wazua Tue, Sep 24, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Odometer clocking on imported used cars
ulemsee
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 29, 2014 12:42:33 PM

Hi all,

There was this article in the papers recently on odometer clocking . I was going through the comments and saw one post that said that JEVIC is not fool-proof because we have some merchants in Japan who tamper with odometer readings even before the car is put up for sale.

What are some ways that an ordinary Kenyan who wishes to import a vehicle can know which merchant is to be trusted and that the reported quality of the vehicle to be imported is correct (in order to avoid spending more on repairs once the vehicle is imported)?
Some people see the glass half full. Others see it half empty.
I see a glass that's twice as big as it needs to be.
― George Carlin
Money Whisperer
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 3:02:02 PM

heheheh. ngumu sana hiyo. gavin bennet said and I agree with him, always assume a car has made 10K-20K per year then do the math.in other words no car that has been in existence for more than five years can have 5oK odometer reading. always assume an engine has more than 100K then after buying doing the 100K service and maintenance. Most enginesif well taken care of can last a lifetime or at least 250K
"Money never sleeps"
jerry
#3 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 4:27:18 PM

How about units inspected by Autoterminal?
The opposite of courage is not cowardice, it's conformity.
premio
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 6:57:55 PM

well 50000kms and below is very possible but sadly doesnt mean that a 45000km car is better than 165000km car. No dealer or seller in japan changes milleage because the Japanese uses the auction grade system which doesnt focus on milleage but on overall condition of the car for example a 145000km car could be grade 4.5 which is very good and a 40000km car be grade 3.5 with worn out interior cracked paintwork depending on use. Having imported over 300 cars from japan i would say avoid 0-50000km they mostly have issues 50000km-150000kms are the best 150000km-250000km high but still good. U cant blame importers its our mindset that makes people rewind them because i have a good car 120000km you wont buy coz its high and you saw one thats done 35000km somewea and yet it was 303000kms reversed. The guidance should be CONDITION CONDITION CONDITION And guys note not every car is a 110 that uses timing belt to be changed at 100000kms
nakujua
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 8:49:32 PM

@premio you are more experienced in the car importation business - but don't you think it would be better to get a low millage car with say worn out seats or chipped paintwork than a high millage one in pristine condition. given that the millage is not tampered with.

at the end of the day if the engine and suspension have moved around a lot and are more worn out that means you will get little life from the car. I could be wrong.
matatuman
#6 Posted : Thursday, May 08, 2014 10:43:02 PM

nakujua wrote:
@premio you are more experienced in the car importation business - but don't you think it would be better to get a low millage car with say worn out seats or chipped paintwork than a high millage one in pristine condition. given that the millage is not tampered with.

at the end of the day if the engine and suspension have moved around a lot and are more worn out that means you will get little life from the car. I could be wrong.

@Nakujua I have previously imported a vehicle with mileage of 250k landed. Its still going strong to date. Works as a matatu, current mileage is 800K plus. Still strong as a horse. Its all about how well taken care of the vehicle is.

The ones you avoid or take the gamble are Subaru engines or any other engines that need a full timing kit and water pump replacement every 100K. Changing the timing belt alone on a Subaru doesnt save you. Depends on the car you are buying.

The reality is the only reasonably priced cars you import are mostly relatively high mileage ie 100K plus or auction grade R vehicles. The average Kenyan can't afford a grade 4 vehicle with mileage below 60K at a japanese auction. And SBT for example sell a reasonable number of grade R vehicles, not that they are bad cars but they are cheaper at the auction.