wazua Thu, May 2, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Local ICT industry needs Venture Capital
redondo
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 4:22:15 PM

I recently attended a forum where one of the speakers Ken Njoroge, the CEO of Cellulant, shared his business experience. One of the things that emerged was the lack of financial support for small businesses. Ken shared how on several occasions his company almost wound up(near death experiences)when all they needed was a capital injection of no more than Kshs 2 million.

Fortunately for Ken, eventually the seed capital came from a local investor who was willing to give his business and ideas a chance.

People, don't you find it a little odd that even though the ICT industry is a high growth one and very promising, the general Kenyan investor has totally ignored its companies except for those listed at NSE.

To support my argument, the list of the worlds top 10 brands includes 5 ICT companies

http://www.interbrand.com/best_global_brands.aspx

Locally, 3 ICT companies featured in the top 10 SMEs in 2009, while in 2008, 4 ICT companies were in the top 10 list

http://www.kenyatop100.co.ke/section.asp?id=17

My dream is to set up a venture capital fund that will exclusively fund nascent local ICT companies in the next 5-10 years.

Am I on to something or is it just a pipe dream?
muganda
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 6:25:18 PM

@redondo interesting observations. Is it possible that key challenge facing ICT businesses is intellectual property. In Kenya, it seems that people are keen to finance tangible ICT assets - fibre, base stations, mobiles, PC etc.

Now look at software development, websites, support services... just intellectual property. What can you touch?
redondo
#3 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 5:35:30 AM

@muganda are you saying that if ICT companies were able to secure intellectual property for their services, processes or inventions then their real value would be realised and investors would be more interested? That's an interesting and insightful perspective

I know that the WIPO(world intellectual property Organisation)has a kenyan chapter, what is not clear is how active it is in registering patents.
muganda
#4 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 6:04:42 AM

Actually what I'm saying is that intellectual property is the problem. The key asset in ICT firms of a particular nature is intellectual property and it's intangible.

Hence making it difficult to value assets and hence finance. In fact, I would tender that venture firms that fund ICT have to be revolutionary.

Have you seen how in all the success stories this was always a sticky point from Google, Facebook etc. In Kenya, I've had sometime Aureos/Actis Capital has taken some bets.
redondo
#5 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 6:26:16 AM

So what am describing as a local problem is indeed a global one? Are the developed economies doing anything to streamline and benchmark the valuation of intellectual property or will it remain a game of betting on your your hunch for would-be investors?

I appreciate that inventions in this industry are usually very disruptive and hence to the average investor (who prefers to work with precedence) a bit risky.

I guess this is a call to the brave hearts. LETS DO IT
tuvok
#6 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 6:43:45 AM

Here is an interesting post (via whiteafrican.com)

A common problem in Africa is finding young entrepreneurs with a good idea, generally technical in nature, and they need about $5000-$10,000 to handle operations and build out of their technology in the first 6 months to a year. If they can find a local funder, that person generally wants an inordinate amount of equity in the operation – anywhere from 40-80%.

Read the rest (posted as far back as 2008):

http://whiteafrican.com/2008/10/20/theres-a-problem-with-seed-capital-in-africa/
VituVingiSana
#7 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 8:33:58 AM

The funder/loaner/investor also takes a lot of risk... there is zero return if the venture fails...

At the minimum, they would want what the bank offers but the higher risk means they expect a higher return. Risk-Reward Ratio.

Even in silicon valley, the expectations of returns are high coz the failure rate is also high... the successful ventures have to carry/cover the failures...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett