wazua Tue, Apr 16, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Mitsubish FH for Hire in Transport business
Walkers
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 8:39:23 PM

Hi Guy's,
I got into Transport business by buying a new mitsubish FH. The problem is that I was wrongly adviced that the Fresh produce industry pays 20-30k per trip to Naivasha or Timau to Jomo, and one can do atleast 4 trips in a week. The big boys in the industry adviced me it's a bad idea Is there any one who can advise since I will be having the Truck from the bodybuilding shop in 2weeks
Sad is there any other offers out there?
Mkimwa
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:12:35 PM

I dont have any offers.. but allow me to ask a question..

Why FH, and not say Hino, or even Tata, or Isuzu?
How much does the fresh produce industry pay?

These kind of advice needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Talk to someone who actually has FH, and ask him about the worst cases. Take that as your starting point.

I will give an example on long distance trucks. You will hear figures of 100K from MSA - Nairobi 3 trips a week, and get excited. Reality is that you will make 3 trips in 2 weeks if you are lucky. Get someone who will tell you about loading delays, and queues in offloading or you get to where you loading, and find someone has undercut you, and you have to wait 2 days as you look for another load. Or a load going to mombasa port, and the scanner breaks down, and you are stuck there for a week or two, as a result.

Get the real stories, not just the too good to be true stories..
kaka2za
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 12:20:00 PM

All looks rosy until you get in the business. You will be told matatus make 12K per day and lorries 40K per trip.
A number of auto reviewers have written about superiority of the FH over its peers.
Truth forever on the scaffold
Wrong forever on the throne
(James Russell Rowell)
Chaka
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 2:37:40 PM

I hope the FH has not been financed by a bank..
The optimist
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 7:54:27 PM

Chaka wrote:

Why?
subaru
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 6:13:20 PM

i second chaka make sure otherwise utaumia
Gathige
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 31, 2014 10:23:17 PM

@Walkers, In transport Biz, always work from the worst case scenario eg if u only get one load a week, will it sustain the business. The overheads are just too many from the Mboys in blue, thieving crew and all manner of issues. A good staring point would be a guaranteed order from a reliable co and then build the business.

All the best
"Things that matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least." Goethe
Much Know
#8 Posted : Friday, August 01, 2014 12:55:17 AM

The optimist wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Why?

Kuhara! Utahara uhare, uhare, until you will know the softest tissue in the supermarket Sad
A New Kenya
The optimist
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 8:03:53 AM

Much Know wrote:
The optimist wrote:
Chaka wrote:

Why?

Kuhara! Utahara uhare, uhare, until you will know the softest tissue in the supermarket Sad
Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Sounds like you have personally been through hell on this one.
mawinder
#10 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:11:59 PM

Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,
I got into Transport business by buying a new mitsubish FH. The problem is that I was wrongly adviced that the Fresh produce industry pays 20-30k per trip to Naivasha or Timau to Jomo, and one can do atleast 4 trips in a week. The big boys in the industry adviced me it's a bad idea Is there any one who can advise since I will be having the Truck from the bodybuilding shop in 2weeks

So many offers out there.You can buy DAP from NCPB at KSHS 2000 per bag, bribe of 50 bob per bag to NCPB officials, rebag in a popular fertilizer company bags at 100 bob per bag, pay the border officials 30bob per bag, transport the fertilizer to Mbale in Uganda and sell it at Kshs 3200 per bag. FH can carry 200 bags and fuel consumption varies from the depot you get the fertilizer,eg from Eldoret to Mbale and back FH including drivers allowances costs about 15k per trip.Do the maths for yourself and know the season.If you can do three trips a week,the FH will pay for itself.
selah
#11 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 1:56:31 PM

Your choice of Truck is Superb...you cant go wrong with a New FH...that monster is a hot cake in the market.

I will advice you that dont panic...in this business panic can make you do some very crazy things and cost you alot.

First check out the fresh produce transport biz contact kuehn Nagel I see most of their trucks doing that biz ...they might give you a contract for it. Or you can visit HCDA to help you get contacts for horticulture businesses that might need your services.

Finally if the fresh produce business doesnt work out Try DHL they usually give individuals truck owners contracts and you get paid good money.

All in all the opportunities for the FH are just too many just relax and once you get it.work out a plan for it.Just be cautious coz in this business many people will send you down a cliff very fast....Just work with professionals and you will not go wrong.

'......to the acknowledgment of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ; 3 In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.' Colossians 2:2-3
mawinder
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 2:05:57 PM

selah wrote:
Your choice of Truck is Superb...you cant go wrong with a New FH...that monster is a hot cake in the market.

I will advice you that dont panic...in this business panic can make you do some very crazy things and cost you alot.

First check out the fresh produce transport biz contact kuehn Nagel I see most of their trucks doing that biz ...they might give you a contract for it. Or you can visit HCDA to help you get contacts for horticulture businesses that might need your services.

Finally if the fresh produce business doesnt work out Try DHL they usually give individuals truck owners contracts and you get paid good money.

All in all the opportunities for the FH are just too many just relax and once you get it.work out a plan for it.Just be cautious coz in this business many people will send you down a cliff very fast....Just work with professionals and you will not go wrong.

G4S also do lease trucks, as for their payments I am not sure.
wanyee
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 05, 2014 2:23:10 PM

Also talk to brookeside..and tetra pack they have good contracts
Jaro
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2014 1:41:58 PM

I am in the biz and this is the low down.
1. Trucks have become too accessible and you are joining the already populated market. Too many trucks on the road and very few business.
2. You can never do 4 trips in a week. Factor loading and offloading time and you already loosing at least 12hrs. Factor driver/turnboy fatigue and you loose 24hrs. The maximum trips in a week you can do is 3 assuming you do not go past Kisii, Kisumu, Kakamega, Eldoret etc.
3. DHL do not contract individuals with less than 5 trucks. Its so hectic getting into DHL. The pay depends on the goods you are carrying.Pharmaceuticals & Tobacco pay more. For the most common, Unilever products, woo unto you. Not lucrative as it may sound. I carry for DHL so I know.
4. Employees will steal, siphon fuel,goods will be stolen at Salgaa, Maimahiu etc.But dont worry about that, leave to Godd.
5. FH has a general problem with the breaking system. Juakali market will expect you to carry 10Tonnes, at times even 12tonnes. Thats where all your woos will begin with FH. You will change break linings until you decide to carry recommended 7Tonnes.
6. If you are gonna be repaying a loan for the track, look for plan B
Jaro
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 07, 2014 5:22:48 PM

I just got a 2yr transport contract and am looking for few trucks, 7.5T, 13T and 28T. If your truck is already out, I could give your first business.Or if anyone else here has a truck. Text(SMS) me on 0722113222.
bizbyte
#16 Posted : Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:38:13 PM

Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,

Take heart. In business, there is something for everyone. If you have a vehicle it will get work. The flipside is that unless you have good margins - comes from regular & well paying jobs, it will be a challenge to meet the associated costs such as maintenance (regular & random), crew, insurance (vehicle, fidelity, WIBA), compliance (speed governor,inspection, tracking devices), service your loan and have something at the end of the day. Godspeed. Little steps to Great strides
The optimist
#17 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2015 6:58:32 PM

Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,

How is the going so far?
subaru
#18 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 10:30:50 AM

Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,

just saw 100% financing this offer is too tempting ?
Robinhood
#19 Posted : Wednesday, May 27, 2015 12:21:59 PM

subaru wrote:
Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,

Umeiona hii offer wapi @Subaru?
Great men are not always wise, neither do the aged understand judgement...
The optimist
#20 Posted : Friday, October 09, 2015 7:58:20 PM

Robinhood wrote:
subaru wrote:
Walkers wrote:
Hi Guy's,

Umeiona hii offer wapi @Subaru?

@Subaru where is that?