wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Should I sell my house?
Tycoon!
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:53:02 AM

@ redondo what if u negotiated with your employer to either
1. transfer u to a branch in rongai(u insinuated you work in a bank)
or 2. Assuming its ur wife working in the bank and you hav another job, why dont u negotiate flexible hours where u leave the house early and head back home eary. will u achieve the quality time with your family?
Having a house over ur head is usually a top priority and from the discussion there are many assumptions i.e.
1. that you wil sell a house at a high profit 1.5M
2. that you will get a piece of land to buy that you can build on make returns on.
What if your plans fail u may have 1.5M but not enough to buy the piece of land.
gk
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 12:08:30 PM

@ redondo

.....i too reside in Rongai and share your pain with the traffic.

......my only advice is that you shouldn't forget why you chose the place in the first place. Like it has just been observed, you may not afford the same property a few years to come, by which time traffic may no longer be an issue.
Shame on you
farmer2
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:04:46 PM

i think the question you need to ask yourself is whether you want to make money or you want to be happy. If you want to be happy gravitate towards what your wife wants.. as for making money..

the discussions here have been very long on feelings and emotions and short on looking at the facts on the ground. A 1.5m return in such a short time is the dream of any investor anywhere. The only reason you have 'made' such a return is due to the market as it is. to expect to make similar returns going forward is naive. Property is the in thing and money is being made... but only for awhile. it will correct. depending on activities in the indian ocean is not a very wise investment strategy. if i were you
farmer2
#24 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 1:07:33 PM

i would sell and buy in on the not so in equities at the NSE before the good times start rolling. in a year when the mega-herd comes back your gains will be able to buy you a decent abord in an area of your choice. but as they say its upto you..
tony stark
#25 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 10:27:15 PM

Sell a house to buy share. Kwani we never learn. Loans to buy share now sell house to buy shares. Farmer an undying faith in our shaky stock market and you are the one who seems to be long on emotions in your advice.
@ redondo from what you said if the house can pay the mortgage through rent well i think your wife's idea is better. Let the house pay for it self the value will increase as opposed to what farmer thinks housing will not improve in Nairobi and the burbs will be the rongais and the kitengelas. I hope im proved wrong and the bubble burst but the reality is that there is real demand. My advice is rent in nairobi and use the 5000 to add to the loan repayment. 1.5m is peanuts for housing or land in Nairobi proper you will need a top up mortgage.
Just to add there is another thread here land in Ngara is being sold at 120 million per acre and there are 40 acres and they will be sold what the hell thats over 4.8 billion.
farmer2
#26 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 7:51:54 AM

@stark be easy and focus. seems you were burnt in stock market. pole. people will always be burnt; but that doesnt remove opportunities to make money. as i said if he wants to make money.. mine ends there as am not a charity.
just a quip on the ngara plots.. it is getting ridiculous by the day. what would you put up on a 120m acre to make a decent return? (havent read the thread so i may be repeating something already discussed)
popat
#27 Posted : Friday, January 08, 2010 11:40:58 AM

@all.Good replies.From experience i'd advise that you sell that house and move to the city.One thing about us Kenyans is that we have a very weird obsession with land and property.A budDy of mine lives in Athi-River.He wakes up at 4.30 daily.Takes 30 minutes to prepare himself and and kids takes another 20 min to drop his kids to school,they sleep in his car for around 30 minutes and another 45 to drive to work.He goes through this routine everyday if he has to avoid the the traffic jam and make it to the office in time.WHAT PLEASURE IS THIS. As Akowally had suggested you could sell that house and put the same into property buying and selling.In a span of a few years you will be choosing which side of Nairobi to reside in.My two cents
smooth
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 10, 2010 5:58:14 PM

I would advocate in keeping the house and working internally on evading the rest and making the best of what or where you are now . Things come the hard way . Consider this a done investment and think how to acquire a subsequent one.

There are great advantages of being at your own house and it would help you think of areas of improvement, internally and the compound itself (Including construction of another house) Though waking at 4.30am may be uncomfortable to beat the traffic,Once you are used to it , you will find it easy or alternatively , use the etra to let another house in a place of you choice.

Emiseda
#29 Posted : Monday, January 11, 2010 12:02:00 PM

One piece of advice i will give u,u can never go wrong with property!
Trump
#30 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 3:40:40 PM

if u can get a tenant to pay rent equivalent to what you are paying for the mortgage, rent out the house, get another loan to buy property nearer to town.if u sell that house, you will never get property closer to town with that money and u will end up having lost a house and still paying rent.
Just do it!
Flagship
#31 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2010 6:47:41 PM

Keep the hse, rent it out, move 2 the city n live life 4 as long as the xpected rent can pay the mortgage.
gathinga
#32 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2010 8:04:35 AM

selling the house to bu shares is a no no...Keep the house =, its your bigest investment I guess. Your wife is not for the idea of selling, this may turn out to be major cause of disaray in future...just in case, just in case something goes wrong along the way. Take the family rather than personal view.

Once you are clear that selling is not an option, then you may look at the various options going forward; renting out or living there. From the outset, renting out appears to hold more weight.
redondo
#33 Posted : Monday, February 08, 2010 8:07:57 AM

wazua People,
Iam glad to inform you that my family has decided to move to south B. we are letting our Rongai house. We think that its a move in the right direction. The jury is still out though