wazua Sat, Sep 28, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages<12
Berkshire Hathaway AGM - Nebraska, Omaha
zizzi
#21 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2013 12:26:34 AM

zizzi wrote:
Wazuans,

Allow me to share the various summaries of this year's shareholder meeting ...

http://dealbook.nytimes....13-shareholder-meeting/

Twitter Hash Tag - #BRK2013

https://www.youtube.com/...wQ&feature=youtu.be
A brief summary of the company

I forgot the following link which is particularly good as well..

http://www.fool.com/inve...thaway-annual-meet.aspx
zizzi
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 03, 2014 3:08:50 PM

You may follow this year's AGM on twitter #BRK2014.

There will likely be some live blogs as well, but I haven't checked them out. Meeting starts in approx 45 minutes
zizzi
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 03, 2014 3:15:47 PM

Nabwire wrote:
The one I recommended is actually by Lowenstein, it was a good read coz its a biography of his life and takes you through all the stages he went through before he became the Buffett we know.
I wonder if there are more people interested in going coz we can go as a group and split costs, I'm all about being frugal. I would be willing to handle logistics, hotel reservations, car rental if there was a serios group of people interested.

I finally did manage to get to the Lowenstein book... he is a prolific writer. Thanks fpr the recommendation - the book was very insightful!

Perhaps next year - it will be the 50th anniversary of Buffett's purchase of Berkshire - may be a good time to go
zizzi
#24 Posted : Saturday, May 03, 2014 4:19:05 PM

And in case you want to follow the various live blogs, these are the ones I could find.

http://news.morningstar..../article.aspx?id=645622

http://www.fool.com/inve...?source=ihpsitth0000001

http://dealbook.nytimes....edLeft&pgtype=Blogs

http://dataomaha.com/berkshire

If you find any others, do let me know!
murchr
#25 Posted : Tuesday, March 01, 2016 6:39:08 PM

Buffets letter 2016

Quote:
The managers who succeed Charlie and me will build Berkshire’s per-share intrinsic value by
following our simple blueprint of:

(1) constantly improving the basic earning power of our many subsidiaries;

(2) further increasing their earnings through bolt-on acquisitions;

(3) benefiting from the growth of our investees;

(4) repurchasing Berkshire shares when they are available at a meaningful discount from intrinsic value; and

(5) making an occasional large acquisition. Management will also try to maximize results for you by rarely, if ever, issuing Berkshire shares
"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
murchr
#26 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 3:51:12 PM

"There are only two emotions in the market, hope & fear. The problem is you hope when you should fear & fear when you should hope: - Jesse Livermore
nashx
#27 Posted : Saturday, April 30, 2016 11:50:20 PM

zizzi wrote:
Rollout wrote:
Everything Mr Buffett say is sweet for the ear but the fact of the matter is no one has become wealthy by following the fundamentals as Mr Buffett would advise you to. Apart from Mr Buffett no one can name anyone in millioniers club who made their money investing the Buffet ways. You are a millionier because you are an entreprenuer or because you are a corporate raider or an hedge fund manager( short sale and marginal trading).

Income statement is full of top-sides, reserves and true-ups.

Perhaps, but the fear of failure is surely no reason to not try..

Basically, I have no other ideas on how to make cash...so while I can, I am gonna try this.

So far, what i found is that to invest like this, you need an insane amount of discipline. After all the only way to buy a company cheap is when others dont like it...otherwise it would be expensive isnt it? So you need to analyse the company, the balance sheet, especially if it is in trouble, does it have the power to sustain the bad period. You have to make a call and then go with it. The Kenyan market is small and would not necessarily expose an investor to the true vagaries of the market.

Having said that, there have been some amazing companies on the NSE which are cheap..now though, with the rally, very few companies offer true compelling value - their share prices however may still go up substantially but because I compare to the fundamentals, I would not invest..perhaps to my own detriment.

Which are these companies that you consider cheap...for myself fundamentally I consider Kenya re to be a cheap string share...kengen too
Offering my personal finance knowledge for free
sparkly
#28 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 2:03:17 PM

Rollout wrote:
Everything Mr Buffett say is sweet for the ear but the fact of the matter is no one has become wealthy by following the fundamentals as Mr Buffett would advise you to. Apart from Mr Buffett no one can name anyone in millioniers club who made their money investing the Buffet ways. You are a millionier because you are an entreprenuer or because you are a corporate raider or an hedge fund manager( short sale and marginal trading).

@Rollout the buffet way is misunderstood and misrepresented.
Like religion the majority of people just pick what they want to hear. Those who listen and hear "pick low PE stocks" go ahead and do so. Similarly people who hear "Do not invest in technology stocks" "wait for the market to tank" "Buy only companies that have been around for 100 yrs" "Don't buy if you don't trust the management" "Diversify if you don't know what you are doing".

The truth is that Buffet advocates for quality of investments. He is not an entrepreneur but is good at choosing people who are.

His is a formula for passive investors, how and where to put your idle cash with more than a 50% chance of getting a positive return.

The Buffet way does not teach you how to be rich or how to start a business. It teaches how to preserve capital.

Ni hayo tu
Life is short. Live passionately.
MadDoc
#29 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 2:10:30 PM

nashx wrote:
zizzi wrote:
Rollout wrote:

Basically, I have no other ideas on how to make cash...so while I can, I am gonna try this.

So far, what i found is that to invest like this, you need an insane amount of discipline. After all the only way to buy a company cheap is when others dont like it...otherwise it would be expensive isnt it? So you need to analyse the company, the balance sheet, especially if it is in trouble, does it have the power to sustain the bad period. You have to make a call and then go with it. The Kenyan market is small and would not necessarily expose an investor to the true vagaries of the market.

Having said that, there have been some amazing companies on the NSE which are cheap..now though, with the rally, very few companies offer true compelling value - their share prices however may still go up substantially but because I compare to the fundamentals, I would not invest..perhaps to my own detriment.

Which are these companies that you consider cheap...for myself fundamentally I consider Kenya re to be a cheap string share...kengen too

Williamson Tea and Kapchorua
kimanimsc
#30 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 4:16:24 PM

MadDoc wrote:
nashx wrote:
zizzi wrote:
Rollout wrote:

For Williamson, does 8,756,320 shares include last year's 1:1 bonus?
MadDoc
#31 Posted : Sunday, May 01, 2016 6:32:12 PM

kimanimsc wrote:
MadDoc wrote:
nashx wrote:
zizzi wrote:
Rollout wrote:

For Williamson, does 8,756,320 shares include last year's 1:1 bonus?

Hapana. It's around 17.5 million shares right now