wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages12>
Ford Focus in Kenya
ulemsee
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:22:29 PM

Hello Wazuans,

I am concerned that there are very few Ford Focus cars on our roads in Kenya. Not that I would like them to be many, but I am taking this as a sign that they are hard to maintain or have some otherwise scary feature that keeps car owners at bay.

I happen to be really tall and the options that I have for cars that I can drive comfortably are very few (in case you notice that I ask a lot on cars). The Focus is one of the very few saloons/hatchbacks that I comfortably fit behind the steering wheel without having my left knee pinched between the steering wheel and the door, or pushing against the dash with my seat pulled back all the way.

Anyone who has had a Focus or knows someone who own(s)? Models for 2005-around 2008.

ulemsee
Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
― George Carlin
subaru
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:19:21 AM

just go for it at least you know that hakuna story ya kuweka rivet and chans even alarm unaweza lenga but more important no fake spares
murchr
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 5:42:18 AM

Tall in a Focus? Wacha mchezo wewe anyway as you go for it just know that it has an expiry date. American cars have a tendency of being problematic after 5 years max from the year of manufacturer, you gotta keep that economy going you know! All the best
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Chaka
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:13:20 PM

Ulemsee,
I once checked out a VW passat estate and and it had good leg space...
vky
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:45:57 PM

murchr wrote:
Tall in a Focus? Wacha mchezo wewe anyway as you go for it just know that it has an expiry date. American cars have a tendency of being problematic after 5 years max from the year of manufacturer, you gotta keep that economy going you know! All the best

contrary what you are alluding to, 2005 focus and subsequent models are very roomy i own one{zetec} both in Kenya na huko kwa kina kiash and my 6'4 frame fits perfectly into the car, the one i use locally i haven't changed a thing save for oil and filters since i brought it in in 2012, the one i use huko kiashland is a 2003 model and still runs like new.
@ulemsee go for it you will not regret, the focus is a pretty sturdy motor, handles well, good suspension and pulls itself very well on the highway, consumption is ok though it could do better for a 1.6 liter engine, when i got it from mambasa i checked into nairobi with just over quarter tank left, it averages about 11km/l on town driving but gets better on the highway.
On parts, the focus {2002-2008} has a straight forward engine that a good mech will easily service, for parts if you look around i guess you can find them but on my part i haven't changed anything yet but when it comes to that i will get them from kiashland very cheaply.
the average for a good quality used focus in the UK is about £3200 add to that £1000 to have it in mombasa then expect to pay about 300k in taxes and other clearing charges to have it in your parking bay.
'One headache for famous medieval holy people was that someone might murder you to acquire your body parts for the relics trade'
ulemsee
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 2:36:17 PM

murchr wrote:

I've actually tried it and it was roomy. Same thing goes for the Gold MK5 and Jetta.

I think it's only Asian cars which have kidogo legroom.

If I may ask, who in the world is Kiash?
― George Carlin
bkismat
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:13:52 PM

ulemsee wrote:
murchr wrote:

I've actually tried it and it was roomy. Same thing goes for the Gold MK5 and Jetta.

If I may ask, who in the world is Kiash?Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly Laughing out loudly

He is a Wazuan who stays huko majuu.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt...
-Mark Twain
Bykhovets
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:09:34 PM

ulemsee wrote:
murchr wrote:

If I may ask, who in the world is Kiash?

Kweli wewe no mgeni smile

@Kiash is Kimuhu wa huko kwa akina Obama.
"Occasionally I drop a tea cup to shatter on the floor. On purpose. I am not satisfied when it does not gather itself up again. Someday perhaps that cup will come together."
murchr
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:35:35 PM

Usiniambie huwa natharau uto tugari tudogo? But my experience with Ford is terrible, if u like it go for it. I like the volt, i hired one and it DRIVES super well,thats until they had that recall
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
Chaka
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:47:46 PM

murchr wrote:
Usiniambie huwa natharau uto tugari tudogo? But my experience with Ford is terrible, if u like it go for it. I like the volt, i hired one and it DRIVES super well,thats until they had that recall

May be it was your mechanic?Can a 6'4 man fit in a volt?
murchr
#11 Posted : Wednesday, May 28, 2014 7:11:03 PM

Chaka wrote:
murchr wrote:

May be it was your mechanic?Can a 6'4 man fit in a volt?

Yes he can fit, its bigger
JkMwatha
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 7:47:39 AM

I'm not sure why its avoided.

Or may be it has to do with availability of parts and good Ford garages/mechanics.

In UK, Ford Focus holds its value (resale value) better than any other Ford and better that several other makes.

Though some Ford critics say

"FORD - Fix Or Repair Daily"
Money Whisperer
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 29, 2014 1:43:21 PM

of all american cars Ford holds its own quite impressively. it's the biggest selling american car outside the US. In fact during the conomic downturn Ford was not in the red they just campaigned to have the bail out door open for them in case they needed it. I have riven the Focus in the US (2004 model) a good car. I have seen a number of Ford escapes on the road. si ati ni gari poa vile nothing to write home about but ni poa. it gives akina Nissan a run for their money so you can't compare it to passat (eish! hio ni premier league) Focus is roomy I'm tall and never complained
"Money never sleeps"
bubethi
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2014 1:24:24 PM

Chaka wrote:
Ulemsee,

Agreed, Passat iko roomy plus a very big cargo bay. Shinda ni ground clearance, iko chini tu sana.
ulemsee
#15 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 6:06:07 PM

bubethi wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Ulemsee,

Agreed, Passat iko roomy plus a very big cargo bay. Shinda ni ground clearance, iko chini tu sana.

Yes, Golf, Jetta and Passat are all cars that I can fit in. My worry with these cars is the maintenance costs. Especially for the Jetta and Passat. I know a Golf would be stress-free. I'm just weighing options between the Golf and the Focus. I'm in love with the Focus (especially coz of it's impressive fuel economy) :)

Isn't she a beauty? ;-)
― George Carlin
Chaka
#16 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 6:45:50 PM

@ulemsee,
Why not get a golf diesel?
ulemsee
#17 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 7:36:07 PM

Chaka wrote:
@ulemsee,
Why not get a golf diesel?

Appreciate the suggestion. But si you support it with a reason - I see you love VWs but convince me smile
― George Carlin
ulemsee
#18 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 8:01:45 PM

Check out this forum on Golf vs Focus
― George Carlin
murchr
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 8:52:08 PM

ulemsee wrote:
bubethi wrote:
Chaka wrote:
Ulemsee,

Yes, Golf, Jetta and Passat are all cars that I can fit in. My worry with these cars is the maintenance costs. Especially for the Jetta and Passat. I know a Golf would be stress-free. I'm just weighing options between the Golf and the Focus. I'm in love with the Focus (especially coz of it's impressive fuel economy) :)

Isn't she a beauty? ;-)

Nimekusaidia kuweka picha. Huyu ni wa mwaka gani?

ulemsee
#20 Posted : Sunday, June 01, 2014 9:31:15 PM

― George Carlin