wazua Sat, May 18, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Nakumatt to sell 30% stake
VituVingiSana
#1 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:03:00 PM

http://www.businessdaily.../-/t74tdmz/-/index.html

It is official that Nakumatt is negotiating to sell a 30% stake for $25,000,000. The sale isn't complete but I figure the release of this information is to either:
- A strategic move to entice other bidders/buyers to up the price
- Very close to being completed

Furthermore,Nakumatt expects to raise KShs 4,000,000,000 from local banks which will boost their liquidity as they expand across E.Africa. I have a strong feeling that the new partners will also build new properties for them in various other countries.

What is not clear is whether Harun Mwau is leaving Nakumatt. Does anyone know what his current ownership stake in Nakumatt is?

Another benefit of having partners with deep pockets is the ability to leverage cheaper borrowings from banks/financiers. And Nakumatt wants to open 4 branches in Tanzania,3 in Uganda & 1 in Rwanda. All these in addition to the current stores 22 they have.

It would not surprise me to hear Nakumatt will open in S.Sudan or Burundi by 2011.

So where does that leave me? Well... I will have to wait another 2 years before I get a chance to invest in Nakumatt... since their 'cash needs' have been satisfied for now... unless Harun Mwau wants out & Nakumatt does an IPO...

Greedy when others are fearful,Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase WB
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
Sober
#2 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2009 4:27:00 AM

this guys are crazy 30% for 1.8 bn. this translates to about 6bn

A likely impossibility is always preferable to an unconvincing posibility.
African parents don't know how to say sorry.. the closest you will get to a sorry is a 'have you eaten'
muganda
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2009 8:56:48 PM

So everything is now in the open and Mo Ibrahim may soon bite the elephant.

This Mo Ibrahim guy, I've googled him and I think he's done quite well making his billions. He seems to have started from very far. Can you imagine how things would be if he was still running Celtel, including Celtel KE for that matter?
VituVingiSana
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 9:14:50 AM

Why is this topic here since Nakumatt is not listed?

Unless you are Mo, Atul Shah & family or Mwau... this information is useless to us for now...
Greedy when others are fearful. Very fearful when others are greedy - to paraphrase Warren Buffett
muganda
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 12:52:22 PM

Aiissh @Vituss, kwani how many of you are there? Reading your reply I wouldn't guess you started the thread in the first place. Wazere do the necessary.

Now about Mo Ibrahim, don't know many Africans worth $2.5billion so I checked him up...
-the guy is just 63 about the age of many of our politicans / leading Kenyan businessmen, married to his only wife
-son of a clerk, from Sudan of all places, civil servant, teacher
-a techie studied electrical engineering, 1974 masters in then unfashionable radio waves thesis on "reuse of radio frequencies"

-1983 BT employed him in a startup but too much politics and in-fighting; he says "BT should have created Vodafone"
-frustrated, had enough, resigned and went to ground zero, turned to consulting from dining room with the ethos "to use the minimum amount of hardware to produce superior, interference-free coverage. Operators were spending billions, and if I could save them 10% on their network then I was saving hundreds of millions. So we can charge what we like."

-2000 sold first company which had 815 employees but noticed telecoms scramble for licences everywhere
-"The one place on earth where licences were available for free was Africa. Nobody wanted to go in."
-Celtel was born as number of mobiles in Africa grew from 7.5m to over 80m in just 5 years
-Mo with some reluctance sold for $3.4b to Zain in 2004, coming from a year of over 100% increase in net profit [though Kenya operation was unprofitable]
-etc. etc. etc.

-Time 100 builder and titan of 2008, 2009, #334 on Forbes 2009 list

Give credit where it's due bana and you can learn alot!
VituVingiSana
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:28:10 PM

@muganda - LOL... I meant in 'stocks' as opposed to an alternate category. How do I 'transfer' the thread/post?
Intelligentsia
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:48:53 PM

Folks, more intelligence info:

- Harun Mwau is no longer part of the Co.
- Only miros currently are 2 fellows with <10% shareholding in
the chain,
for now the Shah are the ultimate beneficial owners,
- new board to be reconstitued to accomodate new shareholders
- Not all of the KShs 4b they are seeking as a syndicated loan
facility from Kenyan banks will be deployed for their expansion
across the region. Indeed, a huge circa 80-85% of this is for
restructuring of their current facilities with local banks
- they will be opening >14 branches by end 2010.

All in all, new strategic partner will strengthen the chain's financial muscle.

By the way Tusky's is going regional big big time.
Laterz guys.

VituVingiSana
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 4:26:29 PM

14 branches in 1 year? Wow... those are a lot of branches!
anasazi
#9 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2009 4:46:28 PM

@VVS...Do you think Nakumatt is growing too fast? Would they end up the Uchumi way?
Form is temporary, class is permanent
Intelligentsia
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 19, 2009 11:29:03 AM

@VVS - 14 si mingi with your coffers overflowing with circa KShs 0.8b funds. Plus some of these branches will be smaller ala Nakumatt Wendani-type, and not big malls).

Ponder this: it takes about 25m to set up a small bank branch in kenya. This is not the cost of the property, but leased premises being upgraded and modified to serve as a retail branch f a bank. Ergo, with 800m you can set up 32 branches. Assuming the cost of a retail store is slightly higher on account of more hardware (shelving, ice boxes,trolleys,etc)that a supermarket has,thus cost is about 40m, then with 800m they can set up 20 small retail outlets. However, all this is predicated on the cost of a retail outlet being at 40m - anyone in the house knows the costs of setting up supermarket branches?
VituVingiSana
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 23, 2009 5:13:59 AM

@intelligentsia: I can see additional Wendayi style branches. The larger branches might be tougher to do at the moment.

Either way... good luck to them!