to be making over $200k a year, senior Director Global strategy at Microsoft in Seattle make just about $200k a year!

These kind of earnings are not available to employees. You have to be an owner.

Making even 1M net per month is easy. But not when you are just an employee.

share the secret (not the Rhonda Byrne one)
If we share the secret,you will drive us out of business.Even coca cola doesnt share Its secret formular with rivals.Sorry,just come up with your own secret ....

Since you have denied me the opportunity to be amongst the less than 15,000 would you please allow me to speculate,

your name betrays you, ali baba and the 40 ...
just a light touch smile

This is the problem with Kenyan education. You want to be spoon fed the answer. And someone to show up and tell you - do xyz and you'll make more than 800k a month. You'll be stuck a long time if you can't use your creativity and imagination and take a few risks.

kiterunner
#113 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 12:35:25 AM

Rollout wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:
nakujua wrote:
Lolest! wrote:
Marine Vessel Ufanisi...your name betrays yousmile

Laughing out loudly - the secret is with mv_australia.

The secret is being able to get things done. There are too many lazy, cowardly, ignorant, all talk, all fun, no work, happy go lucky kind of people in Kenya who can't get anything done to save their lives. The few that make it are the ones that can make a plan, take a job from A to Z and get it done quickly and elegantly.
The problem with growing up in a poor country like Kenya is that most people have a scarcity mentality. They think that the only way to make it is through some monkey business like stealing govt money, drugs, "devil" worship or something superstitious/illegal/immoral. So they sit back and watch foreigners come to their country and show them how to get things done.
First step to success is get rid of the scarcity mentality. This country has enough resources to enable every citizen have a high standard of life. Second step take responsibility for yourself - stop blaming others for your plight. Next realize that you have a lot of resources lying dormant around you. Next, get things done, convert opportunities into profits. Use your brain and don't be so lazy.

Hey, honestly, you sound like you're dreaming, the reality is far from what you're implying.... "get things done?" It's more complex than that bro, I doubt if you've ever done anything outside of going to school because once you get out of school and start a business or get your first job then you'll understand how complex this things are.

the arrogance and attitude by this mv-ufanisi!!!

In 2011 the median income in the United kingdom is 21,000 USD which translates to around 160k per month in shillings. In the US the median income per household in 2014 was around 50,000 USD which translates to around 375,000 shillings per month. These are far more advanced economies than Kenya. I think its very condescending and snobbish to call those that earn less than 300k, or 500k or 800k lazy for not earning as much as you do. It is great you worked hard and make whatever you do but lets you common sense. How many people in the world earn that magic figure? Is everyone one who earns less than them lazy? Because they can go to Aga Khan for treatment and you can so you are better?

Wow I wish some of these guys tell us how much their parents earned and if they took them to Aga Khan or abroad for treatment to raise them. Or your parents were lazy too according to your newfound wealth?

Get realistic

Everyone works with the opportunites presented to them and people want different things in life. Not everyone will get the opporunity to be a millionaire and for their circumstances I wouldnt label them as lazy. Some people are happy in professional careers and a decent life and I aasure you you dont need millions to get that
dunkang
#114 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 7:00:25 AM

mv_ufanisi wrote:

Boss you must still be in high school or college. Reality out there is;
- with a population of ~40,000,000 persons, the labor force can be estimated at ~15,000,000 persons.

- Less than 0.5% of the estimated work force (75,000 persons) have an income of 100,000/- and above (income means Salaried, investments and businesses).

- ~25% (~3,750,000 persons) make less than 3,000/- a month. i.e. technically jobless.

- ~50% of Kenyans (<7,500,000) make between 10,000/- and 50,000/- a month.

@MV_Ufanisi, just finish school first and encounter the reality out here. Your bubble will be burst immediately.
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.” ― Rashi

kiterunner
#115 Posted : Wednesday, December 24, 2014 10:39:01 PM

dunkang wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

- with a population of ~40,000,000 persons, the labor force can be estimated at ~15,000,000 persons.

- Less than 0.5% of the estimated work force (75,000 persons) have an income of 100,000/- and above (income means Salaried, investments and businesses).

- ~25% (~3,750,000 persons) make less than 3,000/- a month. i.e. technically jobless.

@MV_Ufanisi, just finish school first and encounter the reality out here. Your bubble will be burst immediately.

I am shocked that a grown up would utter such rubbish. Bwana Ufanisi, get yourself a real education of what is going on in the real world.
mv_ufanisi
#116 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 7:09:35 PM

kiterunner wrote:
dunkang wrote:
mv_ufanisi wrote:

I am shocked that a grown up would utter such rubbish. Bwana Ufanisi, get yourself a real education of what is going on in the real world.

I'm going to take these comments in good faith and explain my rationale for making such a disturbing suggestion that: "Earning less than 500k a month in Nairobi means you're still stuck. You should aim to make atleast 800k a month - spend 400k save 400k."

First of all, these comments are made with the knowledge that this is to folks in Wazua: who are interested in serious talk about wealth. Not to the general population.

So this is a self selected community of people who are more keen on wealth and following that logic if we assumed that Wazua was a country its monthly salary will likely be a lot higher than in the general Kenyan population. Or to put it simply let's assume that Wazua is an elite institution such as Alliance High School where the average KCSE mean grade is an A-. This means that a person making a C in Alliance would likely be last (bottom percentile) whereas that person would be average or so in the general KCSE taking population.

My assumption in writing is that Wazuans are people who are not comfortable with being average and hence their extra effort in coming here to learn more about how to create wealth.

Let's tackle the country bias; people assume that because you're Kenyan you should be comfortable with having less and earning less than your American or British fellow world citizens. Also somehow it's implied that the country can't really support a mass of rich citizens; that wealth is scarce and only a few corrupt, greedy or such people will make more than average. I beg to differ.

But the country Kenya is rich with resources. A good experiment would be to evacuate all Kenyans from the country and bring in 40 million Americans or Japanese. Within less than a decade the income levels here would be at almost developed country levels. Simply put, there is nothing inherently wrong with the land on which we live or nothing in the air that makes us more poor than developed countries.

To prove the point, we have people who have become billionaires in this country - some of whom had much less education than a lot of Wazuans here.

So the problem seems to be more linked to lack of technology and know-how which leads to poor productivity and therefore poverty. It also seems to be linked to lack of ambition, proper planning as well as risk taking.

By virtue of you having access to a computer and the internet, it means the following; firstly, you can read and understand English, you know how to use a computer and you have access to the almost limitless information to be found on the internet. This puts you at a distinct advantage over most Kenyans and people in the world.

Jack Ma the founder of Alibaba says as follows;

You are poor because you have no ambition.

You are poor because you do not have the desire to become successful.

You are poor because you lack foresight.

You are poor because you cannot overcome your cowardice.

You are poor because you lack the courage and determination.

With ambition you can overcome all inferiority and maximise your potential!

With ambition you can persevere, continuously learn new things and strive for perfection.

With ambition you can defy all odds, and create miracles when others daren’t.

No matter how poor your family is, do not doubt your own abilities and lose sight of your ambition.

When your family deems you worthless, no one will pity you.

When your parents do not have money to pay the medical bills, no one will pity you.

When you are beaten by your competitors, no one will pity you.

When your loved ones abandon you, no one will pity you.

When you have not accomplished anything by the time you are 35, no one will pity you.

Go big, or go home. Otherwise, you’re wasting your youth.

Now you can take this as an attack on the genuinely hard working folks in Kenya or an attack on your ego. Or you can take that as a kick in the ass that makes you push yourself harder and become more productive. As usual, the choice is yours. My hope is that more Kenyans can achieve the African dream right here at home.

Boris Boyka
#117 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2014 9:29:40 PM

@mv ufanisi am now concerned too. are you implying that a wazuan who makes less than 300k in earnings is a failureShame on you not all wazuans have portfolios in 7 figure+ . anyone ever taught you hierarchy/distribution triangle/curve? it applies in all study cases of study of factors populations. what will be the earnings at top and bottom of triangle? we know that there are ppl earning more than 800k..those are very few..which appear on extreme..that can't be a standard measure of a population even on wazua. You havent justified how earnings of 300-800k by majority population are possibly achievable in an economy without financial crisis like idi amin and mugabe.Liar
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!
GITHUKUSM
#118 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2014 12:02:53 PM

@MV-Ufanisi thanks for the x-mas gift to most of us as you have put it " Or you can take that as a kick in the ass that makes you push yourself harder and become more productive".wish majority can take the positive aspect and push ourselves a little harder.Move out of the comfort zone,aspire higher and may be there at the end of 2015.
wangu.n
#119 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2014 6:07:15 PM

I dont understand how people keep on defending their low pay here. Is it that people are proud of their low pay? I dont earn 800k but I sure as hell would like to. The fact that there are many people who dont earn that is immaterial to me. The fact that there are people earning that means that it is possible and if it can happen to them then by God it shall happen to me as well.

Keep feeling insulted by Ufanisi and continue in your small life, just dont throw stones at those who wish to progress.
Boris Boyka
#120 Posted : Friday, December 26, 2014 11:35:05 PM

wangu.n wrote:
I dont understand how people keep on defending their low pay here. Is it that people are proud of their low pay? I dont earn 800k but I sure as hell would like to. The fact that there are many people who dont earn that is immaterial to me. The fact that there are people earning that means that it is possible and if it can happen to them then by God it shall happen to me as well.

Keep feeling insulted by Ufanisi and continue in your small life, just don't throw stones at those who wish to progress.

what is big life? what is low pay? people in zimbabwe,uganda once earned billions in salaries. So you believe "big" salary for average kenyans is worth. How does cost of living relate to salaries? 1000 bob in 90's could by you a whole trolley na change ibaki while 10k now haijazi trolley. You're the reasons our economy iko chida..hard mentality that high earnings and pay increases solve problems......you should THINK WISELY.
Everybody STEALS, a THIEF is one who's CAUGHT stealing something of LITTLE VALUE. !!!