murchr
#361 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 5:53:51 PM

meme wrote:
murchr wrote:
Robinhood wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
murchr wrote:

Mpesa is cheaper numbers dont lie

You may want to ask for a refund from whoever taught you Maths.

Here are the numbers:

SAFARICOM - MPESA to MPESA CHARGES

To send Ksh 10 to 2500 Will cost you from Ksh 1 to 40

To send Ksh 2501 to 70,000 Will cost you from Ksh 55 to 110

PROPOSED EQUITY MVNO CHARGES

To send Ksh 10 to 2500 Will cost you from Ksh 0.1 to 25 (1%)

To send Ksh 2501 to 70,000 Will cost you a flat fee of Ksh 25

To send any amount from Equity to Equity will cost ZERO

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Applause Applause Ok you win, the thing is SAfcon is working with known and tested data, so they know where the majority of those transacting lie and how they do it.

10 - 49 = 1
50 - 100 = 3
101 - 500 = 11
501 - 1,000 = 15
1,001 - 1,500 = 25

The rest dont care because they probably dont use it that oftenly anyway. Even YU charged "0" on their calls but they packed up and left. Equity should also brace themselves for the fight IF this thing takes off. And am for it dont get me wrong afterall the users get to gain.

Thats whyere you are wrong. Its not that WE dont care... We did not have a choice! lol

Actually, you may be insignificant.
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
meme
#362 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 7:46:40 PM

murchr wrote:
meme wrote:
murchr wrote:
Robinhood wrote:
Wakanyugi wrote:
murchr wrote:

Mpesa is cheaper numbers dont lie

You may want to ask for a refund from whoever taught you Maths.

Here are the numbers:

SAFARICOM - MPESA to MPESA CHARGES

To send Ksh 10 to 2500 Will cost you from Ksh 1 to 40

To send Ksh 2501 to 70,000 Will cost you from Ksh 55 to 110

PROPOSED EQUITY MVNO CHARGES

To send Ksh 10 to 2500 Will cost you from Ksh 0.1 to 25 (1%)

To send Ksh 2501 to 70,000 Will cost you a flat fee of Ksh 25

To send any amount from Equity to Equity will cost ZERO

Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

Applause Applause Ok you win, the thing is SAfcon is working with known and tested data, so they know where the majority of those transacting lie and how they do it.

10 - 49 = 1
50 - 100 = 3
101 - 500 = 11
501 - 1,000 = 15
1,001 - 1,500 = 25

The rest dont care because they probably dont use it that oftenly anyway. Even YU charged "0" on their calls but they packed up and left. Equity should also brace themselves for the fight IF this thing takes off. And am for it dont get me wrong afterall the users get to gain.

Thats whyere you are wrong. Its not that WE dont care... We did not have a choice! lol

Actually, you may be insignificant.

Shame on you Shame on you lets wait and watch mister.
Patience. You cannot have a baby in one month by impregnating nine women....
FRM2011
#363 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 12:26:37 PM

I didn't want to comment on this thread until an equity staff told me something that scared me yeterday. He said, Dr.JM had once told a group of senior mgrs that the only company left for him to conquer was safaricom.

I hope it was a lie, I hope he was exaggerating. If not, then Lee Kun Hee, Samsung's president in 1997 comes to mind. Lee had a larger than life personality within Samsung. He had transformed Samsung and brought it huge success. His senior managers could not dare to express their reservations on wrong decisions made by Lee. So 1997, Lee started Samsung motors which folded a year later having lost $15bn of shareholders money.

The parallels with JM's entry into mobile telephony are too eerie to ignore.

When Jack Ma, Alibaba founder, was faced with eBay's entry into China, he told his staff;
"We are a crocodile in the Yangtze river and eBay is a shark in the ocean. We take the war to the ocean we die, we bring the war to the river we win"

He kept the war in his territory and his net worth now stands at $25bn after the IPO yesterday.

But Dr.JM has decided to get into the ocean and fight with a brutal and ruthless shark. It can only end one way.

Studies have proven that people are less likely to make optimal decisions after long periods of success.

I would wish to re-visit this thread after 3 years. I hope the fight between the crocodile and the shark will last that long.
mv_ufanisi
#364 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 1:09:38 PM

FRM2011 wrote:
I didn't want to comment on this thread until an equity staff told me something that scared me yeterday. He said, Dr.JM had once told a group of senior mgrs that the only company left for him to conquer was safaricom.

I hope it was a lie, I hope he was exaggerating. If not, then Lee Kun Hee, Samsung's president in 1997 comes to mind. Lee had a larger than life personality within Samsung. He had transformed Samsung and brought it huge success. His senior managers could not dare to express their reservations on wrong decisions made by Lee. So 1997, Lee started Samsung motors which folded a year later having lost $15bn of shareholders money.

When Jack Ma, Alibaba founder, was faced with eBay's entry into China, he told his staff;
"We are a crocodile in the Yangtze river and eBay is a shark in the ocean. We take the war to the ocean we die, we bring the war to the river we win"

He kept the war in his territory and his net worth now stands at $25bn after the IPO yesterday.

But Dr.JM has decided to get into the ocean and fight with a brutal and ruthless shark. It can only end one way.

Studies have proven that people are less likely to make optimal decisions after long periods of success.

I would wish to re-visit this thread after 3 years. I hope the fight between the crocodile and the shark will last that long.

JM understands Kenyans and has earned their trust, that's his biggest advantage over any competitors that Safaricom has faced. It's more a battle for the minds of Kenyans that Airtel, Yu and Orange have lost. JM can win this it's within his territory. As long as the technology works there'll be a movement to Equity which might turn into an exodus. It's going to make a good case study for business schools.
Kausha
#365 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 10:18:34 PM

I bet air patel are rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of someone else throwing shit loads of money into an expensive fight that is the fight against safaricon. This will be protracted and i will take a break from the EB stock and watch from the safaricom corner.

notice EB has had little success outside its core space in Kenya.
Mart_Consult
#366 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:09:43 AM

Air Patel Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
I went into the (Ferry) industry knowing the same thing I knew with all other businesses I went into- Nothing. Then I built it from there. - Sheldon Adelson (Titans at the Table- Giants of Macau)
quicksand
#367 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 3:01:43 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

JM understands Kenyans and has earned their trust, that's his biggest advantage over any competitors that Safaricom has faced. It's more a battle for the minds of Kenyans that Airtel, Yu and Orange have lost. JM can win this it's within his territory. As long as the technology works there'll be a movement to Equity which might turn into an exodus. It's going to make a good case study for business schools.

It is the technology that will be an angry devil, hard to tame, there will be only very few chances and no major failures can be experienced. The first mover always has the advantage of tolerance of the customers, the second entrant comes in to find a bar already set. Apple Maps and Google Maps anyone?
Kenyans trusting JM or not does not carry much currency;Equity has to invest heavily, master and tame telecomms ecosystems/technology and fight Mpesa at the same time. Or hope their partners have the necessary tech depth of the same...and this being Airtel, my optimism is dampened badly.
patrazi
#368 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 3:43:00 PM

mv_ufanisi wrote:
FRM2011 wrote:

Kenyans don't trust him. They used to.
MaichBlack
#369 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 5:02:17 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Oh ye of little faith, just wait and you'll see.

If there is one thing Equity and Dr. JM have never lacked, it's haters, prophets of doom, arm chair critics etc. And they all end up eating their words - though they rarely ever acknowledge the fact.

Dr. JM and Equity took on AN INDUSTRY and won against all odds. People challenged their business model timeline to collapse for daring to lend to the unbankable!! We know how that story went!

Dr. JM is the face of Equity. There is an engine room full of smart fellows you don't get to see on TV. Folks at Equity know exactly what they are doing. Trust me! There is no try and error here!
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
muganda
#370 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:29:11 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Applause What @FRM2011! What a post, and now the Richest man in China
Kingotore
#371 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 8:03:12 PM

Every new business is optimistic of success. But Jm has a long way to go before he call it a day.
1. He is working with partnership of airtel who need money from him to grow there business. Therefore he might review his tarriff in near future.
2. The recent increase in equity bank txn fee and different charge btn equity branch charge of sh 165 has lead to some customer close there account and move to other bank.
3. His hard line on his staff especially on joining kenya bankers association is not taken rightly by his staff whom he expect to deriver.
4. Provision of good service and more so on how staff associated with customers need to be improved if this service will succeed. This am talking out of experience
5.not all customers will be an equi tel customers
6 . establishment of equity shop with the bank will lead to congestion which might lead some hvc customers moving to other bank.
So it not a smooth walk all the way.let wait and see
GOOD TO GREAT. KINGOTORE
bird_man
#372 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:00:23 PM

The smartest thing to do here is to wait & see instead of professing how he will or will not win.
Make no mistake....the man has 127.8Million shares which means about 6.8B by todays prices.Do not underestimate his maths or his will to succed.He would be the biggest individual losser if this did not work.
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
MaichBlack
#373 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:22:09 PM

@kingotore

1) Equity has some of the lowest charges if not the lowest! Which bank are the customer you talk about moving to?

2) Of the other points, the one's that are factual (some are definitely not!), what are the chances Equity's top management have not thought about them??

It's amazing how people imagine major companies just wake up and introduce new products and services without considering some basic aspects. Do you know the number of meetings that are held monthly/weekly on this one issue alone? A committee complete with subcommittees is in place with all possible issues looked at and discussed at length. Anyone who has ever held a management position knows how these things work! It's okay to critic but lets not be too simplistic.
Never count on making a good sale. Have the purchase price be so attractive that even a mediocre sale gives good returns.
Kagame
#374 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:47:10 PM

Equity is not targeting telcos but the medium of exchange.it wants to influence the way wanjiku receives and makes payments.it seek to challenge hard currency and credit cards .it will lock mpesa out of its customers by eliminating the need.just like coca cola it will not target safcom/pepsi but endeavour to replace the need to use hard currency and make the equity ecosystem a way of life to wanjikus.i believe the slim sim gives it the momentum but its not the only advantage.experience with banking on poverty.(poor mans bank) will carry the day.epsos reports that Majority of Kenyan 90% earn less than 40000 a month.
sitaki.kujulikana
#375 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:48:31 PM

something some need to understand, most of the times mpesa experiences failure, its not due to the mobile network connectivity but due to the servers in germany having issues or the connection between germany and kenya having issues.

tech wise the only way equity will fail is if the new add on sim technology fails, otherwise processors wise equity has that covered and transmission wise I am sure airtel can not fail to move around several million (less than a kb) characters.

I like the buzz going around, I am not sure if its equity fueling it lakini watu mashinani are already talking about equity vs mpesa with the former labeled as one coming to balance out the high charging other.
To add spice, there are dots of brown colored agents poping up everywhere, that's something the other mobile operators failed to achieve, whether it will work for equity only time will tell and we can only wait, see and hope sisi the users will benefit.
chris79
#376 Posted : Sunday, September 21, 2014 9:50:29 PM

MaichBlack wrote:
@kingotore

1) Equity has some of the lowest charges if not the lowest! Which bank are the customer you talk about moving to?

2) Of the other points, the one's that are factual (some are definitely not!), what are the chances Equity's top management have not thought about them??

It's amazing how people imagine major companies just wake up and introduce new products and services without considering some basic aspects. Do you know the number of meetings that are held monthly/weekly on this one issue alone? A committee complete with subcommittees is in place with all possible issues looked at and discussed at length. Anyone who has ever held a management position knows how these things work! It's okay to critic but lets not be too simplistic.

And what makes you think the guys over at Waiyaki way are sitting on their hands waiting for the onslaught?
jwatesh
#377 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 1:00:17 AM

Kausha wrote:
I bet air patel are rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of someone else throwing shit loads of money into an expensive fight that is the fight against safaricon. This will be protracted and i will take a break from the EB stock and watch from the safaricom corner.

notice EB has had little success outside its core space in Kenya.

I just wish they would be more aggressive outside Kenya. Especially Tanzania and move into DRC & Nigeria. 50 million people in Tz. Get those cheap deposits
tom_boy
#378 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 12:45:42 PM

FRM2011 wrote:

Some people feel that JM cannot fail but I can think of some instances where he has failed

1. JM had the first opportunity to partner with Safcom on mobile banking. As we speak, mpesa could well be an equity bank - Safcom product. I feel that JM refused to negotiate because maybe his ego would not allow him to bow down to Safaricoms demands. That was a big mistake.

2. Entry strategy into Uganda was a big mistake. They made serious losses initially. I dont know if anyone was to blame for this but it shows that Equity also makes mistakes.

3. Equity had a health insurance product launched a long time ago. Does anyone hear about it any more? I know some people are using it but it did not turn out to be the revolution that everyone was expecting. What happened?

4. Their regional expansion had to be put on hold at some point due to poor execution. At that time JM was talking of going to West Africa and even SA. This shows a man who wants to achieve his dreams no matter what.

I have noted that ventures that involved collaboration with other players have not gone well. JM had to establish his own telcom unit so as to provide mobile money transfer. This was not really necessary.

Now lets wait and see how things will pan out. It still wont be a walk in the park. JM has to fight safaricom plus kcb plus cba. Scangroup, nation et al will be laughing all the way to the bank.
They must find it difficult....... those who have taken authority as the truth, rather than truth as the authority. -G. Massey.
chemos
#379 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 2:22:59 PM

No one seems to be talking about the medium Equity will be using to facilitate this product. As much as Equity might have a good product has anyone thought about the reliability of Airtel Network. This i know for a fact will be a big letdown to Equity Model. Airtel Networks Uptime in terms of service availability is wanting. I know of sites going down and resolutions taking more than a day, even weeks. This happens even with major hubs that serve huge geographical areas.
They might have SLA agreements with airtel but i can bet you will be hearing of people complaining all the time about transactions not going through due to network issues.

'Air Patel' will give JM quite some sleepless nights this i can assure you....
McReggae
#380 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 2:23:50 PM

chris79 wrote:
MaichBlack wrote:
@kingotore

And what makes you think the guys over at Waiyaki way are sitting on their hands waiting for the onslaught?

smile
..."Wewe ni mtu mdogo sana....na mwenye amekuandika pia ni mtu mdogo sana!".