wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

47 Pages«<2223242526>»
Matatu Business
yosie14
#461 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 11:46:29 AM

Am told if you are new in a route,u have to 'see' all the D.T.O of the areas you operate in.They can then assure u of no harassment.
Saccos take hundreds of thousands every week to the cops on a regular basis also.
@matatuman pls confirm this
KCB,NMG,PAFR
kimiri
#462 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 4:27:49 PM

Hunderwear wrote:
Gentlemen n ladies of great wazua and matatu operators,how do you deal with overzealous police who are keen on frustrating your matatu?Mine has been targetted day in day out during peak hours.
Am almost unable to run the biz due to this.
Please advice

Hi Hunder. Which route is this? This bizz can be difficult if you are not able to co-exist with these ferras.
MuzeeMumonja
#463 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:16:53 PM

Gentlemen, between KCI, CFG and Dodi, who would you recommend as a better body builder for an NQR Minibus. By better I mean in terms of quality and longevity of the end product, value for money and price.
matatuman
#464 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 9:34:27 PM

yosie14 wrote:
Am told if you are new in a route,u have to 'see' all the D.T.O of the areas you operate in.They can then assure u of no harassment.
Saccos take hundreds of thousands every week to the cops on a regular basis also.

I disagree to some extent. You do not need cops on your payroll if you are compliant and don't break the rules. I.e excess passengers, crew in uniform, well maintained vehicles e.tc.

It is the fellows who bribe that make it hard for the rest of us to operate. But they bribe because they have flouted some rule or law. For us, hata ile 50bob that matatus give cops at road blocks hakuna, but the day driver wako anapatikana na excess or a defective vehicle, they take you to court.
And1589
#465 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:31:28 PM

Thankyou Ladies and Gentlemen on such resourceful information on this topic.

Am looking for suggestions on a sacco/Route to join/operate within Nairobi for a 33 seater NQR.
Hunderwear
#466 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 9:40:38 PM

matatuman wrote:
yosie14 wrote:

I disagree to some extent. You do not need cops on your payroll if you are compliant and don't break the rules. I.e excess passengers, crew in uniform, well maintained vehicles e.tc.

It is the fellows who bribe that make it hard for the rest of us to operate. But they bribe because they have flouted some rule or law. For us, hata ile 50bob that matatus give cops at road blocks hakuna, but the day driver wako anapatikana na excess or a defective vehicle, they take you to court.

@Matatuman,Thanks alot for your comments.I prescribe to that thought that u dont need police favour to operate.Truth be said though that if they target your car wataipata.How do u go about it once they arrest ur car n take u to court.Have they recommended inspection on ur car btw.They mainly say its multicolour yet they gave it a clean bill while issuing TLB
Rankaz13
#467 Posted : Sunday, September 28, 2014 10:48:40 PM

Hunderwear wrote:
matatuman wrote:
yosie14 wrote:

@Matatuman,Thanks alot for your comments.I prescribe to that thought that u dont need police favour to operate.Truth be said though that if they target your car wataipata.How do u go about it once they arrest ur car n take u to court.Have they recommended inspection on ur car btw.They mainly say its multicolour yet they gave it a clean bill while issuing TLB

Here's how to go about the multicolor issue: register the specific colors as a trademark with KIPI.

Kenya Industrial Property Institute.

Somewhere in the laws (not sure which Act) I'm sure there's something to the effect that the color stated in the log book should cover at least 85% of vehicle surface (excluding windows, windscreen, tyres and front & rear bumpers). You may wanna have a look at that too.

Truth be told, karao akiamua ni wewe, huna bahati. I recall my driver was once asked to produce the vehicle log book and he reportedly fired back to the cop: wewe unabebanga title deed ya shamba lako kwa mfuko? End of story.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
yosie14
#468 Posted : Tuesday, September 30, 2014 11:17:01 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
Hunderwear wrote:
matatuman wrote:
yosie14 wrote:

Here's how to go about the multicolor issue: register the specific colors as a trademark with KIPI.

Kenya Industrial Property Institute.

Somewhere in the laws (not sure which Act) I'm sure there's something to the effect that the color stated in the log book should cover at least 85% of vehicle surface (excluding windows, windscreen, tyres and front & rear bumpers). You may wanna have a look at that too.

Truth be told, karao akiamua ni wewe, huna bahati. I recall my driver was once asked to produce the vehicle log book and he reportedly fired back to the cop: wewe unabebanga title deed ya shamba lako kwa mfuko? End of story.

And here is where the DTO comes in.If you have 'seen' him earlier,your car is released enroute..Thats what am told though aint sure kaa ni ukweli
KCB,NMG,PAFR
Prime
#469 Posted : Monday, October 06, 2014 6:07:51 PM

Salaries:
How do you guys deal with the issue of salaries. I have a driver who consistently tells me to at least add a 100 bob to his salary. I have been paying him 600 per day, which breaks down to 500 daily wage and 100 ya lunch. I however know he makes something extra e.g. when he charges for any heavy luggage the occasional passenger will carry, or if a passenger disembarks midway in the journey and he picks another. I have an agreement with him that his salary will be increased after one year of service and any subsequent bonuses will be based on targets achieved.
I have however noted with great concern that he will try to pinch any small moneys he is able to. Small small tu-uongos here and there. I have talked with him but the trend still persists. so my question is... whats the right salary for a mat driver? No 2. How do you rehabilitate someone like that?
Rankaz13
#470 Posted : Tuesday, October 07, 2014 12:37:02 AM

Prime wrote:
Salaries:
How do you guys deal with the issue of salaries. I have a driver who consistently tells me to at least add a 100 bob to his salary. I have been paying him 600 per day, which breaks down to 500 daily wage and 100 ya lunch. I however know he makes something extra e.g. when he charges for any heavy luggage the occasional passenger will carry, or if a passenger disembarks midway in the journey and he picks another. I have an agreement with him that his salary will be increased after one year of service and any subsequent bonuses will be based on targets achieved.
I have however noted with great concern that he will try to pinch any small moneys he is able to. Small small tu-uongos here and there. I have talked with him but the trend still persists. so my question is... whats the right salary for a mat driver? No 2. How do you rehabilitate someone like that?

I'll answer the highlighted: DON'T. I learnt that at great cost to myself.

Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
jerry
#471 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:00:45 PM

Matatus lose out in urban transport plan:
http://www.businessdaily...2/-/53r723/-/index.html
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
jerry
#472 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 11:02:49 PM

Matatus lose out in urban transport plan:
http://www.businessdaily...62/-/53r723/-/index.html
young farmer
#473 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 10:34:00 AM

We will see what their will do with 33 seater.
geofreygachie
#474 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 1:15:21 PM

young farmer wrote:

Strange enough in Kisii /Sotik route i saw Toyota Hiace registration KCA ...T
A number of them infact.Do they still license the 14 seaters.
Divers - can you laugh in scuba gear, or will you drown? I was wondering. - James May.
jerry
#475 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 12:03:08 PM

geofreygachie wrote:
young farmer wrote:

Strange enough in Kisii /Sotik route i saw Toyota Hiace registration KCA ...T
A number of them infact.Do they still license the 14 seaters.

They do register but covertly. I also hear the overt registration (of KBYs, KBZs, KCAs, KCBs!) will be possible soon.
washiku
#476 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2014 1:46:32 PM

Am I hearing right? That Uhuru has lifted the ban on 14 seater mats?smile
washiku
#477 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2014 2:55:49 PM

jerry
#478 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:06:51 PM

washiku wrote:
Hooo...now I get it

What do you get?
jaggernaut
#479 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:28:46 PM

www.the-star.co.ke/news/...allows-use-graffiti-psvs

Good news. I should import one before the year ends for resale.
Uram
#480 Posted : Wednesday, November 05, 2014 4:34:24 PM

The government will impose the ban in Nairobi and Mombasa, but exceptions will be made for matatus operating on long-distance routes and in rural areas.

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/State-to-go-easy-on-14-seater-matatu-ban/-/1056/2511776/-/mry6scz/-/index.html