wazua Sat, Apr 20, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages<123>
kengen full year profit up 3.3%
mlennyma
#21 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 11:36:25 AM

Anyone buying kengen must calculate the amount of cash for his purchase and set aside money to defend his rights...there however exists a window of quick gain if a miracle halts the rights.
"Don't let the fear of losing be greater than the excitement of winning."
Goldilocks Reloaded
#22 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:12:46 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Goldilocks Reloaded wrote:
Siuzi! This is my largest holding and I will take up all my rights and ask for excess.

I averaged up yesterday hoping to ride to 15 only for the poor show to spoil the party. Assessing the possibility of accumulating more this laggard.

Incidentally i also averaged up yesterday and I will be accumulating more as the soft-hearted fall off.
Go for a business that any idiot can run – because sooner or later, any idiot is probably going to run it – Peter Lynch
sparkly
#23 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 12:37:34 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Siuzi! This is my largest holding and I will take up all my rights and ask for excess.

I averaged up yesterday hoping to ride to 15 only for the poor show to spoil the party. Assessing the possibility of accumulating more this laggard.

Incidentally i also averaged up yesterday and I will be accumulating more as the soft-hearted fall off.

With a general bear starting at the NSE, reduced EPS of 1.29 and looming Rights issue, you are advised to keep your cheque book on hold. This thing will smell 7 bob soon.
Life is short. Live passionately.
Gatheuzi
#24 Posted : Friday, October 24, 2014 2:03:00 PM

subaru wrote:
Gatheuzi wrote:
10 bob is now eminent.

it seems it doesnt want to print my target is 9 bob

I managed to exit at 11.70. Shopping around for other buses.
Time is money, so money is time. Money saved is time gained in reverse! Money stores your life’s energy. You expend your energy, get paid money, and store that money for a future purchase made in a currency.
Pesa Nane
#25 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 6:15:58 PM

I don't remember a profit warning for this thing or?
Pesa Nane plans to be shilingi when he grows up.
MaichBlack
#26 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 7:03:58 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:

Seriousl!?? Why would there be a profit warning???? To warn people that the profit will increase by 3.3%??

A company is required to issue a warning if it anticipates that it financial performance is going to drop by more than 25%.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
littledove
#27 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:06:01 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

Seriousl!?? Why would there be a profit warning???? To warn people that the profit will increase by 3.3%??

A company is required to issue a warning if it anticipates that it financial performance is going to drop by more than 25%.

there is an article in the star newspaper which I don't know where they got their results from! I think that has misled someone.
'' KenGen stock plummets after profit dips
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 25, 2014 - 00:00 -- BY
JAMES WAITHAKA
KenGen’s share price at the NSE shed 11.2 per
cent on Friday to close at Sh11.50 a piece from
the previous day’s close of Sh12.95 after its net
profit nearly halved.
Supply was twice the demand at 1.72 million units
on the sell-side against 827,000 units on the buy-
side.
The electricity generator’s after-tax profit for the
period ended June 30 plummeted to Sh2.83 billion
from Sh5.23 billion in the previous year, a 45.9
per cent decline.''
There are only two emotions in the stock market, fear and hope. The problem is, you hope when you should fear and fear when you should hope
Pesa Nane
#28 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 8:59:05 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The PAT declined to Kshs. 2,827 Million from Kshs. 5,225 Million of the previous year. That's more than 25% drop, right?
MaichBlack
#29 Posted : Saturday, October 25, 2014 11:13:40 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

The PAT declined to Kshs. 2,827 Million from Kshs. 5,225 Million of the previous year. That's more than 25% drop, right?

That's a tricky one! Our CMA being who they are, I'm sure they were not specific if the rule applies to PAT or PBT!

Kengen's PBT rose marginally but PAT dropped due to lapse in tax breaks. Don't be suprised if CMA didn't anticipate such a scenario.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
murchr
#30 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 1:14:29 AM

MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

That's a tricky one! Our CMA being who they are, I'm sure they were not specific if the rule applies to PAT or PBT!

Kengen's PBT rose marginally but PAT dropped due to lapse in tax breaks. Don't be suprised if CMA didn't anticipate such a scenario.

Remember last years results included a tax rebate
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Pesa Nane
#31 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:35:16 AM

murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

@MaichBlack, PBT in this context would be meaningless. Just like saying profit before lease payment, salaries, expenses

@murchr, yeah I remember a tax credit of Kshs. 1,197 Million. How does that cancel out requirement for a profit warning?
murchr
#32 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 3:19:55 PM

Pesa Nane wrote:
murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

@MaichBlack, PBT in this context would be meaningless. Just like saying profit before lease payment, salaries, expenses

@murchr, yeah I remember a tax credit of Kshs. 1,197 Million. How does that cancel out requirement for a profit warning?

I think it was assumed that since the jump in profit last year was a one off event then there was no need of declaring a profit warning. If anything last years PBT went down.

My issue is that since they need the cash, they shouldn't have given dividends. a bonus would do
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
VituVingiSana
#33 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 2:26:53 AM

murchr wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
murchr wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:

I think it was assumed that since the jump in profit last year was a one off event then there was no need of declaring a profit warning. If anything last years PBT went down.

My issue is that since they need the cash, they shouldn't have given dividends. a bonus would do

KenGen should have sent out a Profit Warning. And the CMA, as usual, was busy sleeping on the job. Those seminars in Naivasha and Diani can be tiring.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Ericsson
#34 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 9:40:16 AM

@VituVingiSana
There is nothing to warrant a profit issue warning.
There was no more than 25% drop in the trading profits.
Growth was a 3.3%.
Tax credits are one off things which today they will be there and tomorrow missing
Wealth is built through a relatively simple equation
Wealth=Income + Investments - Lifestyle
VituVingiSana
#35 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 9:49:10 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.
Tax credits are one off things which today they will be there and tomorrow missing
OK, if you say so.
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
mwekez@ji
#36 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 11:02:15 AM

Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.

Reading Capital Markets (Securities)(Public Offers, Listing and Disclosure) Regulations, 2002

A profit warning should be issued in all cases where there is more than a 25% decline in earnings, which no exceptions.
Pesa Nane
#37 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 11:10:27 AM

VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.
OK, if you say so.

smile
Akenyan2014
#38 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 11:23:57 AM

Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.
OK, if you say so.

smile

Is it possible to know KEGN's NAV?
Aguytrying
#39 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 12:52:10 PM

Akenyan2014 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.
OK, if you say so.

smile

we'll its not home afrika, so yes. was 24.00 bob when I used to follow it 2yrs ago
The investor's chief problem - and even his worst enemy - is likely to be himself
VituVingiSana
#40 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:38:42 PM

Aguytrying wrote:
Akenyan2014 wrote:
Pesa Nane wrote:
VituVingiSana wrote:
Ericsson wrote:
@VituVingiSana
Growth was a 3.3%.
OK, if you say so.

smile

we'll its not home afrika, so yes. was 24.00 bob when I used to follow it 2yrs ago
The 'problem' with a utility's NAV is that hardly anyone will pay the full NAV/Book Value for the assets since the chance to earn a decent ROI [due to regulation] is limited vs a bank. The advantage utilities have is they can attract massive loans/leveraging since their cashflow is better than many businesses. The problem is the cost of the leveraging. In Kenya, when GoK give you 11% [tax-free] why would you take less than 14% pre-tax?