wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Should I sell my house?
redondo
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:47:39 AM

i bought a house in Rongai in January 2009. The property is a 3 bedroom bungalow on an 1/8th of an acre. as a family we are now considering vacating the property and moving back to the City(nairobi)to save on time spent on the road to and from work. we enjoy the out of town living but we find that we use the house lliterally as a sleeping quarter except for sundays when we dont go to work.

Further we are now questioning the wisdom of mortgage since in the end we are just glorified rent payers at least until the end of the loan Term(25 odd years).

Now that we have decided to leave we are torn between selling of the property and making a about 1.5 million profit(the values have appreciated quite fast)or renting it out. am inclined to selling off and investing on land which we can develop slowly over time. my wife however wants us to rent it out. We can make about 5k every month from rent after we deduct the mortgage repayment(we enjoy bank staff preferential rates)

What is the smart thing to do?
kizee
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:34:09 AM

hmmm....if u sell..can u at least use profits to build and rent...maybe flats etc etc..rongai area luks prime for this
mukiha
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:42:39 AM

It is not clear:If you rent it out, it will pay its mortgage and leave you 5k, but you still have to pay rent in Nairobi...about 40k for a 3br house.

If you subtract the 5k balance from the Rongai house, your effective Nairobi rent will be 35k.

What if you don't sell and you plough the 35k as additional payments on you mortgage; what will that do to the loan balance? Post you current loan repayments here and I will do the sum for you.

Nevertheless, I can see you clearing it in under ten years: how does that sound?
Nothing is real unless it can be named; nothing has value unless it can be sold; money is worthless unless you spend it.
anasazi
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 10:52:36 AM

Mukiha, you have some good perspective on the matter. It's quite tricky as patience is needed on this one, else you may burn your fingers. However, personally, if I could sell for a profit, I would. Then buy land and start building slowly. Building is way cheaper than buying, but way more consuming also. Managing your building project is no joke. I also find mortgages to be rip offs, however for most of us this may be the most feasible path to owning a house.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
redondo
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:01:37 AM

@ mukiha. do you suggest that i plough 35k while still living there or after having rented it out? i will post the exact repayment figures soon
redondo
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 11:07:57 AM

There is the other issue of time spent on the road, the cost of fuel and and the wear and tear on the car. i spend 12k to 15k monthly on fuel
bnti
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 5:14:11 PM

Liar so how much r u actualy spending on housing ie fuel and mortgage per month? U could start from thea then compare to the cost of renting in nairobi
Kimindiri
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:02:39 PM

Before I present my argument, I'd like to make the following assumptions;

1. that your mortgage repayments are higher than the cost of renting a house in the city

2. that you are on a variable rate of interest for your mortgage

3. that at no time will the interest rates change in the future to negate 1 above.

If the above three factors hold, then it would make economical sense to keep the house, rent it and plough into your future mortgage repayments;

(a)the extra 5k from renting the house, and

(b)the difference between the current mortgage repayment and your rent in the city

For the additional costs associated with living in Rongai (transport, security and any other cost), you can plough these into your mortgage repayments (not much at face value but over 25 years or thereabout, they will make a significant difference in your mortgage)

The other major reason for keeping the house is, at any given time, you are a home-owner and got a tangible asset to use as security for any additional loans or financial commitments (I know we are not there yet in Kenya but we are heading there - the bank or another third party can loan you money against the value of your partial ownership of the property without undue encumberance from your mortgage provider - well, unless you are not making the repayments!)

There are also the non-monetary benefits of getting home while the sun is still shining and spending as much of the evening at home and not stuck in traffic on Langata Road!

and lastly, of course, so long as hijackings continue unabated off the east coast of Africa, the property boom is here to stay and therefore you may not be in a position to afford your house 3-5 years down the road.
Just like in F1, it's all in the telemetry
a4architect.com
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 4:22:11 AM

my advice: dont sell.An 8th of an acre can be developed further to contain even more units-lateraly on the ground and vertically as in storeyed.
Use the rent to pay off the mortgage and use the property as colateral to get a loan to finance construction of 2 bedroomed units on the same land for rent or sale-using the sectional properties titles.
Keep in mind that land is a scarce resource so if you sell you might never get to find such other land to construct on.
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
redondo
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:27:36 AM

@all. i think your argument is convincing. i have seen the sense in keeping the house. what am still struggling with is whether to move back to the city or to just continue living in my rongai house.

am trying to rationalise the cost implications vis Avis the other softer issues of quality time with my family. my mortgage repayment is 25k,i spend a further 5k on utilities, 15k on fuel that sums about to about 45k give and take. in nairobi, rent, utilities and fuel will cost 55k. if i get a tenant to cover my mortgage costs then, for just an extra 10k, i will reap the advantages of living in nairobi.
however, i don't fancy being a land lord and the rent collecting headache that often comes with that status!
a4architect.com
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 11:12:19 AM

U can kill 2 birds with 1 stone..continue living there as u develop the xtra space into rentals
As Iron Sharpens Iron, So one Man Sharpens Another.
tuvok
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 1:48:38 PM

Is there a restriction on the type of housing that can be built on the plot?

wanyina
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 2:20:43 PM

Good advice from friends,I would spare this hse,but look for other ways to increase your earnings towards,after paying yr morgage: ie develop the extra space in this plot for extra income...but the question arises again is there any restrictions in developing??Also as i read other options consider selling and take yr equity ..but with an idea that after you get yr equity of 1.5M buy a plot right away and start developing.....
kyt
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:30:49 PM

40,000 for rent on a 3 bed room!! wierdo??
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
kyt
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:32:22 PM

why would i pay all that cash for a 3bd am still young though maybe things will change with age PS still in school, but still 40k eish!!!
LOVE WHAT YOU DO, DO WHAT YOU LOVE.
bnti
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 5:03:15 AM

Kyt thats what 3bedroom houses go for, actualy thats on the lower side as u get within 2-3km radius from the cbd. Ul even b lucky to get one at that price. @ redondo id advise u to hold on to that hse til it appreciates enough to get enough profit to buy land and build. about the choice to move or not...
akowally
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 7:44:15 AM

I agree with Kyt, if you were to rent a three bedroom, you can look for one which goes for less than that...In Buru, which is a great, decent estate (banks, major supermarkets, post office, great schools, colleges e.g. Alliance Francais e.t.c.) you can get a three b/room for even as low as 25k and a four bedroom at 30k...

JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:00:27 AM

Sell it!! And invest the money into buying real estate. (Another house and land). You have seen how fast land appreciates. In ten years time you can pay cash for a house in Karen. And since you are buying and selling houses, you will always have a house to fall back on just in case. Its what I'd do.
Dizzy
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 8:28:08 AM

d'oh! Things to consider
1. How much time will you save if you move?
2. How much money do you save ob transport if you move?
3. The 5k profit per month plus saving on transport be sufficient to get you decent accommodation in the city?
4. Considering the time saved will it improve your life i.e time spent with family, time to study, time to carry out hustling?

For me I made the shift to the city 5 years ago and so far no regrets as I now say I have a fuller life.
akowally
#20 Posted : Thursday, January 07, 2010 11:41:16 AM

Great points Dizzy...the focus should also be on quality of life(GOD,family,personal time,energy,less stress) and not just monetary gain...moving to the city may end up killing both birds with one stone...but take all the above points into consideration
JOIN MY FREE MINI-COURSE FOR WRITERS. CLICK HERE