#301 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 11:02:11 AM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
bartum wrote:
am selling a brand new nissan vanette 2000cc,diesel, manual KBY

Hiyo Vannette mileage ni genuine ama you have rewound the odometer like most sellers in Nairobi? Whats the mileage and Price?

2000cc for toyota is a petrol engine. I'm not sure for Nissan.

@Jerry The Vanette is that tiny van, Inafanana na mkate ya 10bob. Its petrol version is 1800cc same chassis as Mazda Bongo.

@matatuman, thanks. I thought it was meant for use as a matatu!

Oh yes, it indeed is used as a matatu. Either 11 seats kawaida or 8-seater shuttle.

Rankaz welcome back... hehehe. You had disappeared with the rules!!
bartum
#302 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:46:26 PM

Prime wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:
bartum wrote:

Hiyo Vannette mileage ni genuine ama you have rewound the odometer like most sellers in Nairobi? Whats the mileage and Price?

2000cc for toyota is a petrol engine. I'm not sure for Nissan.

@Jerry The Vanette is that tiny van, Inafanana na mkate ya 10bob. Its petrol version is 1800cc same chassis as Mazda Bongo.

@matatuman, thanks. I thought it was meant for use as a matatu!

Oh yes, it indeed is used as a matatu. Either 11 seats kawaida or 8-seater shuttle.

Rankaz welcome back... hehehe. You had disappeared with the rules!!

the mileage is real Genuine, I intended to use in matatu biz but the many rules made me change.I don't know where the mileage is changed but still I will not do that. price 920,000
bartum
#303 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 7:50:58 PM

matatuman wrote:
bartum wrote:

mileage 71,000 diesel manual 2008/12,landed 2weeks ago,log book received today. 920000.call 0721499369/0789439886 owner
#304 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 9:51:34 AM

My KDH200 toyota Hi-Ace KBY (2007/08) is still on sale at 2.3M. I'm fitting Omata digital governor today. TLB is still a problem but I'm sure April will not end b4 there is a breakthrough.
matatuman
#305 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:23:50 PM

@Jerry, what have you heard? From my limited knowledge 14 seaters are not being registered. I don't know if its temporary or not. And i don't understand how come we have some "newish" KBYs on the road unless they have been in customs bonded warehouses since last yr.
#306 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 7:46:30 PM

matatuman wrote:
@Jerry, what have you heard? From my limited knowledge 14 seaters are not being registered. I don't know if its temporary or not. And i don't understand how come we have some "newish" KBYs on the road unless they have been in customs bonded warehouses since last yr.

@matatuman, It's your faith and not knowledge that is limited! You are right about the rules but I don't think (nor believe!) all the KBYs landed by 31st Dec 2013.
#307 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 8:31:32 PM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

@matatuman, It's your faith and not knowledge that is limited! You are right about the rules but I don't think (nor believe!) all the KBYs landed by 31st Dec 2013.

Brokers galore. Heard of obscene figures being mentioned lakini jo, some raise more queries than answers. As we speak, I know of a KBY/P currently on the road with all documents.
#308 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 10:43:14 PM

jerry wrote:
matatuman wrote:

Brokers galore. Heard of obscene figures being mentioned lakini jo, some raise more queries than answers. As we speak, I know of a KBY/P currently on the road with all documents.

Noted!
Prime
#309 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 11:34:56 AM

Guess its time to start thinking of the next big thing transport wise... Though obviously 14 seaters will always be registered just before elections... They should just allow and let be. After all, Let them compete with the big buses. the customer is always the beneficiary.
#310 Posted : Tuesday, April 22, 2014 10:37:07 PM

Prime wrote:
Guess its time to start thinking of the next big thing transport wise... Though obviously 14 seaters will always be registered just before elections... They should just allow and let be. After all, Let them compete with the big buses. the customer is always the beneficiary.

True. what I have noted over time is that most, if given a choice, opt for 14-seaters for short journeys of around 1-4hrs.
matatuman
#311 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 9:15:26 PM

Prime wrote:

True. what I have noted over time is that most, if given a choice, opt for 14-seaters for short journeys of around 1-4hrs.

@Rankaz. How hardy is the Vanette/Bongo as a matatu. I have seen they are very popular especially in Nakuru and Eldoret. Whats the consumption like for both the diesel and the petrol compared to say a Townace?
#312 Posted : Wednesday, April 23, 2014 10:18:50 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

@Rankaz. How hardy is the Vanette/Bongo as a matatu. I have seen they are very popular especially in Nakuru and Eldoret. Whats the consumption like for both the diesel and the petrol compared to say a Townace?

Very popular in Embu and surrounding areas too. The double-axle (rear) one has a load capacity almost comparable to a shark at 1200kg. In comparison, the single one is 1000kg. The rear leaf springs also make it quite hardy in so far as loading is concerned. Not very sure on fuel consumption but the one guy I've ever asked told me his consumed about 2300-2500/= worth of super petrol from Embu to Nbi and back. This was around Dec last year.
matatuman
#313 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:22:01 AM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

Very popular in Embu and surrounding areas too. The double-axle (rear) one has a load capacity almost comparable to a shark at 1200kg. In comparison, the single one is 1000kg. The rear leaf springs also make it quite hardy in so far as loading is concerned. Not very sure on fuel consumption but the one guy I've ever asked told me his consumed about 2300-2500/= worth of super petrol from Embu to Nbi and back. This was around Dec last year.

Tricky, thats comparable to a petrol box. I am converted by the way, petrol is the new diesel. But my route is fairly short, not sure how a petrol van would fare on a long route.
#314 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:33:50 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

Tricky, thats comparable to a petrol box. I am converted by the way, petrol is the new diesel. But my route is fairly short, not sure how a petrol van would fare on a long route.

Incidentally, as @Prime may confirm, that's about the same that a 7l diesel spends on fuel for the same route & distance.

I haven't yet had a petrol-engine Shark but I've had both diesel (2300cc 3-CE engine,began as auto then later changed to manual) as well as petrol (1800cc 7K EFI engine, manual) tu-nguruwes and I've always noticed that for the same distance and load, the petrol one consumes more by about 500-1000/=. This can partly be attributed to the higher price of petrol in comparison to diesel, though I must also concede recent diesel engines have greatly improved in terms of fuel efficiency. Both engines give very comparable km/l figures.

Our route is quite hilly with Kambiti being the main/longest hilly area. I've heard it said that the petrol box, in comparison to diesel, is slightly 'laggard' when going up these hills, especially as a 14-seater. Torque perhaps?
matatuman
#315 Posted : Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:59:01 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

Incidentally, as @Prime may confirm, that's about the same that a 7l diesel spends on fuel for the same route & distance.

I haven't yet had a petrol-engine Shark but I've had both diesel (2300cc 3-CE engine,began as auto then later changed to manual) as well as petrol (1800cc 7K EFI engine, manual) tu-nguruwes and I've always noticed that for the same distance and load, the petrol one consumes more by about 500-1000/=. This can partly be attributed to the higher price of petrol in comparison to diesel, though I must also concede recent diesel engines have greatly improved in terms of fuel efficiency. Both engines give very comparable km/l figures.

Our route is quite hilly with Kambiti being the main/longest hilly area. I've heard it said that the petrol box, in comparison to diesel, is slightly 'laggard' when going up these hills, especially as a 14-seater. Torque perhaps?

True, the petrol box is a laggard, doesn't have good low end torque. The gearbox ratios aren't optimised, i feel it "over-revvs" sometimes. It can't keep up with the diesel flat out but then again, i really don't need all that power. And i don't trust any matatu driver with the raw power that the diesel offers, most just get too excited.

I wouldn't be so confident about the Petrol's perfomance on a hilly route when loaded to capacity. I need to compare notes with people having the same on such a route.
Prime
#316 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 11:33:47 AM

Slowly by slowly Im also moving towards petrol. With the speed limit being set at 80 and a relatively flat topography the diesel does not offer the oomph saaana. I have noticed that the drivers are still making the same number of trips they used to make when doing 100kph etc. What I would be very curious about is a manual petrol engine. Few but they are there. But indeed, petrol manual vans are sluggish. Especially when you need to overtake on hills. But on cruising speed... quiet and smooth.

@matatuman... did you import? Dis you succeed with the registration. Guys here are still registering but the figure quoted was a cool 50k
matatuman
#317 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 3:18:52 PM

Prime wrote:
Slowly by slowly Im also moving towards petrol. With the speed limit being set at 80 and a relatively flat topography the diesel does not offer the oomph saaana. I have noticed that the drivers are still making the same number of trips they used to make when doing 100kph etc. What I would be very curious about is a manual petrol engine. Few but they are there. But indeed, petrol manual vans are sluggish. Especially when you need to overtake on hills. But on cruising speed... quiet and smooth.

@matatuman... did you import? Dis you succeed with the registration. Guys here are still registering but the figure quoted was a cool 50k

I haven't imported yet, the information i have is sketchy. I need to meet someone who has actually imported and had it registered this year as a matatu. The 50k is a non issue, thats negligible if you are getting legit papers. My only question is why are the brokers demanding the 50k?

1.Is it because saccos had exhausted their allocations?
2.Is it because they had not requested an extension to allow them to register new vans past the supposed Dec 31st deadline? or
3.Is it because the registration ban is on for real and some underhand deals are going on.

All in all i feel there is need for more clarity on this by the govt. The guyz you say who are registering? Are they fresh imports?
matatuman
#318 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 3:26:31 PM

By the way, one thing is for sure, 14 seaters aren't going anywhere. At least not as long as Kidero and co. are buying Foton buses. Very comfy and stylish but performance is wanting.
Prime
#319 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 7:15:06 PM

matatuman wrote:
Prime wrote:

I haven't imported yet, the information i have is sketchy. I need to meet someone who has actually imported and had it registered this year as a matatu. The 50k is a non issue, thats negligible if you are getting legit papers. My only question is why are the brokers demanding the 50k?

1.Is it because saccos had exhausted their allocations?
2.Is it because they had not requested an extension to allow them to register new vans past the supposed Dec 31st deadline? or
3.Is it because the registration ban is on for real and some underhand deals are going on.

All in all i feel there is need for more clarity on this by the govt. The guyz you say who are registering? Are they fresh imports?

I agree. Its a grey area. The government needs to come out clearly and state its position as regards the registration. The guy who was telling us about the 50k stated that there were like 7 guys who needed to be greased to pitisha. The guy is however a known broker so I would not rule out on the fact that he will also eat something. He is a sacco official. I am however seeing numberless units being registered. Thats as late as yesterday. Some guy was taking importation papers to the TLB guys through the dude above. On that bit I cannot speak with authority. We will wait and see.
Prime
#320 Posted : Friday, April 25, 2014 7:20:03 PM

matatuman wrote:
By the way, one thing is for sure, 14 seaters aren't going anywhere. At least not as long as Kidero and co. are buying Foton buses. Very comfy and stylish but performance is wanting.

The trend seems to be the opposite within the city. Majority of the routes are having the bigger busses taking over. Nissans and sharks may soon remain on the non-lucrative routes. Upcountry is still tricky. I dont understand why guys will not embrace small buses, despite them being more comfortable and spacious. Probably it would be because they fill pole pole