wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

LIEN
Kaigangio
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 02, 2009 3:18:28 PM

Hi all

i carried out some renovations works for some client's property and all went well to completion. the agreement was that i would be paid after the works had been fully executed and inspected for visible and any possible latent defects. the works to the best knowledge of the inspector were free of defects..
immediately thereafter i invoiced the client for the payments...this is when the circus started...six months of being taken round in a vicious circle have elapsed and i have not received a cent for the works...
my question is:is it possible for me to put a lien or do our laws allow us to put a lien on property if a client or owner fail to pay up their dues as required?
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Kaigangio
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 6:33:59 AM

hi all,

have the legal experts gone with the former stockskenya ama namna gani? anybody please...
...besides, the presence of a safe alone does not signify that there is money inside...
Much Know
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:41:59 AM

@kaigangio, am no lawyer but you have made too many mistakes there.

Depending on the amount involved using a lawyer may just take you into a longer chase and you stand to loose a lot more. I think you should try and use a freelance debt collector, they sometimes give good results. Go with the docs/contracts/invoices you have to one and discuss. There will be no consultancy fees and they will probably have a good lawyer of their own with experience in similar issues.
A New Kenya
Kaigangio
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 03, 2009 11:58:48 AM

thanks much know...but consider this, the contract and any agreement were made between me and the owner of the property, but i came to learn later that the property is currently being managed by a realty company and as such, i would not deal with the company...the process of recovering the amounts even if a debt collecter was engaged would take long and i think this client knows that...i therefore felt that putting a legal claim on this property to serve as a colateral for the amounts owed to me would be the best and fastest option for me just in case the fellow was renovating to sell....