wazua Sat, Apr 27, 2024
Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages«<23456>
Truck - long distance transport business
Kratos
#61 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 7:35:43 PM

GGK wrote:
[quote=Kratos]@ Mkimwa/Rankaz/Guru me/GGK

Am told the speed governors do not apply to all trucks is this true and which ones are affected?

Apparently all commercial service vehicles with tare weight of 3408kgs and above will need to fit these new digital speed governors

See link http://www.ntsa.go.ke/im...7%20of%2016-12-2013.pdf[/quote]

Thanks @ GGK that's what I was looking for!

“People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one, and if you repeat it frequently enough, people will sooner or later believe it.” ― Walter C. Langer
kysse
#62 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 8:25:16 PM

@ clk and Mkimwa, I have saved your contacts and you will hear from me soon.
Thank you.
CLK
#63 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:14:23 AM

Ric dees wrote:

I have been in this business for 2 years now, and as rightly put - its not for the faint hearted. I am in fuel transport servicing 2-3 year contracts to the Great lakes region. KLA, Kigali, DRC and Juba. The are all 6x2 Axors semi-used acquired from UK where i get financing from.

I have employed someone who deals with the day to day running of the trucks, so do not deal with the nitty gritty of the everyday operations. The easily make $2500 per week however i have been exiting the business slolwy now remaining with 3 trucks as have other ventures to pursue.

The make or break in this business is kind of contract, crew and cash flow - The guy who gave me the contracts introduced me to a petrol station owner who gives me fuel for 60-90 days and
then pay him.I have seen guys get it wrong when they try to "tega" goods at the port and for the life of me this is an avenue i would not pursue.

Like all things i must say it was fun, learnt loads now there other fish to fry.

@Ric Dees, care to transfer your contacts and contracts to me as you exit? my email address jallkke@yahoo.com
FRM2011
#64 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 8:31:05 AM

@mkimwa, where are we non the issue of speed governors.

I can see buzeki has weighed in since most trucks have inbuilt speed governors and installing the new gadgets would void the manufacturer warranty.

Luckily for us, even eng.kamau knows crossing a guy like buzeki is the easiest way to loose your job.
mawinder
#65 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 9:48:35 AM

Any wazuan with information on the process of contracting trucks to DHL,SDV TRANSAMI,G4S the returns and any other important information
Mkimwa
#66 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 11:05:36 AM

The cost of non-compliance will be higher that the cost of complying and fitting the speed governor.

Better to install the devices, and avoid all the cops demanding 2-5K each. Tomorrow, some cops will bathe in money.
kysse
#67 Posted : Tuesday, April 01, 2014 8:55:55 AM

@CLK and Mkimwa please check your Inbox and quote
asap

kysse
#68 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 10:28:09 PM

mawinder wrote:
Any wazuan with information on the process of contracting trucks to DHL,SDV TRANSAMI,G4S the returns and any other important information

Just go sell yourself to the company. If you meet their requirements (not yours) and the demand is there,then you will smile.
Rem. they already have contracted transporters so it may not come on a silver plate.

kysse
#69 Posted : Sunday, April 06, 2014 12:08:05 PM

Whoever said that logistics is bread and butter.

Hata sunday work goes on.smile
Rankaz13
#70 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 10:45:39 AM

There's this story:

Fresh row over axle load rule

Someone decode this bit:

Quote:
“The trucks we drive have six-axles and should weigh a maximum of 52 tonnes but at the weighbridge the truck is weighed on the five-axle and we end up being charged for overload of up to seven tonnes,” said one driver.
Life is like playing a violin solo in public and learning the instrument as one goes on.
Angelica _ann
#71 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 1:39:35 PM

Who uses Track and Trace services on their truck, how effective?
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
FRM2011
#72 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 3:10:30 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

@angelica, I use them and they are fine. Their support and customer service is fantastic
Mkimwa
#73 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:21:32 PM

Angelica _ann wrote:

Very reliable, you need to ensure the tracker has airtime. On the few times I have called the Customer care team, they sometimes had no idea what was happening. Had a number of issues in the installation - they keep giving dates after dates, and their technicians are the "jua kali" type. They left some things hanging, destroyed some AC vent while at it.

Installation was a mess, otherwise the service is good!
Angelica _ann
#74 Posted : Wednesday, April 16, 2014 4:27:05 PM

Thanks guys, i will fit one and give feedback after some period of measure and care! Ashanteni!
In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins - cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later - H Geneen
Mjasirii
#75 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 12:02:50 PM

kysse wrote:
@CLK and Mkimwa please check your Inbox and quote
asap

@Kysse if you have more send my way mjasirii@gmail.com
Coolio
#76 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:23:14 AM

Angelica _ann wrote:

I use it also and it's very reliable. Once on while when my vehicle is in remote areas of Moyale, they call for confirmation for upto three times a day!
Nadondosha meli kubwa seuze ngalawa!
Prime
#77 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 11:05:16 AM

Coolio wrote:
Angelica _ann wrote:

I use it also and it's very reliable. Once on while when my vehicle is in remote areas of Moyale, they call for confirmation for upto three times a day!

I found their charges rather high. For matatus they were charging us 30 k installation and 10k yearly fee. Others are doing at between 15-20 one off installation fee.
kysse
#78 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 12:42:51 PM

Rankaz13 wrote:
There's this story:

Fresh row over axle load rule

Someone decode this bit:
Quote:
“The trucks we drive have six-axles and should weigh a maximum of 52 tonnes but at the weighbridge the truck is weighed on the five-axle and we end up being charged for overload of up to seven tonnes,” said one driver.

Ok I will try.

Mr.Ngatia replied by saying '“The weight should be distributed on the axles and if a truck is carrying 52 tonnes with one axle lifted, it means the entire load is exerted on five axles. The truck should thus be weighed on the five-axle weight limit,'

Ok lets go to the rules on their website

1. Any vehicle established to be overloaded on the Axle or Axle Group but is within the prescribed Gross Vehicle Weight as per the Axle configuration shall be allowed to redistribute its cargo to within tolerance before being re-weighed and allowed to proceed with its journey. Such vehicles will not be charged.

2. That any vehicle which is overloaded on the Axle and Axle Group and cannot redistribute its cargo to within allowable tolerance shall be charged.

So lets say,we have a 6 axle truck fit to carry 52mtons as per the rules;

'Vehicle and drawbar trailer with total of 6 axles' =Max 52,000gw Tick

The same truck is within the prescribed Gross Vehicle Weight as per the Axle configuration and is thus allowed to redistribute its cargo to within tolerance,weighed before proceeding.It cannot be Charged

I think this is what Ngatia is referring to but he didn't elaborate well, thus leaving room for thieves to take advantage.

Now let's say you have a vehicle with 3 axles which is permitted to carry 26,000kg but instead carries 28 mtons.
Such a vehicle is overloaded on the Axle and Axle Group and cannot redistribute its cargo to within allowable tolerance It shall be charged.

Now now who's this making money out of ignorant transporters because they will pass on that charge to clients.
Mkimwa
#79 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 1:40:30 PM

Let me attempt to explain the issue.

Last year, KENHA banned the use of dummy axles, or lift axles which are ineffective.

Dummy Axle
A dummy axle is one which is fitted onto the vehicle to change the axle configuration from 4x2 config to 6x2 configuration. 2 major reason for this:
- Allowable weight: Essentially, this means that the prime mover will be weighed on 3 axles, instead of 2 axles, thereby increasing the allowable cargo weight of the vehicle.
- Cost - a 4x2 vehicle, e.g. Actros 1844 is much much cheaper than a 6x2, e.g. Actros 2544. Transporters acquire a 4x2 vehicle, then fit the dummy axle, ending up with a 6x2 vehicle at much lower cost.

Lift Axles
Most manufacturers will fit an axle which can be lifted or lowered on a 6x2 config. When the vehicle is loaded, the axle lowers automatically. When the vehicle is empty, the axle lifts, saving on wear and tear for the tyres fitted on this axle. It is commonly known as the "Terios"..

Some transporters will modify this automatic mechanism - by installing a switch to manually raise or lower the axle. By so doing they gain control of the axle: 2 reason for this:
- Lift the axle even when the vehicle is loaded. This again saves the wear and tear of the tyres on this axle. The driver then lowers the axle on weighbridges only.
- Traction: In wet or slippery conditions, this axle lowers the grip on the diff tyres. By lifting this axle, the diff has better grip and can be better controlled.

KENHA essentially wants to stamp out these two practices, hence the ban, and the consequent crackdown.
FRM2011
#80 Posted : Wednesday, August 20, 2014 9:27:25 AM

@mkimwa, need to consult on something and you are the veteran in this biz.

Kindly avail email address.