Registering a sole proprietorship
hmmm
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:10:15 AM

Do I need the services of a lawyer to register a sole proprietorship
Lolest!
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:53:40 AM

NO need for a lawyer

Just walk towards Teleposta Towers(GPO)

As you walk, think of 3 names you'd like to use. Go to Huduma center on the ground floor

Tell one of the young fellows you find there at the entrance that you want to search for a business name.

They will direct you to the cyber at the corner of that hall. There you will get assistance with typing and printing your letter to the registrar-they have templates. Pay the 20bob for that.

Proceed to pay at the other end of the hall. You will pay 100 per company for the search.

Go back to the entrance and pick a ticket. The lady there will assist you.

Get a seat and wait for your number to be called.

Confirm the availability of the names.

If available, go to Sheria hse and queue at counter 4 and pay at counter 12

Wait for 2 weeks after paying for the certificate to be out

It's advisable you go to huduma in the morning

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
hmmm
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:15:04 AM

Lolest! wrote:
NO need for a lawyer

As you walk, think of 3 names you'd like to use. Go to Huduma center on the ground floor

Tell one of the young fellows you find there at the entrance that you want to search for a business name.

They will direct you to the cyber at the corner of that hall. There you will get assistance with typing and printing your letter to the registrar-they have templates. Pay the 20bob for that.

Proceed to pay at the other end of the hall. You will pay 100 per company for the search.

thanks Applause
gohill
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:18:22 AM

Lolest! wrote:
NO need for a lawyer

Applause Applause Applause Lolest, you make it sound so easy and simple. Is it really like that coz even me i always think of a long n ortuous process?
mkonomtupu
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:26:13 AM

hmmm wrote:
Do I need the services of a lawyer to register a sole proprietorship

I would say yes, because it is not just the registration process that you need but you can get advise on the implications of running a sole proprietorship. If you are going to venture in a high risk business you may need to tuck some of your valuable assets somewhere when the bank or the auctioneers come for you. Cheap can be very expensive
Lolest!
#6 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 10:26:00 AM

@gohill, the huduma center part is easy. But Sheria hse is still disorganised. You even get overlapping queues!

Laughing out loudly smile Applause d'oh! Sad Drool Liar Shame on you Pray
newcomer
#7 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 2:58:30 PM

Lolest! wrote:
@gohill, the huduma center part is easy. But Sheria hse is still disorganised. You even get overlapping queues!

I went there recently and the place was full of brokers. They just stay in the hall scouting for clients. Since I wanted to take the least time possible there, I just beckoned one, trusted him, negotiated, gave him cash and left. He sent my certificate before the end of two weeks. I paid him a total of 2800. The almost 2000.extra was cost effective for me since follow up would have been more costly.
I later called him to register a company. Lawyers were charging me ka minimum of 25000. I paid him a total of 15k all inclusive. For, it was a case of if you cannot beat them you join them
mawinder
#8 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 3:14:28 PM

newcomer wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

I went there recently and the place was full of brokers. They just stay in the hall scouting for clients. Since I wanted to take the least time possible there, I just beckoned one, trusted him, negotiated, gave him cash and left. He sent my certificate before the end of two weeks. I paid him a total of 2800. The almost 2000.extra was cost effective for me since follow up would have been more costly.
I later called him to register a company. Lawyers were charging me ka minimum of 25000. I paid him a total of 15k all inclusive. For, it was a case of if you cannot beat them you join them

Seems we use the same broker at Sheria house.CR12 which takes 2 weeks at a fee of Kshs.600 he gets in a day at 2k.I wholly support such corruption.
tinker
#9 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 3:22:44 PM

Lolest! wrote:

Yah, Huduma part is easy, and guess what "The cartel" has also moved there too. Wonder why the Electronic number system is not working for Biz/Company registration tills.

....He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..
Kwanini
#10 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 4:45:00 PM

those brokers handle with care. some earn their keep. one theophilus kisangau conned me 6k . he was refered to me by a close friend. he even tried a fast one to extend the registration. whenever I call him 6 months later he says he is nursing a broken leg. I hear he had an accident.
"For i am the master and the captain of my fate"
newcomer
#11 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 7:58:05 PM

Kwanini wrote:
those brokers handle with care. some earn their keep. one theophilus kisangau conned me 6k . he was refered to me by a close friend. he even tried a fast one to extend the registration. whenever I call him 6 months later he says he is nursing a broken leg. I hear he had an accident.

So he did not con you per se' ni mambo yake ilienda mbaya. You have said it, one has to take care with them. No matter how they may want to be honest with you, they are just hustlers trying to earn a living in these difficult economic times. When shove comes to push, they will use your cash to go to hospital, pay rent etc.
Those in Nairobi can protect themselves by avoiding to give them cash. They can que and call you to pay when it is time to, then they can handle non cash transactions. For us away from Nairobi, it might be a worth risk for now.
iMANI
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:06:03 PM

newcomer wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

@newcomer
Kindly send me the number of your broker at mode254 (at) gmail (dot) com.
Life and beer are very similar........chill for best results.

mkonomtupu
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 12:39:07 PM

newcomer wrote:
Lolest! wrote:

Briefcase company for 15k. Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Wait till the day you go to borrow from a bank and they do a searchLaughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly
cheap is very expensive
incognito
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 12:50:07 PM

Is the online business registration working?
On 27-June-2014, capital fm posted this
''NAIROBI, Kenya, June 27 – Kenyans can now register new businesses instantly using their mobile phones as opposed to going to the Registrar of Companies at Sheria House where applicants spend weeks waiting for their certificates.
In the new programme launched on Friday afternoon, applicants are required to dial *271# to be able to access services offered at the State Law Office which include business registration and marriage certificates among others'''

Capital FM article-Online Registration of Companies
Excelsior
hmmm
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 2:08:03 PM

incognito wrote:
''NAIROBI, Kenya, June 27 – Kenyans can now register new businesses instantly using their mobile phones as opposed to going to the Registrar of Companies at Sheria House where applicants spend weeks waiting for their certificates.
In the new programme launched on Friday afternoon, applicants are required to dial *271# to be able to access services offered at the State Law Office which include business registration and marriage certificates among others'''

Not sure. But name search inatokea sa hiyo hiyo.
incognito
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 08, 2014 2:25:16 PM

hmmm wrote:
incognito wrote:

Not sure. But name search inatokea sa hiyo hiyo.

Have you used the sms service for name search? I used the *271# hash but after paying and searching it returned a message that the system was down. I lost the 100bob of course. How did you do it?
Excelsior