wazua Sat, May 4, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

My group has stalled. please HELP!
redondo
#1 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 7:34:12 AM

I belong to a chama that has been in existence for about 2 years. We started well but have now stalled due to some administrative hurdles. we had weak governance structures and as a result lost money when the treasurer embezzled the group funds. some members left as result and those who remained are very low on morale.

How do we pick up the pieces?Sad
anasazi
#2 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 7:38:26 AM

Wow.... Trust, once lost, is very hard to gain back. Did the treasurer go? Did you lose all group funds, some of it, or most of it? I think if you have a clear the air meeting, and put in place structures, you can survive.
Form is temporary, class is permanent
muganda
#3 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 8:26:38 AM

Interesting @redondo, perhaps a few more details. Is it women's group or evenly mixed? What do members share in common? Same school, university, work place etc.

I harzard a guess - when things go wrong, you have to go back to the beginning to find what attracted you in the first place?
sokomjinga
#4 Posted : Friday, December 04, 2009 2:29:20 PM

@Redondo

From my personal experience .......

Such things do happen in group investments. My advise to you is not to give up.
There must be some serious people in the group for it to succeed.
Selflessness and dedication are qualities required from each member in order for your activities to move forward.
Make sure that the group is registered with the relevant authorities e.g. relevant dept at the Ministry of social services and if it's a coop group with the coop ministry. You must make sure the first officials are people of integrity and see to it that the procedures for deposits and withdrawals from your group account are very strict and at the same time have withdrawal limits.
You do not have to begin with a very big group. Pepople who join later when the group has taken off and is successful should be asked to pay a goodwill. That way you should be able to grow wery fast.
Taunet Neelel ..... New Beginning .....