wazua Thu, Mar 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Lessons from my Career
wazua
#1 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 3:37:00 PM

Dear Members,

A opportunity to help @CreativesDome while learning from each other at the same time, on what makes for a fulfilling career.

https://twitter.com/wazua/timelines/490111118409756674

The Wazua spirit

<a class="twitter-timeline" width="450" height="900" href="https://twitter.com/wazua/timelines/490111118409756674" data-widget-id="490113640259801089">Career lessons</a>
<script>!function(d,s,id){var js,fjs=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0],p=/^http:/.test(d.location)?'http':'https';if(!d.getElementById(id)){js=d.createElement(s);js.id=id;js.src=p+"://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js";fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js,fjs);}}(document,"script","twitter-wjs");</script>
muganda
#2 Posted : Friday, July 18, 2014 11:42:54 PM

Just seen Bruce Odhiambo on The Trend. One of the longest practicing music producers.
Something he said about music artists made me wonder whether it applies to all careers:

Success in the career
15% talent,
35% discipline and management,
50% luck
Truebeauty
#3 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 3:44:26 PM

50% discipline & hard work
30% innovation
20%luck
Swenani
#4 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 4:51:20 PM

40% networking
30% being smart and creative/innovative
20% discipline
10%Luck

hardwork wachia watu wa mkono
If Obiero did it, Who Am I?
real cindano
#5 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 9:50:28 PM

What is luck. Luck only make sense when it is opportunity meeting a prepared mind and not just random chance alone.
For example luck is you know someone selling a plot for half the value but if you don't know the value(preparedness) you wont exploit this lucky chance. So luck is not the randomness alone but includes some aspect of knowledge, risk taking, and insight that not everyone has!

I also think the ratio vary with industries. Networking might not be as important to a doctor as compared to an insurance agent etc etc!

To answer the lurker the lesson I learnt quite early is learn as much as possible when your young. Do all the boring reports, analyze all the things people dont want to do, learn from any and everyone and be as wholistic as possible. This will come in handy later in life even random far fetched skills and knowledge related to an obscure task can be used later or adapted.

More importantly learning doesn't necessarily happen in school and I think learning hand on skills in the workplace is more important.
nakujua
#6 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 10:33:09 PM

real cindano wrote:
What is luck. Luck only make sense when it is opportunity meeting a prepared mind and not just random chance alone.
For example luck is you know someone selling a plot for half the value but if you don't know the value(preparedness) you wont exploit this lucky chance. So luck is not the randomness alone but includes some aspect of knowledge, risk taking, and insight that not everyone has!

I also think the ratio vary with industries. Networking might not be as important to a doctor as compared to an insurance agent etc etc!

To answer the lurker the lesson I learnt quite early is learn as much as possible when your young. Do all the boring reports, analyze all the things people dont want to do, learn from any and everyone and be as wholistic as possible. This will come in handy later in life even random far fetched skills and knowledge related to an obscure task can be used later or adapted.

More importantly learning doesn't necessarily happen in school and I think learning hand on skills in the workplace is more important.

luck is just plain old luck smile
real cindano
#7 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2014 11:00:22 PM

nakujua wrote:
real cindano wrote:

Wow that's deep! I feel enlightened! Thanks nakujua and I'm glad sikujui!
muganda
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:58:36 PM

Management guru Tom Peters has some radical thoughts about luck 99.99% and hard work...

Seems in a Career, you have to acknowledge and be grateful for just the opportunity, and the talent to rise up to the plate. Then WORK, work, work, to attain excellence...
nakujua
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2014 1:06:21 PM

real cindano wrote:
nakujua wrote:
real cindano wrote:

Wow that's deep! I feel enlightened! Thanks nakujua and I'm glad sikujui!

thanks for your compliment and you are welcome, nothing beats helping out an unenlightened young'un smile
muganda
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:12:05 PM

Oh my! I've just seen a tweet on an article by Caroline Mutoko and read her for the first time. For all her be epic; do epic shit, she just answered this career issue raised by Wazua's lurker...

Follow Your Skill - The True Career Capital (excerpts)

+ “follow your passion” is such a load of crap. Without the skill to actually guide that passion, it’s a pipe dream. Listen to me – how often do you watch the auditions for TPF or American Idol and cringe at the poor soul who keeps insisting “I am passionate about music” yet they can’t hold a note. They are tone deaf and the only person who tells them they can sing is their mum.

+ People with the passion mindset ask “What do I really want?” You’ve seen them and heard them. These bitter critcis of what everyone else is doing because they seem to think they can be better than them. These nutcases become minutely aware of everything they dislike about their work and their job satisfaction and happiness plummets.

+ By contrast, the people who understand they have a skill and they work at it have the attitude of a craftsman. Their mindset acknowledges that no matter what field you’re in, success is always about quality. Once you’re focused on the quality of the work you’re doing now rather than whether or not it’s right for you, you won’t hesitate to do what is necessary to improve it – that’s where the passion checks in.

+ I’m not known for walking away from the hard truths or not stating them as they are. So let me say this often with no apology – this follow your passion saga won’t get you anywhere but frustrated. Focus instead on acquiring unique skills and refining the quality of what you do with the focus of a devoted craftsman. Once you do that, you’ll be well on your way to cultivating not only a satisfying career, but a new, rarer kind of practical passion built on commitment, mastery, and pride.

+ In a world where a marketing manager at a beverage company, takes on marketing at a telecom company and then moves on to marketing at a bank or a software company with ease is because they have mastered the skill. Passion is in the execution. Skill is in the delivery of definite results. Their career capital and their competitive advantage is their skill. Case closed.

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/...tal#sthash.wbVX4lV0.dpuf

real cindano
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2014 6:40:08 PM

muganda wrote:
Oh my! I've just seen a tweet on an article by Caroline Mutoko and read her for the first time. For all her be epic; do epic shit, she just answered this career issue raised by Wazua's lurker...

+ “follow your passion” is such a load of crap. Without the skill to actually guide that passion, it’s a pipe dream. Listen to me – how often do you watch the auditions for TPF or American Idol and cringe at the poor soul who keeps insisting “I am passionate about music” yet they can’t hold a note. They are tone deaf and the only person who tells them they can sing is their mum.

+ People with the passion mindset ask “What do I really want?” You’ve seen them and heard them. These bitter critcis of what everyone else is doing because they seem to think they can be better than them. These nutcases become minutely aware of everything they dislike about their work and their job satisfaction and happiness plummets.

+ By contrast, the people who understand they have a skill and they work at it have the attitude of a craftsman. Their mindset acknowledges that no matter what field you’re in, success is always about quality. Once you’re focused on the quality of the work you’re doing now rather than whether or not it’s right for you, you won’t hesitate to do what is necessary to improve it – that’s where the passion checks in.

+ I’m not known for walking away from the hard truths or not stating them as they are. So let me say this often with no apology – this follow your passion saga won’t get you anywhere but frustrated. Focus instead on acquiring unique skills and refining the quality of what you do with the focus of a devoted craftsman. Once you do that, you’ll be well on your way to cultivating not only a satisfying career, but a new, rarer kind of practical passion built on commitment, mastery, and pride.

+ In a world where a marketing manager at a beverage company, takes on marketing at a telecom company and then moves on to marketing at a bank or a software company with ease is because they have mastered the skill. Passion is in the execution. Skill is in the delivery of definite results. Their career capital and their competitive advantage is their skill. Case closed.

I wonder who she stole this article from.
Omena
#12 Posted : Sunday, August 03, 2014 8:47:38 PM

real cindano wrote:
muganda wrote:

I wonder who she stole this article from.

So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work You Love

by Cal Newport3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·   rating details  ·  1,943 ratings  ·  272 reviewsIn this eye-opening account, Cal Newport debunks the long-held belief that "follow your passion" is good advice. Not only is the cliché flawed-preexisting passions are rare and have little to do with how most people end up loving their work-but it can also be dangerous, leading to anxiety and chronic job hopping.After making his case against passion, Newport sets out on a quest to discover the reality of how people end up loving what they do. Spending time with organic farmers, venture capitalists, screenwriters, freelance computer programmers, and others who admitted to deriving great satisfaction from their work, Newport uncovers the strategies they used and the pitfalls they avoided in developing their compelling careers. Matching your job to a preexisting passion does not matter, he reveals. Passion comes after you put in the hard work to become excellent at something valuable, not before. In other words, what you do for a living is much less important than how you do it.With a title taken from the comedian Steve Martin, who once said his advice for aspiring entertainers was to "be so good they can't ignore you," Cal Newport's clearly written manifesto is mandatory reading for anyone fretting about what to do with their life, or frustrated by their current job situation and eager to find a fresh new way to take control of their livelihood. He provides an evidence-based blueprint for creating work you love.SO GOOD THEY CAN'T IGNORE YOU will change the way we think about our careers, happiness, and the crafting of a remarkable life.
d'oh!
 It’s what you learn after you think you know it all that counts.