wazua Tue, Apr 23, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Export Flower Farming
propertyvaluer
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 10:58:23 AM

I wanted to know if anyone of you knows anyone who has ever tried flower farming for the European Markets. My friend intends to start the business next year, so i wanted to know the pros and cons of the biz, the expected returns per input used and such details. Ama this biz still remains as the business only carried out by the elite and the who and who's in the country? Thanks.
wanyee
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:02:33 AM

Rink is here ..http://www.hortinews.co.ke/article.php?id=403
kysse
#3 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2014 2:32:42 PM

propertyvaluer wrote:
I wanted to know if anyone of you knows anyone who has ever tried flower farming for the European Markets. My friend intends to start the business next year, so i wanted to know the pros and cons of the biz, the expected returns per input used and such details. Ama this biz still remains as the business only carried out by the elite and the who and who's in the country? Thanks.

1. Read extensively about the Flower Market.
Kenya not only exports to Europe East/West but Australia is a big Market, so is Asia and SAmerica - kidogo.

2. Source for Market and grow as per your clients requirements esp the variety to grow.

3. As a starter be prepared to burn your fingers. Many have started and closed because of payment issues with their buyers abroad.It's not for the faint hearted.

4. Also try to find a consolidator as a starter. We have many who buy from growers and export on their behalf.Some are doing better than the growers themselves.

5. Attend the Flower exhibitions. There is one coming up recently in Naivasha. Check out that link provided by Wanyee or even give them a call utaambiwa.

6. Last and MOST important. No one will buy your flowers if you are not engaged in Corporate Social Responsibility. The reason why all these flower farmers build schools engage in ABCD is not really out of Will.smile It's a standard requirement because mzungu wants a dollar of the amount he pays you to go back to the community.

7. Once you have identified your export market check out the requirements.Australia requirements are diff from Europe's.

Ok wish you all the best. Holla when they are ready and blooming,I will export them.

smallfama
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2014 3:51:54 PM

kysse wrote:
propertyvaluer wrote:

1. Read extensively about the Flower Market.
Kenya not only exports to Europe East/West but Australia is a big Market, so is Asia and SAmerica - kidogo.

2. Source for Market and grow as per your clients requirements esp the variety to grow.

3. As a starter be prepared to burn your fingers. Many have started and closed because of payment issues with their buyers abroad.It's not for the faint hearted.

4. Also try to find a consolidator as a starter. We have many who buy from growers and export on their behalf.Some are doing better than the growers themselves.

5. Attend the Flower exhibitions. There is one coming up recently in Naivasha. Check out that link provided by Wanyee or even give them a call utaambiwa.

6. Last and MOST important. No one will buy your flowers if you are not engaged in Corporate Social Responsibility. The reason why all these flower farmers build schools engage in ABCD is not really out of Will.smile It's a standard requirement because mzungu wants a dollar of the amount he pays you to go back to the community.

7. Once you have identified your export market check out the requirements.Australia requirements are diff from Europe's.

Ok wish you all the best. Holla when they are ready and blooming,I will export them.

@ kysse seems you have some flower export experience. I must concur with you that burning fingers in this business is common due to issues of pricing, failed payments from rogue importers etc. There are different kinds of flowers I.e. roses and summer flowers. This guy should specify which ones he wants to grow. I would advice him to start as a consolidator/ broker then after learning the trade he goes to farming. Alternatively talk to exporters first then farm according to the advice they give him/her.

@ kysse please talk to me on bella.tropen@gmail.com. I have some challenges that maybe you can assist me regarding this biz coz am also in it.
kysse
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2014 10:41:16 PM

@ farma .Will do so on tuesday. I not a farmer..
just happen to be in touch with the exporters and
the market.
smallfama
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 02, 2014 7:19:57 AM

propertyvaluer wrote:

@ propertyvaluer, did the advice we gave assist your friend? Or we can go to specifics like which variety he wants to grow then we see whether we have some insights.

@kysse am waiting for your mail.