wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) Engines
bird_man
#1 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 11:19:26 AM

Hi TeamWazua,
I just wanted to know if any of you has had the opportunity to own a CVT engine vehicle.This is mostly in 2010 models onwards. It is claimed they are more fuel efficient than traditional automatic transmission cars but what is your experience?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
nakujua
#2 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 11:44:25 AM

some year 2005 nissans have cvt, anyway my first car was a cvt so I can not have a detailed comparison with the kawaida auto transmission.

But the first time I drove a friends auto, I thought it was falling apart since I would feel the gears change, which I din't like since I was used to the smooth drive of a cvt - which I guess is the major difference between the two.

For fuel consumption as it is said depends on the driving, lakini I have not seen any major difference to the similar engine sized auto counterparts.

bird_man
#3 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 12:00:51 PM

nakujua wrote:
some year 2005 nissans have cvt, anyway my first car was a cvt so I can not have a detailed comparison with the kawaida auto transmission.

But the first time I drove a friends auto, I thought it was falling apart since I would feel the gears change, which I din't like since I was used to the smooth drive of a cvt - which I guess is the major difference between the two.

For fuel consumption as it is said depends on the driving, lakini I have not seen any major difference to the similar engine sized auto counterparts.

@nakujua true true.I think Murano has it,also the 2009 Subarus.I have read the following:
PROS:
-Better acceleration especially on hills
-Smoother ride
-Better fuel efficiency
CONS:
-No gear shift thrills esp for driving enthusiasts
-Noisy engine
-Expensive to maintain the CVT

What is your personal experience on comments above?
Formally employed people often live their employers' dream & forget about their own.
Money Whisperer
#4 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 8:19:22 PM

wacha nikuchoree hii maneno. This is Nissan's XtronicCVT

"Money never sleeps"
Chaka
#5 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 8:36:43 PM

Sasa kuchora hiyo CVT inasaidiaje?
nakujua
#6 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 9:38:22 PM

bird_man wrote:
nakujua wrote:

@nakujua true true.I think Murano has it,also the 2009 Subarus.I have read the following:
PROS:
-Better acceleration especially on hills
-Smoother ride
-Better fuel efficiency
CONS:
-No gear shift thrills esp for driving enthusiasts
-Noisy engine
-Expensive to maintain the CVT

What is your personal experience on comments above?

Acceleration I would say is smooth, no feeling or the car pausing in the middle of overtaking, its nyweee, the engine smother ride wold come about due to the lack of shifting;
For fuel efficiency, I have not had a chance to compare with the kawa auto - but my driving style for 2000cc, I manage about 11 - 12, depending on the health of my pocket, which is proportional to the weight of my foot.

on the cons, the few times I have driven the non cvt - I did not like the gear shift feeling, the engine noise does not seem different and maintenance is the kawaida fluid change - but my transmission has never been faulty so I would not know the cost of repairing one.

lakini nissan has had this technology for some time, most of their post 2005 cars include it
bird_man
#7 Posted : Monday, June 09, 2014 10:08:59 PM

@nakujua....kweli unajua.Thanks.
Seems like its nothing to be afraid of.
jaggernaut
#8 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:23:38 AM

People will always be afraid of new technology. I remember guys sending huge sums to Japanese exporters to have their cars changed from auto to manual before shipping. There was also the fear of efi, vvti, D4, and now CVT. Even the fear of electric windows!

I believe Japanese manufacturers thoroughly test new tech (which is meant to make cars more efficient) before deploying it in new cars and have to get approval from govt regulators. Moreover the cars Kenyans import are not new but mainly 8yr old 'jalopies' meaning the tech in the cars is also quite old, and if the cars have run for so long with the tech while in Japan, then there's nothing to fear about.
bird_man
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 10:18:38 AM

jaggernaut wrote:
People will always be afraid of new technology. I remember guys sending huge sums to Japanese exporters to have their cars changed from auto to manual before shipping. There was also the fear of efi, vvti, D4, and now CVT. Even the fear of electric windows!

I believe Japanese manufacturers thoroughly test new tech (which is meant to make cars more efficient) before deploying it in new cars and have to get approval from govt regulators. Moreover the cars Kenyans import are not new but mainly 8yr old 'jalopies' meaning the tech in the cars is also quite old, and if the cars have run for so long with the tech while in Japan, then there's nothing to fear about.

Ditto!
goldenberg
#10 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:04:10 AM

Good:
- Lighter than an Auto Box
- fuel economy

Bad:
- Engine whining at high acceleration yet you don’t get the feel that the car is actually accelerating though it may actually faster than auto. (imagine driving a manual with clutch slipping)
- CVT cannot be repaired only replaced. Dont know the cost now but they are cheaper and less complicated to manufacture

Ugly:
- Extremely dull driving. though new cvt's has virtual gear changes that simulate an auto car.
- CVT oil is expensive and specific to car transmission. if I am not wrong its 8K per 4 Litres NS1-1. Do not attempt to use any other oil, however the oil change is after 120,000 Kms.

The Truth:
- Eventually all Transmissions will either be CVT or dual clutch transmissions as Japanese car makers have switched to CVT due to cost of production
- All new subaru cars are on CVT because the autos were guzzlers. So if you want a new Subaru STI it only being offered in manual which is a good thing.
bird_man
#11 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 2:49:31 PM

@goldenberg ....and how many litres of the CVT oil would you need?That 8K one is for which car?
Apricot
#12 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:19:17 PM

Bought a Nissan Rogue (North America) straight from showroom in 2010 and so far so good. My preference was Honda CRV, but wife thought it was ugly and preferred the Nissan's curvy look. Toyota's were on recall then.

The noisy whining get's your attention when accelerating but settles down once the car has picked up speed. And off course you don't feel the transmission shift as mentioned by others. It's a smooth progression. Haven't seen much of the downside on this transmission yet and I have seen that newer vehicles (Subaru) have joined the bandwagon.
First time in history we can save the human race by laying in front of the TV and doing nothing. Let's not screw it up
quadc
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 7:20:00 PM

@bird_man I have had a 2006 Nissan Sylphy(ex japan) with CVT tx for more than 1 year & it still drives comfortably. Never changed the fluid(dip stick fluid level still within range) though planning to do it in a few months. I guess the recommended interval change is 8 years for normal usage although seen recommendation for 100K but I guess it also depends on driving habits and locale. I can't comment on fuel efficiency, I have never done a comparison.
Money Whisperer
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:12:22 PM

jaggernaut wrote:

I posted a similar post ikapotea hata I thought hii ni yangu. watu wa toyota walichekelea Mits GDI ati ni engine mbovu saa hii wanaendesha D4.. think about it 1998 Mits has GDI, kweli toyo wako nyuma
"Money never sleeps"
Money Whisperer
#15 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 8:16:12 PM

halafu @jaggernaut, no company wants to risk a government sanctioned recall and being asked to appear before senates and parliaments the world over like the case of Toyota's accelerator pedal kwamaring huko chini and refusing to break causing accidents. I saw Toyoda the owner crying tears before US senate sub-committee. Cars are good shida ya GDI and D4 technology is that they are designed for high level refined fuel that lacks in Kenya juu ya wakora wa kuweka Countryman kwa ngata
"Money never sleeps"
bird_man
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:30:32 PM

Good insights right here.So nobody has changed that transmission fluid yet?
jaggernaut
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 10, 2014 11:02:27 PM

bird_man wrote:
Good insights right here.So nobody has changed that transmission fluid yet?

Noted that cvt fluid MUST be replaced with cvt fluid and not ATF. Talking of ATF, i recently changed mine after 40k km even though there's the car manufacturer's sticker on the ATF dipstick that says that ATF need not be replaced. Maybe it's the same case with CVT.
goldenberg
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 8:30:05 AM

You actually never need to change the CVT oil. Only when if it is contaminated with metal or it is white in color. You test the oil by smearing the oil on a white piece of paper and checking for the metal particles from wear and tear of the belt.. Nissan CVT oil is called NS-1. Used by Tiida, Wingroad. The New Rav4 is also now a CVT :(
Odec
#19 Posted : Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:56:28 AM

goldenberg wrote:
You actually never need to change the CVT oil. Only when if it is contaminated with metal or it is white in color. You test the oil by smearing the oil on a white piece of paper and checking for the metal particles from wear and tear of the belt.. Nissan CVT oil is called NS-1. Used by Tiida, Wingroad. The New Rav4 is also now a CVT :(

CVT fluid should last the life time of the car no need to change the fluid s synthetic
LiVE sIMpLE thiNk BiG
Impunity
#20 Posted : Monday, June 16, 2014 1:36:32 PM

Odec wrote:
goldenberg wrote:

CVT fluid should last the life time of the car no need to change the fluid s synthetic

We have vehicles doing 500K plus mileage!!

Liar Liar Liar
Portfolio: Sold
You know you've made it when you get a parking space for your yatcht.