wazua Sun, May 5, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Offshore Investments
marko
#21 Posted : Wednesday, December 09, 2009 3:01:48 PM

Mturi-not annualised.but since i started investing.and that is in dollars.as at today it was 39%.but that aint their surrender value.they want you to do it for the long term.again,gains are mostly pegged on risk class.
WHO DARES WINS
IFA2
#22 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 5:43:46 AM

@ Alvaro-1 , about average expected returns on Friends Provident Intl, You cannot predict average expected returns on a fund but what we do is use historical figures to gauge the expected performance of a fund.
With the more agressive funds such as the BRIC countries fund, the increase in the unit price only this year has been 60% but remember these securities markets are just recovering from the financial crisis and so prices are quickly going back to where they were before the crisis. We feel that this fund, and many other funds, has still not reached its potential price thus presenting an investment opportunity.
mturi
#23 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:53:57 AM

How come we are only mentioning Isle of Man as the offshore centre of choice. why not the others - Jersey, Guernsey, Cayman, BVI etc. I know some like Cayman have been hard hit by the recession plus threat of crackdown of the tax havens, laxity in regulation etc but I dont know why the focus on this forum has been on IOM
IFA
#24 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 10:28:19 AM

Mturi,Isle of mann is just one of the tax havens.the other one is luxembourg which is in Europe.most of the tax havens based in the US may be abolished.
mdosi
#25 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 11:53:48 AM

@Mturi
Isle of man is one of the well regulated offshore financial center and the government compensation scheme guarantees 90% of your investment in case an investment house goes down. Any government can only issue such guarantees after being satisfactorily convinced the investments houses in their jurisdiction follow regulations to the letter. Compare that with the CMA's compensation scheme where investor get max of 50k irrespective of how much you hold. The other offshore financial centers are well regulated too and have convincing compensation schemes as well.
It's amazing what you can achieve when you get rid of fear.
Kamaa
#26 Posted : Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:51:03 PM

you all completely lost me...

esp IFA IFA1 & Wazua...

When you hear what I say, you will not understand. When you see what I do, you will not comprehend
marko
#27 Posted : Friday, December 11, 2009 3:18:54 AM

I really dont think it matters much whether the fund is in a tax haven or not.the constituent funds are what matter.you could be in a tax haven yet just make losses.if you look at the factsheets of the funds in Friends,you'll find that they even give you the fund manager.so you can always google him up.
Diversification is key.why have all your eggs in one basket?
WHO DARES WINS
mturi
#28 Posted : Sunday, December 13, 2009 9:42:00 PM

@IFA-In relation to other offshore centres, do you have a fund manager that you have dealt with in relation to Guernsey funds. I have done some research and Guernsey has a similar investor compensation scheme and no one has claimed under that scheme.

IOM is still trying to chart their strategic direction as a jurisdiction and particularly in teh area of funds. So if you have a recommended manager in Guernsey, that would be my preferred location, followed by Luxembourg